PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Google

gary67
16-08-2007, 07:23 PM
My firefox browser updated and now when I use the integrated google search box it defaults to Australia, this is a real pain in the.... Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how i can get it back to default to New Zealand.

stu161204
16-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Welcome to PressF1 gary67 :D

Is your ISP ihug by any chance?

Shortcircuit
16-08-2007, 07:49 PM
you could try getting rid of the google you have.

Check in bookmarks and delete it.

Next go to view (top left of browser window), click then in drop down menu go toolbars, then across and down to click on customise. This will bring up a window with different browser 'buttons' etc. You can now click on and drag the google box down from the browser bar.

Next type address in www.google.co.nz hit enter key and load google nz page then save it to your bookmarks.

Go back and open the menu like you did before (follow the steps above), look for the search box, click on it and drag it back up onto the browser bar where it was before.

Close the menu and you should have google nz in your search box.

Mine defaults to the US one (that's what I wanted) after doing this, so yours should go to the NZ one.

If not, you may be with Ihug :p

Jen
16-08-2007, 08:28 PM
As Stu pointed out, this happens with Ihug.

Their IP range is shared with an ex-Aussie ISP partner, so sometimes you get allocated one from the Aussie side. Websites (and google) think you are coming from Australia so very kindly dish up the Aussie version of whatever.

You can try what Shortcircuit suggested, or wait until your IP gets renewed by Ihug (may take a while) or force it to change by turning off the modem for say 30 minutes and then reconnecting. Hopefully you will get a different IP assigned that is from the NZ range.