PDA

View Full Version : Internet problems

liger636
13-08-2007, 09:51 PM
im with sling**** atm on the max/128 25gig plan and my internet speeds are just really slow. My download speeds reach up to a whopping 15kb and most of time time my internet is so slow that i cant even load a youtube video and watch it at the same time without it pausing. I play on b.net alot and during the day im really laggy but at around 12 at night the lag stops. I always get pings at around 600 even if i dont lag that much and i cant host games even though i dont have a firewall on and ive forwarded the correct ports. Im kinda noob with computers, would this be a problem with my computer or the settings on my router or is slingshot just crap? plz help

EDIT: i just ran the nzdsl speed test and got the following results
Test 1
68kbps download
68kbps upload

Test 2
47kbps download
52kbps upload

stu161204
13-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Welcome to PressF1 liger636 :)

Can you tell us what sort of router do you have?

Have you tried a different router on your line?

Have you tried a different computer on your line? Like a mates computer/laptop?

How long has this been happing for? A few days, a few weeks?

Have you scanned your computer for virus, Spyware, Adware etc...?

Have you checked that you have not gone over your 25GB bandwidth cap?

Where in NZ are you?

Have you contacted slingshot about this?

pce
13-08-2007, 10:36 PM
Check your router connection speed.

Getting a 64kbps download speed either indicates your ISP is speed limiting you if you have gone over your data allowance or there is a line issue.

If your line speed is 64kbps Im very sure you will have a faulty or missing filter in your house.

Try an isolation test. Unplug all the phones and filters and reboot your router; check the connection speed in the router config screens again. If it is back up to what you'd expect then start replacing the filters and phones one by one. Find the faulty filter and chuck it!!

Good luck

Iain

panther2
13-08-2007, 11:23 PM
some time this month slingshots going to start offering interleaving off should help your lag, makes a huge difference.... had it off for a few weeks now and for once i can game and have no lag with slingshot.... same plan max/128

Bozo
14-08-2007, 01:59 AM
Check your router connection speed.

Getting a 64kbps download speed either indicates your ISP is speed limiting you if you have gone over your data allowance or there is a line issue.

If your line speed is 64kbps Im very sure you will have a faulty or missing filter in your house.

Try an isolation test. Unplug all the phones and filters and reboot your router; check the connection speed in the router config screens again. If it is back up to what you'd expect then start replacing the filters and phones one by one. Find the faulty filter and chuck it!!

Good luck

Iain
Not the problem.

Welcome to using broadband in NZ at the moment. Am also currently having similar problems. It is due to high traffic at your local exchange, and Slingshot throttling your line - either due to going over the data cap or just cos they are arse holes.

liger636
14-08-2007, 04:42 PM
Welcome to PressF1 liger636 :)

Can you tell us what sort of router do you have?
DSE XH1169

Have you tried a different router on your line?
nope

Have you tried a different computer on your line? Like a mates computer/laptop?
We have 3 computers connected, soon to be 2 and their speeds are pretty much the same as mine so i dont think its my computers problem.

How long has this been happing for? A few days, a few weeks?
Well before i was on the 256/128 plan with slingshot ages ago and the speeds were really good then i changed to the 2mb/128 plan and my net went alot slower, then to this plan. So id say around a few weeks ive been having really bad internet, but before that it was just bad.

Have you scanned your computer for virus, Spyware, Adware etc...?
ive used the avg free edition antivirus and antispyware and adaware. thats it

Have you checked that you have not gone over your 25GB bandwidth cap?
yea, i check quite frequently, i dont go over the cap much.

Where in NZ are you?
auckland, new lynn

Have you contacted slingshot about this?
no i havent

:waughh:

limepile
14-08-2007, 06:49 PM
Now you just try to contact Slingshot for help...got a spare hour or two?
On the "My Account" page, under the "More services" (oxymoron there methinks) the blank button is a link to the forum, where you can join thousands of others trying to catch someones attention.
I got rather heated on there on more than one occasion, and I can't say that that was what did it, but one day i woke to a doubling in speed!! On an average day at peak times I can get up to 20-30 kps!!After 10pm it'll go at a heart thumping 60-80kps!! Thats what you get living 750 mtrs from an exchange.
And I know all the arguments about throttling, but its us high users who are paying for the network, not some old granny in Timaru checking her mail. In fact they should reverse the bussiness model and reward us heavy users and ask the light ones to step it up a bit, if you don't, use it- you loose it!! Hell its us guys that are paying to have the exchanges insalled..
Don't get me started !!

pce
14-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Not the problem??

So what is the physical line connection speed?

pce
14-08-2007, 06:59 PM
So what does your Dick Smith router say the line speed is??

Id suggest your replace your DSL router in any case. Get one the same as your ISP so they can support you when you call for support.

liger636
14-08-2007, 09:03 PM
So what does your Dick Smith router say the line speed is??

Id suggest your replace your DSL router in any case. Get one the same as your ISP so they can support you when you call for support.

is that the max downstream and upstream rate? if so the downstream is 8mbps and downstream is 1mbps