PDA

View Full Version : Up scaling SD to HD video (graphics card supported)

Bertram
17-08-2007, 02:22 PM
The graphics card Iím using (NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT 512M GDDR3) has support for up scaling video to 1920x1080i resolution.

Setup I have is dual displays with one being DVI from graphics card to HDMI in on my LCD TV. However, would love to be able to work out how I can up scale SD video content to 720p.

Done a bit of searching but come up blank, most is about DVD players that have up scaling to HD support.

The player I mostly use is BSPlayer but canít find a way there of switching SD content to a higher resolution.

Any tips on where to look to enable this feature on SD content playback?

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Have you installed the drivers for it, and looked under its settings, by right mouse on the desktop / properties??

To see if the option is there.

Bertram
17-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Installed drivers that came with card and later went to manufactures web site and d/l & installed latest drivers.

Package installs nvida control panel. I have looked thorough out there, but nothing obvious.

What I have been hoping for is being able to choose what SD content I up scale to 720p, rather that have everything I play up scaled to 720p.

Iím beginning to think may be its a feature that comes with the software media player?

BIFF
17-08-2007, 03:56 PM
If you have the resolution set to the native resolution of the LCD, and you view a video full screen it is 'upscaled'.

You will need to be more specific as to the content you are wanting to upscale and we can give you more detail. For example if you are wanting to watch DVDs upscaled, you might have to stump up for the Nvidia dvd decoder.
If you use this decoder, it will automatically use Nvidia Pureview to scale the mpeg2 dvd image using the graphics card hardware. Using DXVA and VMR9 accelleration in media player (search using google for more info) will also offload some of the rendering to hardware on the card.
If you use ffdshow I believe it has some excellent upscalling code in it, though it may not be super easy to get it working -I've never meddled with it.

Bertram
17-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks BIFF :)

The resolution I mainly use on LCD TV is 1280 x 720.

Its seems then when I view in that resolution in full screen video content lower than that resolution would be automatically upscaled to 1280 x 720 from what you say, but quality is not that good. When compared to some video content I have in 1280x720, but didn't expect the upscaled quality on lower reslution video to be as good as true 720p video.

Do use ffdshow codec, so will look a bit closer at that.