PDA

View Full Version : Print server setup

bones
16-08-2007, 06:39 PM
OK. The scenario. I have a broadband modem which is connected to a wireless router to enable everyone in the house internet access through their laptops. What is the easiest(and cheapest?) way to also give everyone access to two printers which are downstairs with the router/modem? Apart from trudging downstairs and plugging in, which is very cheap. At the moment the modem/router are stand alone.There was a PC connected to them but no more.

Jen
16-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Are the printers network capable?

bones
16-08-2007, 11:53 PM
No. I was thinking I may have to go for a wireless print server with usb,
but like Pooh "I'm a bear of very little brain" so posted here to see if there was any other alternative.

aidanmaz
17-08-2007, 12:23 AM
is there a pc in the room/s with the printers. you could just share them over the network

beeswax34
17-08-2007, 01:13 AM
I just share the printer connected to one main computer. I just dint want the expense of buying network capable printers and then figuring all the install stuff out. If it ain't broke...

Bantu
17-08-2007, 08:07 AM
bones I tried a linksys print server here for a while. This particular one was just for one printer. I tried an Epson R2400 and also an Epson R310 with it to see how they would go. They both worked fine, the downside was that I got less control over the printers that if they were just connected directly to the computer.

The status monitor did not work while they were hooked up via the print server.

Maybe there is a different model that does allow the status monitors to work i don't know. But printing wise no problems.

I have gone back to having the two Epsons and a laser printer just running from the main PC and shared. The other PC's and laptop can print from any provided my main PC is turned on.

bones
17-08-2007, 08:20 AM
I think I may go the same way and use a wireless print server. As long as everyone can do basic printing, it saves having to lug a laptop downstairs,plug in,print, go back upstairs etc. Was a bit concerned that some print servers say they don't work with "host based printers"? and didn't want to lash out on a print server to find out that it wouldn't work.
Thanks for all replies.