PDA

View Full Version : Getting burnt files from dvd without Nero?

--Wolf--
17-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Another question where I have no idea what I'm doing (never burn cds)

Anyway, I burnt a file onto a DVD-R disc using Nero 7. All went well. Now I'm trying to get the file off the cd (have been told you can drag) but I don't see the file anywhere.

I know I'm looking in the wrong place - I'm looking where you would normally drag the files on/off in D: drive in my computer, but nothing shows under the disc there.

I need to be able to get the files off without Nero (am trying it with it still installed atm tho) so does anyone know how? It's probably simple, I know.

Jen
17-08-2007, 05:53 PM
You saying the CD (or DVD) is appearing blank under Windows Explorer?

Shortcircuit
17-08-2007, 05:58 PM
If you've got XP you can go into 'my computer' and in the window will be icons for you hard drive and CD/DVD player. Click on the player and the file should be shown.

If the file isn't showing in the window there are a few options...

it hasn't burnt to disc (it doesn't matter what sort of file it is- if it's on the disk it will be shown under the DVD player).

The disc has been put in upside down (don't laugh- I've done it!)

The DVD player can take a while to start up... give it time to 'get up to speed' and find the file on the disc before clicking on the DVD icon. Also the light on the front of the DVD player should be blinking to show it is reading the disc.

If nothing is there after that it's a good bet the file didn't get burnt properly.

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Did it FINALISE it.

And HOW exactly did you burn it? As a data disk?? If u did, did u select data disk and add the file, then finalise it, if youre not going to add anything else to it.

And what kind of file is it?

--Wolf--
17-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Probably could've been said in a few words, but I felt like drawing a crosshair.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/wolfy187/Imageoftheyear.jpg

I'll mess around in Nero and try and burn it again.

EDIT: And Speedy, I used DVD Data Disc, I think I finalized it? I know it said burn successful after like 10 - 20 mins tho.

File is a folder with pretty much every file you can think of in it (Well, not really) but music files, pics, word docs, vids, etc.

EDIT2: Went into ISO1_DVD.nri on the desktop (mustve made it while burning) and it's now "writing to disc", this time it's a different looking screen so maybe I needed to do this afterwards, which its doing now?

Shortcircuit
17-08-2007, 06:14 PM
What do you get when you click/double click on the DVD drive icon? That's when the file should show up.

--Wolf--
17-08-2007, 06:23 PM
That's what I just showed you...?

Shortcircuit
17-08-2007, 06:26 PM
EDIT2: Went into ISO1_DVD.nri on the desktop (mustve made it while burning) and it's now "writing to disc", this time it's a different looking screen so maybe I needed to do this afterwards, which its doing now?

Eh? Doesn't sound right to me.

You should be able to burn all your different types of files to DVD as a standard 'data' disc. There also shouldn't be any need to finalise the DVD unless as Speedy said - you have finished recording to the disc (you cannot record more after you finalise it) and the only reason you would absolutely need to finalise a disc is if you were playing an SVCD in a home DVD player or similar.

Speedy might be able to tell you what that thing on your desktop is though :)

Shortcircuit
17-08-2007, 06:30 PM
That's what I just showed you...?

No, I mean from that screenshot you have on photobucket... you click on the icon where it says DVD/CD player, you can double click to open the DVD 'folder' or right click then choose 'open' or 'explore' from the menu.

You should then see all the contents of the DVD... all the files and folders that you recorded set out like in your 'my docs folder'. From there you can select the ones you want copy them or drag them to folders on your computer.

--Wolf--
17-08-2007, 06:37 PM
If I could see a icon that says DVD/CD player, I'd click on it.

Shortcircuit
17-08-2007, 06:41 PM
If I could see a icon that says DVD/CD player, I'd click on it.

I think we're getting confused :D

Is there still nothing showing in the second window down (where you've drawn the circle and cross) ?

--Wolf--
17-08-2007, 06:42 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/wolfy187/ISO1.jpg

That's after the 'second' burn.

EDIT: Everything is exactly the same as the screenshot.

Shortcircuit
17-08-2007, 06:49 PM
OK, did the disc pop out of the drive when you finished burning?

You can minimise the nero screen (click on the - button at the top to send it to the task bar.

Go into my computer then click on the DVD/CD rom icon like before and if you have burnt the file to DVD correctly the 'Troy' folder will show up.

Jen
17-08-2007, 06:50 PM
In Nero, go Recorder > Choose Recorder. Make sure your DVD/CD writer is selected and not "Image Recorder". Then try to burn the disk again.

--Wolf--
17-08-2007, 06:53 PM
I know how to minimize....I'm not that stupid :P

Obviously it hasn't burnt correctly if that's where it should be showing up (first screenshot)

Will try that Jen.

EDIT: Jen, where exactly do I change it? It wont let me change it right before I burn:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/wolfy187/Express.jpg

intel hunter
17-08-2007, 07:08 PM
I know how to minimize....I'm not that stupid :P

Obviously it hasn't burnt correctly if that's where it should be showing up (first screenshot)

Will try that Jen.

EDIT: Jen, where exactly do I change it? It wont let me change it right before I burn:

It looks like your burner isn't recognized by Nero.

Jen
17-08-2007, 07:10 PM
Are you using the Nero software that came with your DVD-CD burner? What version is it? [edit: I see you did mention it was Nero 7]

Shortcircuit
17-08-2007, 07:15 PM
I'm sure you know how to minimise... but who knows nowdays :)

It has just clicked- you were trying to save it as an ISO from the desktop (an image used for live linux discs etc). Do not use that file that you saved to the desktop (ISO-Troy.nri)

Do this instead:

Fire up Nero, chose the DVD tab, then 'make data disc'... it will open the Nero Express window where you can add your 'troy' folder like before, click the next button and you can record the disc.

When the recording is finished a message will pop up saying 'burn process completed'... what do you want to do next?... etc, just follow the steps until the dvd ejects.

Get out of the Nero program, insert the disc, go to 'my computer' click on DVD/CD rom etc and your 'troy' folder should be there on disc.

--Wolf--
17-08-2007, 08:47 PM
It asks me to save the image file (to the desktop) as soon as I click burn ^^.

If my drive is not recognized, can I not burn? Is there another way to get info onto a dvd disc?

(and yeah, I just downloaded Nero 7 today, no disc)

Jen
17-08-2007, 09:00 PM
(and yeah, I just downloaded Nero 7 today, no disc)Trial version? Contact Nero support and see why your burner is not supported by their product that you are considering buying.

Misty
27-04-2008, 08:02 AM

That happens with me if I put the disc in and the pop-up window comes up and you go from there. In my situation it choses CD instead of DVD and you can't go back to re-select. You need to close the pop-up window and go to Start and chose Nero Express from there.
Misty :2cents:

Speedy Gonzales
27-04-2008, 09:14 AM
If that last pic you posted (The one Misty quoted), is only showing image recorder, you maybe using an OEM version, that didnt come with your burner.

Which is why your burner doesnt appear in it.

And if your burner doesnt appear in Nero / Recorder menu / choose recorder.

That probably means the same thing.