PDA

View Full Version : Just need clarification on TV tuner cards.

Fishy
15-08-2007, 08:05 PM
I've been thinking about buying a TV tuner card to record stuff onto my HDD and watch later. Except there is one thing I just cannot figure out.
Do you need to plug in a cable into them like you plug into your tv or do they pick up reception by themselves? Because none of the internal PCI cards I have seen have aerials...

Cheers.

Jen
15-08-2007, 08:12 PM
They should have an aerial thingmygig connection. What one have you been looking at?

wainuitech
15-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Mines Plugged in as follows. Saturn Decoder to WinMedia Center PC to TV.
It plays records through the PC.

Fishy
15-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Any and every. Heres some random one off pricespy for example. http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=348242

EDIT:
Oh. So do I have to plug an aerial into them? Is it possible to buy one that picks up the signals by itself so theres no need to do that?

wainuitech
15-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Any and every. Heres some random one off pricespy for example. http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpecification.aspx?ItemID=348242

EDIT:
Oh. So do I have to plug an aerial into them? Is it possible to buy one that picks up the signals by itself so theres no need to do that?

Not that I know of BUT I can't be positive about that. Maybe some one else can confirm ?

I have seen an external tuner plugged into a laptop, but even that had a Bunny ears Aerial plugged in.

Jen
15-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Mine came with a short vertical extension aerial that you could plug directly into the card's aerial socket, but unless you got very good reception you will find it a bit lacking. You could always try plugging in bunny ears if you live in a good reception area.

beeswax34
15-08-2007, 09:08 PM
Mine definitely plugs in to the socket into the wall that goes upto the aerial on the roof. I'm not sure if you could find one that is wireless.

GHOSTN
15-08-2007, 09:21 PM
whats a good tv tuner card to get? anyone have a model they could recomend i just want one that is quality and will do the job good for minimum price.. i have seen some that say digital.. does that mean sky plugs in?
cheers

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2007, 09:26 PM
I would say the digital T tuner will work with Freeview, (if u have a dish), you'll see the signal.

BUT unless you're currently paying for Sky Digital, And have a dish, its most probably scrambled.

wainuitech
15-08-2007, 09:34 PM
I would say the digital T tuner will work with Freeview, (if u have a dish), you'll see the signal.

BUT unless you're currently paying for Sky Digital, And have a dish, its most probably scrambled.

Never tried it on Sky Digital, may have to.

We got both at home, Telstra/saturn & Sky Digital. That way the Mrs can watch one TV while the rest of the family watch the other. - Saves fights ( sometimes)

Skys by the fireplace, so guess who wins the fight in Winter to keep warm - Not Me lol.:(

Murray P
15-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Wireless TV, now there's a novel idea.

Silliness aside, Fishy, the signal has to come from somewhere, even wirelessly it needs to receive the signal somehow, either via the TVs aerial or via its own.

Of course, I'm discounting those on cable, hello! now there's another thought, can you directly decode the Sky signal piped down the telephone line? illegal, really :eek:

As has been mentioned, your best signal will come from your TV aerial/TV output or a set top box such as a Sky or Saturn/Telstra decoder.

It's a blimmin good idea with the Rugby World Cup coming up very soon. Erm, anyone got a spare projector :cool:

rob_on_guitar
15-08-2007, 09:37 PM
I got one put in, but I have no idea how to use it yet. in my old PC I just had a wall socket, but my new one has all kinds. I may have to investigate tomorrow

CYaBro
15-08-2007, 11:05 PM
If you have an unused Sky dish on your roof I would recommend getting a DVB-S TV card so you can make use of Freeview.
Otherwise look at a Hauppauge PVR150 or similar.

Fishy
16-08-2007, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the help guys.

I think i'm gonna pass for two reasons. 1) My computer is nowhere near my tv aerial cable and 2) what's the point of it really if you have to plug it into an aerial? may as well invest in a DVD recorder that records onto a HDD.

Cheers.