PDA

View Full Version : Limewire blues

bones
12-08-2007, 09:17 PM
A friend of mine(honestly) has bought the Pro version of Limewire, but when he starts it the connection bars only light up the first bar and it doesn't actually seem to connect. In Zonealarm everything seems to check out alright altho the icon itself seems to be a bit greyed out. I loaded the free version on my machine and everything works fine. Could this have something to do with port forwarding maybe?
If anyone can help I would appreciate it as I can't take his pleading texts much longer. He is running XP Home and has a broadband connection thru Slingshot, the router is a Dynalink KTA1320.:badpc:

Myth
13-08-2007, 06:22 AM
Sounds like a port forwarding issue. Has he made sure the port required to listen is open?
Did he have limewire free before? Did it work?

bones
13-08-2007, 07:09 AM
No, I don't think it ever worked. Don't know why he paid for the Pro version. I too think it is port forwarding at issue but not clued up enough about how to resolve it. Did notice it uses port 18803 and tried to get Zonealarm to allow it but couldn't find how to do it, but it may be a router issue anyway?Thanks.

bones
13-08-2007, 07:23 AM
Sorry, I'm doing him a disservice. It used to work until he changed to Slingshot and got a new router. How do you do the port forwarding thing?

Driftwood
13-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Java is required to run Limewire.

Bozo
13-08-2007, 10:44 AM

No sh**! but if java wasn't installed, i think you would have other problems like 'It won't work' not just 'i can't connect'

Here (http://forums.torrentspy.com/showthread.php?t=30142) is a really good explanation on how to port forward with ZA

MAC_H8ER
13-08-2007, 12:15 PM

yes java is required for lime wire to run properly -but if java was not on the system it would either download the correct software or just plain refuse to go at all - from what i hear he has the program open - it just wont connect

bones
13-08-2007, 08:59 PM
OK. Problem resolved. From the explanation I got, it was a port forwarding setting on the router that was causing the problem. He now has a turbo connection and I have no pleading text messages. Thanks to all for your time and help. :D

acdchill
14-08-2007, 07:51 PM
limewire not so good get it out of your system right away.

I mean if your friend is wanting to user P2P clients he/she should look into progams like torrents in my view the best P@P client on the net to date note portfowarding is required to get the ultimate download speeds. forget the likes of limewire

ares blubster

morpheus kaaza if its still around

just to name a few I'd say the only p2p client that I would use besides torrents would be (soulseek) for music. I have been using this program for awhile now for those hard to get songs it never fails me

maybe frostwire could be worth investigating

cya

intel hunter
14-08-2007, 08:20 PM
ares blubster

morpheus kaaza

Don't use those. Frostwire is a clone of Limewire but free and it works ok.

Codex
14-08-2007, 08:31 PM
why pay for it when you can download the source of the limewire website and recompile it for free as the pro version...lol

acdchill
14-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Don't use those. Frostwire is a clone of Limewire but free and it works ok.

yes frostwire is a clone of limewire made from some of the same developers the difference with frostwire is that the don't filter content from the gnutella network what limewire does is that they filter content from the ghutella network using dma/drm or something like that... thats the difference between the two...

anyways limwire sucks it should have died off like kazaa and morphues
like I said in my previous post torrents are the new fad now