PDA

View Full Version : Musician needs pc - sound card, speakers?

Morpheus1
12-08-2007, 08:34 AM
I am helping a friend get a desktop PC. Is it best to stay away from 'all in one motherboards' so that a sound card can be added? He mainly wants the pc for recording / editing music that he creates - he is a musician, guitar and songs. Am I correct in saying that a sound card is only for playback and not recording?

Probably we will stay with whatever onboard or sound card the pc comes with and add something better later if he wants.

Can anyone recommend a good set of speakers? I don't know if it is possible to connect the pc to his sound system or even if that is a good idea. It seems better to have a stand alone set of speakers. Any comments on this? http://www.qmb.co.nz/p.aspx?104729

Or any on this page? There would be no need for surround sound although it seems any good speaker system is 5.1.
http://www.qmb.co.nz/c.aspx?c=Hardware&s=Speaker

As for the pc itself, he can spend up to $1500 or so but this http://www.qmb.co.nz/pk.aspx?118&c=Package system is only $910 and probably would be OK - but will go for a larger HD and hopefully we can still get WinXP instead of Vista. Any other ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

pctek
12-08-2007, 08:49 AM
The best 2.1 speaker system is the Logitech Z-2300.
The Z-4 isn't as good.

The components in the PC look good to me.

Can't advise you on the best sound crad for recording, not my area.

winmacguy
12-08-2007, 08:50 AM
For a musician who wants to easily create music in his or her home studio I would also suggest looking on trade me for a second hand iMac with Garageband.
I am assuming that the person in question is not interested in gaming.
http://www.apple.com/nz/ilife/garageband/
If your friend can't find a suitable iMac on trademe then just go with a PC.

rob_on_guitar
12-08-2007, 09:05 AM
The best 2.1 speaker system is the Logitech Z-2300.
The Z-4 isn't as good.

The components in the PC look good to me.

Can't advise you on the best sound crad for recording, not my area.

Yeah Ive been using logitech lately, found them more tolerant of music from a mixing desk then say JBL. Which is pretty weird since JBLs are normally made for this type.

I would say he is better off spending 1500 on a portastudio, tascams are awesome, easy to use and digital. Then hook that up to a pc, then you dont have to adjust the PC in anyway. Also as the title implies you can record anywhere then hook it up to a pc.

I have found this the best way after experimenting last year. From the desk he can do a simple line out to line in in the PC. There are tons of free software on the net for conversion into mp3 format if he wishes plus the portastudio will do this too.:thumbs:

Morpheus1
12-08-2007, 09:35 AM
I would say he is better off spending 1500 on a portastudio, tascams are awesome,

I have no idea what portastudio and tascams are but should explain further that the software he will use is Cool Edit Pro - he must use this as his musician brother is an expert using it, I can guide him through the basics and he will ring his brother for the details of mixing tracks, etc.

poctek - thanks for the Logitech Z-2300 advice.

A Mac? :yuck: Oh for %$#@X sake, give us a break. :lol: :lol: Like sure, I'll get him to spend heaps more $$, and get new editing software that none of know how to use. :rolleyes: Read the title of my post: it says "pc". Push your macs on another thread please, not here.

Morpheus1
12-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Rob, re: mp3s, I should have explained that he will use the pc for making his own CDs, of his own original music. He does not have a mp3 player and probably does not even know what its all about.

winmacguy
12-08-2007, 09:41 AM
poctek - thanks for the Logitech Z-2300 advice.

A Mac? :yuck: Oh for %$#@X sake, give us a break. :lol: :lol:

Maybe you should check out Garageband before you knock it Morpheus:groan:
It is software designed by musicians for musicians, and I was offering it as a suggestion.

Morpheus1
12-08-2007, 09:42 AM
macguy: I see we cross posted. See my edited post above.

winmacguy
12-08-2007, 09:46 AM
macguy: I see we cross posted. See my edited post above.

I wasn't "pushing" it as you say, I was suggesting picking one up within the $1500 range from Trademe due to the fact that the areas that Macs are suited to are creative design, creating music and editing DV and your friend is a musician :)
I call it horses for courses, if you want a top gaming machine build yourself a PC, if you want to make music consider using Garageband on a Mac. Or get a PC if you prefer to use one.

Morpheus1
12-08-2007, 09:58 AM
Or get a PC if you prefer to use one.

:thumbs: thank you :)

rob_on_guitar
12-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Rob, re: mp3s, I should have explained that he will use the pc for making his own CDs, of his own original music. He does not have a mp3 player and probably does not even know what its all about.

http://www.tascam.co.nz/

Tascam portastudio is like a console that you can plug you guitar/drums/bass etc record direct to the desk and burn to cd straight away, has mixer so you can adjust whatever you record to how you like it. I have one and is the best purchase i have ever made from a muso point of view, you dont even need a pc.

24 Feb 2005
NEW DP-01FX/CD Portastudio

Tascam DP-01FX 8-Track Portastudio- Built in 40GB hard drive, Instant Digital recording with built in CDR/RW CD burner to instantly record and copy your music.

DP-01FX/CD Portastudio SRP $1399.00

winmacguy
12-08-2007, 10:18 AM
:thumbs: thank you :)

Welcome :)

Morpheus1
12-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks Rob.

Can anyone tell me about an ALL IN ONE MOTHERBOARD - does this mean that a sound card or a video card cannot be added?

rob_on_guitar
12-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Pretty much, most cases will be stock standard cards which havent got much grunt.

The_End_Of_Reality
12-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Thanks Rob.

Can anyone tell me about an ALL IN ONE MOTHERBOARD - does this mean that a sound card or a video card cannot be added? An all in one mobo will be fine, just add a PCI sound card...

My DFI NF4 SLI-DR mobo comes with the NF4 audio codec and I have just added a Creative Audigy SE (not the best but Meh) and it works...

You can add anything if you have the expansion slot for it... like onboard GFX, you can use a GFX card rather than the onboard if you add it in...

Sweep
12-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Thanks Rob.

Can anyone tell me about an ALL IN ONE MOTHERBOARD - does this mean that a sound card or a video card cannot be added?

All in one motherboard means it comes with "on board" sound and video. Whether this works for your friend, as is, I have no idea. The video will also use a certain amount of RAM depending on how set up in the BIOS. This is why some people will say,"I have 256 Megs RAM but software only shows a figure that is less."

The motherboard may, or may not, accept another video card except PCI or even AGP. Is PCI-e an option?

You can almost certainly insert a Creative X-fi PCI sound card in the box assuming you have enough unused slots.
This has enough input and output for most.

SolMiester
12-08-2007, 05:58 PM
The Z2300 are not that flash, no midtone definition allegedly.

Here is a review by our own pcworld mag...http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,124820-page,2/article.html

Morpheus1
12-08-2007, 10:28 PM
The Z2300 are not that flash, no midtone definition allegedly.

Here is a review by our own pcworld mag...http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,124820-page,2/article.html

Thanks for that. Anyone have a better suggestion, for less than $200 ?

[edit] the link you gave is not for the Z2300, but I found a review on CNET that gives a high rating: e.g. "the audio's superb power and accuracy. Simply put, they sound magnificent. ... The bottom line: If you're looking for a set of 2.1 speakers, buy these. It's as simple as that.
http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/logitech-z-2300/4505-3179_7-30993080.html
But then I see some of the user opinions, about poor midtones, etc. so back to searching...