PDA

View Full Version : Gaming PC

Beezleboss
17-08-2007, 01:46 AM
Hi I'm getting ready to either upgrade or get a new gaming set up
i really don't know much of the lingo and stuff but I am looking to be able to play all the latest games aka Crysis and similar games what i really need help with is if i should upgrade and get someone to install everything or to just go for a completely new system and for either option what components to go for and best prices and all that
I am not rich so cheaper the better but not a real priority as much as having a kick ass setup
i am fairly useless and any help would be very much appreciated below are my current specs
P.S thanks too anyone who takes some time out of there lives to help me out

SiSoftware Sandra

Processor
Model : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+
Speed : 2.41GHz
Model Number : 3400 (estimated)
Cores per Processor : 1 Unit
Threads per Core : 1 Unit
Internal Data Cache : 64kB Synchronous, Write-Back, 2-way set, 64 byte line size
L2 On-board Cache : 512kB ECC Synchronous, Write-Back, 16-way set, 64 byte line size

Mainboard
Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
MP Support : 1 Processor
MP APIC : Yes
System BIOS : Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG
Mainboard : MS-7030
Total Memory : 1GB DDR-SDRAM

Chipset 1
Model : Micro-Star International Co Ltd (MSI) nforce3 CPU to PCI Bridge
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 804MHz (1608MHz data rate)

Chipset 2
Model : Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Athlon 64 / Opteron HyperTransport Technology Configuration
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 804MHz (1608MHz data rate)
Total Memory : 1GB DDR-SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed : 2x 201MHz (402MHz data rate)

Video System
Monitor/Panel : Plug and Play Monitor
Adapter : RADEON X800 PRO
Adapter : RADEON X800 PRO Secondary

Physical Storage Devices
Removable Drive : Floppy disk drive
Hard Disk : ST3160023A
Hard Disk : ST3250823A
CD-ROM/DVD : LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1653S (CD 48X Rd, 48X Wr) (DVD 6X Rd, 6X Wr)
CD-ROM/DVD : BM5360F HSC577I SCSI CdRom Device (CD 32X Rd) (DVD 4X Rd)

Logical Storage Devices
Hard Disk (C: ) : 149GB (13GB, 9% Free Space) (NTFS)
Fun Box (D: ) : 233GB (121MB, 0% Free Space) (NTFS)
CD-ROM/DVD (E: ) : N/A
CD-ROM/DVD (F: ) : N/A
3.5" 1.44MB (A: ) : N/A

Peripherals
Serial/Parallel Port(s) : 2 COM / 1 LPT
USB Controller/Hub : Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
USB Controller/Hub : USB Root Hub
FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub : VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Keyboard : Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse : HID-compliant mouse
Human Interface : Logitech Dual Action (HID)
Human Interface : Logitech Dual Action USB
Human Interface : USB Human Interface Device

MultiMedia Device(s)
Device : Standard Game Port
Device : CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device

Communication Device(s)
Device : Intel(R) 536EP Modem

Power Management
Mains (AC) Line Status : On-Line

Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Home 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)
Platform Compliance : Win32 x86

if theres anything I have left out just let me know as i stated above im fairly useless :)

The_End_Of_Reality
17-08-2007, 07:13 AM
Have a look at the other gaming PC thread...

IMO to be able to play the likes of crysis you will probably need a new setup...

These are the recommended system requirements for Crysis:
CPU: Dual-Core CPU (Athlon X2 / Pentium D / Core 2 Duo)
Graphics: Nvidia 7800 or ATI X1800 (SM 3.0)
RAM: 1.5GB+
HDD: 6GB
Internet: 512k+ (128k+ upstream)
Optical Drive: DVD
Software: DX9 with Windows XP / Vista

I personally would not want to run any game at or below recommended specs.

Just how much do you want to spend? BTW cheap system and kick ass system do not come in the same scentence.

JSF_enthusiast
17-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Isn't a DirectX 10 card what you want at the moment?

The_End_Of_Reality
17-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Isn't a DirectX 10 card what you want at the moment? To play DX10 games at thier full potential, that and Vista...

MonolithNZ
17-08-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm grabbing myself a ASUS EN8800GTS (around $500) if you want a great gaming system then obviously the graphics card needs to be the best you can afford.

JSF_enthusiast
17-08-2007, 08:19 PM
You probably should look to change to a dual core system, at least a intel core 2 duo. The AMD chips have fallen behind again technology wise.

I would probably sell that box off on trade me or something like and start with a clean box, you could keep your copy of XP and its likely that your box will come with vista, so you could use XP now and when vista gets a bit more patched up you could switch.

SolMiester
18-08-2007, 11:41 AM
You have an AGP board there, and as gaming requires powerful graphics cards, you are limited to over-priced low to mid range cards, if you can find a DX10 one for Crysis.
Basicly, you need a new architecture there buddy....now its not easy to do it is stages if you are strapped for cash like most of us....Gaming is costly, and it is really a lot of dosh to put down just to play games.
If you could get one of the combo boards, you maybe able to keep parts of your existing setup and slowly change the parts.
If i was building a new system right now, it would have to be dual core.

Unfortunately, you have a socket 754 chip, which means you will have to sell that and your motherboard.

How about a Asrock cordual board $137 ish (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4CoreDual-VSTA), you could keep the AGP card for now, the memory and add another 1gb stick for dual channel, and also buy a cheap cor2duo E2140 for about $220.

Then when Nvidia releases the G92 in late Oct, the G80 PCI 88xx series would be a steal. You still have an upgrade path of DDR2 and a big Quad Core next year or faster Cor2Duo?

SolMiester
18-08-2007, 12:43 PM
You have an AGP board there, and as gaming requires powerful graphics cards, you are limited to over-priced low to mid range cards, if you can find a DX10 one for Crysis.
Basicly, you need a new architecture there buddy....now its not easy to do it is stages if you are strapped for cash like most of us....Gaming is costly, and it is really a lot of dosh to put down just to play games.
If you could get one of the combo boards, you maybe able to keep parts of your existing setup and slowly change the parts.
If i was building a new system right now, it would have to be dual core.

Unfortunately, you have a socket 754 chip, which means you will have to sell that and your motherboard.

How about a Asrock cordual board $137 ish (http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4CoreDual-VSTA), you could keep the AGP card for now, the memory and add another 1gb stick for dual channel, and also buy a cheap cor2duo E2140 for about $100.

Then when Nvidia releases the G92 in late Oct, the G80 PCI 88xx series would be a steal. You still have an upgrade path of DDR2 and a big Quad Core next year or faster Cor2Duo?

Fixed!

SolMiester
23-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Anyone tried these Asrock 4CoreDual-VSTA Motherboard's?

Pete O'Neil
23-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Anyone tried these Asrock 4CoreDual-VSTA Motherboard's?
The PCIe 16x slot is only actually 4x and provided off the southbridge, I reckon it would probably bottleneck a 8800GTS or higher. Never used one personally but with the prices of ram and motherboards so low in my opinion its kinda waste of time.

pctek
23-08-2007, 06:32 PM
I am looking to be able to play all the latest games aka Crysis

Hard Disk (C: ) : 149GB (13GB, 9% Free Space) (NTFS)
Fun Box (D: ) : 233GB (121MB, 0% Free Space) (NTFS)

Thats what you can keep along with your DVD.

New Motherboard, new CPU, new RAM, new graphics card and a new PSU to run it all is whats required.

I would not get less than a 8800GTS for graphics.
Dual Core CPU, quad if budget allows.
Motherboard to suit the CPU.
DDR2-667 at minimum, 2GB minimum also.

Enermax is a good brand of PSU. 500w or so.

SolMiester
24-08-2007, 11:39 AM
The PCIe 16x slot is only actually 4x and provided off the southbridge, I reckon it would probably bottleneck a 8800GTS or higher. Never used one personally but with the prices of ram and motherboards so low in my opinion its kinda waste of time.

Yeah, knew about the 4x PCI slot, however I really like the fact you can mix and match if you are struggling to upgrade all at once. I just wondered if anyone had noticed a bottleneck........

Pete O'Neil
24-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Yeah, knew about the 4x PCI slot, however I really like the fact you can mix and match if you are struggling to upgrade all at once. I just wondered if anyone had noticed a bottleneck........
I read a benchmark comparing the board to the Gigabyte P965 board with both systems running a 7900GT and Asrock board was down about 4-5FPS i imagine with a 8800GTS the gap would widen. I really couldn't recommend this board to anyone, its would be a better idea to save for a little bit longer and do a proper update.

SolMiester
24-08-2007, 10:48 PM
I read a benchmark comparing the board to the Gigabyte P965 board with both systems running a 7900GT and Asrock board was down about 4-5FPS i imagine with a 8800GTS the gap would widen. I really couldn't recommend this board to anyone, its would be a better idea to save for a little bit longer and do a proper update.

However, 4-5fps?, how fast were the total fps?, 50, 60, 70?, where would you notice 4-5.

I was showing an upgrade pathway......not final solution.