PDA

View Full Version : New video card

bugalugs67
11-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Got to replace my 15" LCD (fried) and going to go for a 22". I'm running a gforce4 card and think to get the best from a 22" screen I should update.

Trouble is there are so many cards with so many descriptions that I have no idea what to go for. From what I can gather the gforce4 is 1280X1024 while the 22" is 1680X1050. So to futureproof I need to get at least that size. I have a separate TV card so I think I need TV out

But what the heck are all the other stuff that is added to the descriptions. What's PCI? what's turbo? whats Express? Do I need it ??

Not into gaming, only want photos, TV, and standard Home computing.

Can someone point me at something that will do the job.

JSF_enthusiast
11-08-2007, 10:57 PM
You need to find out if your motherboard supports AGP or PCI-E, from the sound of it you operate a computer with a AGP slot as you operate a GeForce 4 which is AGP only.

Assuming it is AGP your options are kinda limited. What we really need to consider though is whether or not your computer is up to running a good graphics card. From what I know GeForce 6600 should be fine for you, make sure its an AGP though! Really though your running a huge screen with a really high resolution that most computers today would have issues supporting.

manvsmachine
11-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Read this which should show you everythink about the other things
http://www.itreviews.co.uk/guide/hguide6.htm

bugalugs67
12-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks for that. Yes it is a 5 year old machine so it looks like I'm into APG. Manual says APG 4X,PCI

Thanks for that link also. It was "prezactly" what I was looking for. Explained the terminology and let me understand what I need to make sure I get, what to avoid, and what I don't need.

Thanks fellas