PDA

View Full Version : uninstalling programmes

charsepp
14-08-2007, 12:13 PM
(new to forum)
Have discovered a huge programme (3,063 MB) of intervideo win DVD, which will not uninstal in the windows "uninstal programmes" Such prog. does not appear in windows explorer. Uninstaller asks for missing set-up files from original disc. Re- installing this only makes another copy (much smaller) of the programme - the "rogue" one just keeps coming up with the same frustrating message. All the anti-spyware, malware says no problems, but it surely must be a malevolent programme? Is there any surer way of uninstalling a programme?

wainuitech
14-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Welcome to F1

You can try Ccleaner Down load Here (http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/) Install it, then open and select "tools" ( left hand side) Then Uninstall Button ( top) and locate your program in the list, then select "run Uninstaller" top right.

Good Luck:thumbs:

charsepp
15-08-2007, 02:00 AM
Thanks for suggestion - have downloaded programme and will try it out tomorrow when brain is fresher

LiquidSolidity
15-08-2007, 11:18 AM
I did a search on Google and it seems to be a pretty common problem. If you still have had no luck uninstalling it try a Google search and try some of the fixes mentioned :)

charsepp
15-08-2007, 10:47 PM
It gets worse! The cccleaner programme encounters the same problem as the windows uninstaller - it needs mre files from the installation disk first. BUT, when I try to reinstal over the original programme (intervideo DVD), the installer will keep on adding a "4" to the name, and hence I just get a new installation called "intervideo DVD4" - the nuisance one will still not uninstal.
My gut feeling is that is must be a virus infected programme as it will not appear in listed programmes or windows explorer, it only shows up in the "uninstal programmes" as this huge 3.063GB file.
To "LiquidSolidity"- google search gets a bewildering number of suggestions - most of them suggest reinstalling to get the supposed missing files. The installation system will just not let me do this. Is there any sort of repair programme available? I used to have a norton one that allegedly did this, but norton at Mumbai took this off and gave me norton 360 which does not give this facility.

LiquidSolidity
15-08-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm really not sure what else you can do. That program seems to be driving a lot of people mad.
Personally I would just delete all the WinDVD files manually, then I would run Crapcleaner's error tool to find any problems and left overs.

I'm not sure if this is the safest way though.

I also think that this probably isn't a virus or spyware problem, as so many people seem to be having the same uninstall problem.

Can you find and delete all the win DVD directories manually?

Vince
16-08-2007, 02:05 AM
If you know the file size, then a search for files of that size could help. The shareware program "MoreSpace" can do that fore you if your OS can't.
You can download it here. http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,4253-order,1-page,1-c,harddisk/description.html

MoreSpace works in Windows XP and earlier OS.

charsepp
01-09-2007, 09:37 PM
May I raise my problem again, and perhaps state it more clearly.Thanks for the 3 suggestions, but regrettably none of them worked.
Only in the "control panel/uninstall programmes" does a programme show up called "intervideo Win DVD" and it is a huge size of now 3.125 GIGABYTES. It will not, under any trickery I can think of, let me uninstall it - wanting files from the original disk- but I can only get it to reinstall as another new programme.The CCcleaner Wont do it either.
The mystery is that this huge programme does not show up at all in programme files, windows explorer or search, so I cannot find out what it may consist of.
I am reluctant to go to an expert as feel they may just take the easy way out and reformat and reinstall windows with all the horror that it entails. I keep getting warnings that the 20 GB C drive is full (I have other drives), and it worries me that I cannot find out either what it really is, or cannot get rid of it.
Is there any programme that will forcibly remove it? If it is listed in the 'uninstall' part of control panel and also 'cccleaner', why does it not also appear in 'all programmes' or 'explorer'?
It is driving me crazy
Charles Seppings

Bantu
01-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Intervideo Win DVD is a Video viewing program similar to PowerDVD. It might have come with your DVD player, if so you might have the DVD/CD for it somewhere.

Check Program Files for a directory called Intervideo or WinDVD it might have a file called unwise.* there try running that it may uninstall. If it is not in Program Files then you may have deleted it at some stage instead of uninstalling it, in which case Control Panel/Uninstall's size of 3.* Gb will be incorrect.

Billy T
01-09-2007, 10:07 PM
This is the sort of situation where booting into DOS and manually deleting the whole folder or file/files would be a good start. Under DOS it won't be able to protect itself because it won't be running.

If it will let you rename the folder in Windows you could reboot and achieve the same result. No doubt the use of a Linux boot disc would also be an option.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

mmmork
02-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Try uninstalling with this (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/myuninst.html) If nothing else it allows you to see where the installation folders are, and the registry entries.

If that doesn't work, best option might just be manual deletion to get the 3gigs back & not worry about the residue. Use Ccleaner to get rid of any associated startup entries & forget about it.

If it won't let you manually delete either, try Move On Boot (http://www.gibinsoft.net/gipoutils/fileutil/index.htm)

FoxyMX
02-09-2007, 10:43 AM
You guys really aren't understanding the problem. charsepp can't see the program in Windows Explorer or anywhere else other than in Add/Remove Programs so Move On Boot et al aren't going to be helpful.

charsepp have you got viewing of hidden files and folders and protected operating system files enabled in Folder Options? Both of those options also need to be enabled in Search's Advanced options.

I would suggest getting Space Monger (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/SpaceMonger.shtml) and having a look for files of that size to see whether you can pinpoint its whereabouts.

wainuitech
02-09-2007, 11:35 AM
You guys really aren't understanding the problem. charsepp can't see the program in Windows Explorer or anywhere else other than in Add/Remove Programs so Move On Boot et al aren't going to be helpful.

charsepp have you got viewing of hidden files and folders and protected operating system files enabled in Folder Options? Both of those options also need to be enabled in Search's Advanced options.

I would suggest getting Space Monger (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/SpaceMonger.shtml) and having a look for files of that size to see whether you can pinpoint its whereabouts.

If after doing what Foxy Suggested, as well as the Space monger, AND you can not locate the folder/files heres a question -

It may at first sound like I'm be a smart a***H, but I'm NOT - I have had this happen before.

IS the Actual program listed in Add/remove ACTUALLY there on the PC ?

I'd say its Not since the folder can't be located even when hidden files etc are shown.

Often if programs are removed the entry is still showing in the ad/remove, and the reason nothing will remove the program is simply it doesn't exist any more. - Hence every removal program in the world is nackered.

If this is the case, then its roll up the sleeves and dive into the Reg to edit it out - make a restore point first before going in the reg, then look at This (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247501) page from Microsoft and locate the entry. - Follow the instructions EXACTLY.

wainuitech
02-09-2007, 12:02 PM
UPDATE to my previous post - download This (http://www.soft32.com/download_9082.html) its a free program that saves you diving into the reg. It also indicates programs in Add/remove that are actually not there, but the entry is.

Just found 3 on my PC that I thought were gone LOL:rolleyes:

Be safe though and make a restore point BEFORE removing any reg entries.