PDA

View Full Version : Building my own PC (compatible parts?!)

aonghas
11-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Hey guys,
This is my first post and I was wondering if you guys could tell me if this computer setup I'm thinking of setting up would be adequate and if all the components would be compatible?

Motherboard: Asus P5K-E/Wifi P35
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2.4GHz
Graphics: Palit Geforce 8800 GTS, 320MB, PCI Express
RAM: Generic 2x 2GB Dual Kit DDR2-667 Dual Channel SDRAM (total 4GB)

They appear to go together from what I've read but I just want to be reassured that they will in fact be compatible before I realise that I've wasted money.

Also, what do you think of this configuration?

Cheers,
aonghas

qazwsxokmijn
11-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Nice, and nice. All components there should be compatible with each other.

Make sure you have a good decent-branded power supply! At least a 500W, from a reputable brand like Acbel or Silverstone.

You may want to ditch the generic RAMs though. Crap, unpopular brand electronics are usually....just crap. With a system like that, you might as well grab some OCZ/GSkill/Crucial DDR2 1066 RAMs for a tad higher. But it will be worth it.

pctek
11-08-2007, 06:01 PM
They match. I'd change the Palit to either Gigabyte or ASUS though.

aonghas
11-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies. Yeah, PSU, I was just going to ask about that actually. You reckon at least 500W? I think I have a 420W at the moment...
I want to have maybe 3-5HDDs running internally (with DVD writer as well) so would a 550W PSU suffice? Oh and just a quick question about power supplies, say I get a 600W power supply to run the bare minimum (like 1 hard drive, old CPU etc) does the PSU only use what it needs to or will I be wasting more power for nothing?

pctek, Yeah I would get a Gigabyte or Asus card but they cost quite a bit more, that's why I'm trying to build a decent system but trying to save money where I can. Is there a significant difference between the brands?

Cheers,
aonghas

qazwsxokmijn
11-08-2007, 06:21 PM
As for different brands in video cards, I think (don't quote me on this) the GPUs all come from their original manufacturers (nVidia, ATi) and partners like Gigabyte, Palit, etc only makes the PCBs and stickers.

A 600W PSU should be enough, but it heavily depends on the 12V rail. Many generic crappy 600W PSUs have very poor 12V rail rating of around 20-22A. Not only that, many generic PSUs are poor in quality and may not deliver as much as they say it will.

Go for good, reputable PSU brands like ThermalTake (ToughPower series only though!), Raidmax, OCZ, Silverstone, Acbel, Enermax.

The_End_Of_Reality
11-08-2007, 06:31 PM
qazwsxokmijn is right with the GPUs, though some do have factory overclocked models and some have different heatsinks, the main differences is warranty, software that it comes with, design and factory overclocked/none.

As for the PSU, it will only draw what it needs, a 600W PSU will draw the same as a 500W PSU with all the same internals (assuming both PSUs have the same efficiency.

Personally I prefer Enermax PSUs.

aonghas
11-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Okay cool. What about Kingston RAM? I'm trying to save as much money as possible.

I'm thinking about getting this (http://www.playtech.co.nz/product.php?action=showdetail&id=2980) PSU as well. Is that something that could handle my requirements adequately?

Cheers,
aonghas

The_End_Of_Reality
11-08-2007, 07:29 PM
I personally would not get the PSU, it will be able to power your spec easily... but I don't like the fact that all the current is on 1 12V rail...

This will be better IMO Enermax Infiniti 650W (http://www.enermax.com/english/product_Display1.asp?PrID=74) Enermax Infinity 650W at Ascent (http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=353688) it is more expensive though...

aonghas
11-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Oh ok. Well I may as well get this Enermax 720W PSU (http://c1com.co.nz/shop/step1.php?number=11406) if I'm going to spend that much...?

What does it mean by modular/non-modular PSU?

And in the specifications it says 9xperipherals, does peripherals mean the regular 4-pin molex connectors for DVD-RWs etc?

Cheers
aonghas

The_End_Of_Reality
11-08-2007, 08:02 PM
The place I linked to (Ascent) is a reputable place with great service and after sales support, which is why the price is higher than others like C1 wich I will never buy from due to crap after sales support...

Modular is basically the ability to dis/connect power cables that you are not using so there are less cables in the case.

I am not sure, it may mean that and it may include the SATA power connectors and others...

aonghas
11-08-2007, 08:57 PM
Ok guys I think I've come up with a revised system, tell me what you think

Motherboard: Asus P5K-E/Wifi P35 (confirmed)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2.4GHz (confirmed)
RAM: 2x 2x1GB Crucial BALLISTIX DDR2 2GB PC2-6400 (total 4GB)
PSU: Enermax Infiniti 650W (or 720W)

I made this from your recommendations. Let me know if this now seems like a better configuration.

Cheers
aonghas

The_End_Of_Reality
11-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Cool, should all work together really well.

Are you going to change the brand of the GTS at all?

What case are you getting? and what OS will you run?

qazwsxokmijn
11-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Ok guys I think I've come up with a revised system, tell me what you think

Motherboard: Asus P5K-E/Wifi P35 (confirmed)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2.4GHz (confirmed)
RAM: 2x 2x1GB Crucial BALLISTIX DDR2 2GB PC2-6400 (total 4GB)
PSU: Enermax Infiniti 650W (or 720W)

I made this from your recommendations. Let me know if this now seems like a better configuration.

Cheers
aonghas
Looks terrific to me. Now all you gotta do is get them, and send them to me. ;)

I'd recommend the 720W, as it looks like you'll be spending only $10 extra. It's worth it, as it lets you to future-proof your system a bit.

Crucial Ballistix are excellent RAMs. You won't be disappointed.

The_End_Of_Reality
11-08-2007, 09:29 PM
I'd recommend the 720W, as it looks like you'll be spending only $10 extra. It's worth it, as it lets you to future-proof your system a bit. You do realise that is from different retailers? the one that is more expensive (in relation) (Ascent) have amazing customer service and after sales support... Well worth it IMO

aonghas
11-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Cool, should all work together really well.

Are you going to change the brand of the GTS at all?

What case are you getting? and what OS will you run?

If I were to change the brand of the GTS it would be about $50 more for an Asus and then another $15 more for the Gigabyte version. I am a bit reluctant to upgrade this seeing as I have already spent more on RAM and the PSU. Do you think it is worth it for the extra $$? Or alternatively is it a better trade off to spend the money on the Crucial RAM and upgrade to 720W Enermax, and just keep the Palit GTS?

I'm not sure about the case yet, I just have some iCute one at the moment (it was given to me) but it doesn't bother me all that much.

Haha, OS... umm well I'm still on XP but my bro is on Vista. I might change to Vista since my new system should handle it well...right?

JSF_enthusiast
11-08-2007, 09:47 PM
You thinking of getting one of those 'physics' cards?

qazwsxokmijn
11-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Never mind the physics card. I personally don't think it's worth it and besides, I think Aonghas has overstepped his budget by quite a bit.

Alternatively, Aonghas, if I were you I'd keep the Crucial RAM and downgrade to the 650W PSU, and go for an Asus 8800GTS. It may not make much of a difference - between Palit and Asus, but I believe Asus has longer warranty periods and is a larger company than Palit - for a peace of mind.

JSF_enthusiast
11-08-2007, 10:03 PM
The amount of money that takes you to the top tier of graphics cards isn't really worth it, i think your better getting a middle of the range one now and then waiting two series of cards (like going from the current 8 series from nvidia to the '10' series if their ever such thing) and upgrading to a new card from the middle of that range.

qazwsxokmijn
11-08-2007, 10:08 PM
And when the 10 series are out, the 11 series will be out in 3/4 of a year, and the 12 series follows the 11 series in half a year....

That's how nVidia and ATi works, really.....

Myth
11-08-2007, 10:27 PM
The latest PC Authority (what, you think I was joking Chris?) did a test on 3 PSU's, of which Enermax was the best as far as reliability, and noise (was the quietest). The other 2 were FSP Blue Storm, and Thermaltake ToughPower (neither of which passed the reliability test on the 5V rail test). The only thing the Enermax did fail on was pricing, it was more expensive (but then again, they were testing the 500W Blue Storm with the 700W Thermaltake, vs the 1000W Enermax; so pricing wasn't expected to be close).

Modular PSU's mean PSU's where the cables can be unplugged from the main unit, so if you only need the main supply to the motherboard, plus supply to a few hard/optical drives, you can unplug the rest of the cables.

The_End_Of_Reality
11-08-2007, 10:30 PM
If I were to change the brand of the GTS it would be about $50 more for an Asus and then another $15 more for the Gigabyte version. I am a bit reluctant to upgrade this seeing as I have already spent more on RAM and the PSU. Do you think it is worth it for the extra $$? Or alternatively is it a better trade off to spend the money on the Crucial RAM and upgrade to 720W Enermax, and just keep the Palit GTS?

I'm not sure about the case yet, I just have some iCute one at the moment (it was given to me) but it doesn't bother me all that much.

Haha, OS... umm well I'm still on XP but my bro is on Vista. I might change to Vista since my new system should handle it well...right? TBH I would go for ASUS just because of the warrenty... but it is up to you... there is no real need for the 720W PSU... my system quite happily runs on 535W...

OK and what bit version of XP or Vista are you going to use? (23 bit or 64 bit) and you do realise that DX10 is Vista only? I assume with an 8800GTS you are going to be gaming? Yes, it will run Vista fine... I know of a lot less that run it fine...

JSF_enthusiast - I went top of the line in Jan last year (7800GTX) and that is having trouble playing games like Colin Mcrae DiRT at decent settings that was only a year and a half old when it got replaced... now you imagine a mid range card... for a true gamer decent settings and good FPS is a must...

BTW you can ask if the place can do a cheaper price :p

bevy121
11-08-2007, 10:59 PM
the 23 bit one sounds interesting :)

aonghas
11-08-2007, 11:12 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks once again for your contributions (I really didn't expect to get that many replies...wow) but anyway, my main purpose for this upgrade is to help me with video editing (Adobe Premiere/After FX) and possibly some 3D apps. I just assumed that a good gaming card would mean a good card for video editing (correct me if I'm wrong though).

If anyone knows anything about video editing and stuff, would this computer be okay? And the reason I wanted to get the 720W PSU is that if I ever needed to have more HDDs I would want my PSU to support it, without having to go out and buy another one.

Embarrassingly enough, my current computer is only P4 2.4ghz, 1GB Generic DDR333 RAM, ATI X800, some factory brand 400W PSU. So I'm hoping that I will see a significant change with this new PC.

Cheers,
aonghas

The_End_Of_Reality
11-08-2007, 11:13 PM
the 23 bit one sounds interesting :) ... 32 bit... :rolleyes:

qazwsxokmijn
11-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Your new PC would be a beast. Beats the hell out of mine any day, any time. I think it will do heavy video editing just fine. I just don't know whether a workstation graphics card would do a better job, but a 8800GTS is more than powerful to do so.

Embarrassingly enough, my current computer is only P4 2.4ghz, 1GB Generic DDR333 RAM, ATI X800, some factory brand 400W PSU. So I'm hoping that I will see a significant change with this new PC.
You'll notice a heck lot of difference.

aonghas
11-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Hmm I'm tossing over whether I should buy the Crucial Ballistix (http://c1com.co.nz/shop/step1.php?number=6695) RAM. I don't know if $257.95 for 2x1GB is worth it. I know that a lot of people say that the cheap RAM is bad, but will 4GB of generic RAM be significantly different to 4GB of this crucial ram? Enough to notice? Because I could save nearly $300 by getting the cheapest stuff I can find. Or is there another option that would be better/middle ground?

Cheers,
aonghas

qazwsxokmijn
11-08-2007, 11:51 PM
Well, if you're spending over $300 just for the cheapest, then maybe not.

Try going for mid-priced Kingston.

aonghas
12-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Sweet as. I think I'll just go for some mid-range stuff. I think I got a bit over my head before, and didn't realise how far up the scale I was going.

My motherboard is the Asus P5K-E/Wifi and it says that it's dual channel architecture. Does that mean that I have to stick dual channel RAM chips in the motherboard? Like two 2x1GB dual channel RAM chips (total 4GB)? Or is it okay to just stick 2 2GB single channel RAM slots in, so I have 2 slots spare for the future if I ever wanted to add more RAM? Would it support this?

Cheers,
aonghas

qazwsxokmijn
12-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Sure will.

aonghas
12-08-2007, 12:26 AM
Cool. Kingston HyperX Ram I think I'll go with.

Greg
12-08-2007, 01:31 AM
Stop stroking [your ego] and just buy it - you've had more than enough opinions.

aonghas
13-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Hey just a quick question: Palit vs INNO3D for Graphics card?

wratterus
13-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Hey just a quick question: Palit vs INNO3D for Graphics card?

Without reading any of the thread, neither. Asus or Gigabyte.

[Edit]After reading through the thread I see that has already been mentioned by pctek.

aonghas
13-08-2007, 03:41 PM
hmm yeah I know... but I'm pushed for money as I have already gone over budget. Is either Palit or INNO3d better than the other, or are they both definitely just a NO-GO?

wratterus
13-08-2007, 03:42 PM
For me if it was between those two I'd go Palit, but neither are really that good. I'd splash out, rake some leaves for a few weekends or something. You'll thank yourself later. :p

aonghas
13-08-2007, 03:45 PM
OK then. Thanks for your suggestion. What is the difference anyway, apart from the make?

wratterus
13-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Sometimes the speed of the cards is a bit slower with the cheaper brands, but pretty much it's the quality of the components used to build the cards.

aonghas
13-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Oh ok. Maybe I'll just spend the extra $50 then...

wratterus
13-08-2007, 03:49 PM
:thumbs:

The_End_Of_Reality
13-08-2007, 03:50 PM
Oh ok. Maybe I'll just spend the extra $50 then... A very wise word :D :thumbs:

SolMiester
13-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Palit is Gainward!, a very good card manufacturer, I have had 2 so far, rather the Palit than the Inno3d.
As for the RAM, you dont need anything higher than DDR2 667, which will reach DDR2800 speeds. You have a Q6600, 266*9=2.4Ghz. If you manage to overclock the Quad to 3Ghz say, 9*333=2997, so the RAM is already 1:1.

plod
13-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Oh ok. Maybe I'll just spend the extra $50 then...

without reading the whole thread, I wouldn't be skimping on one component if you have purchased quality everywhere else

Bozo
13-08-2007, 05:46 PM
Hmm I'm tossing over whether I should buy the Crucial Ballistix (http://c1com.co.nz/shop/step1.php?number=6695) RAM. I don't know if $257.95 for 2x1GB is worth it. I know that a lot of people say that the cheap RAM is bad, but will 4GB of generic RAM be significantly different to 4GB of this crucial ram? Enough to notice? Because I could save nearly $300 by getting the cheapest stuff I can find. Or is there another option that would be better/middle ground?

Cheers,
aonghas
Are you getting this RAM?
I definatly recommend that you get this as opposed to the stuff you mentioned earlier.
You have a mint system otherwise, but your orginal RAM was pretty crap.

Murray P
13-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Did I miss it? What OS are you intending to use, 64bit with that amount of RAM I hope.

I disagree slightly on the RAM. Unless you are intending to overclock, there is no point spending up large on the good stuff. Get good quality, but not cheery picked and tested, RAM and it will do you just as well. Spend the money saved on the gfx card.

Personally I'd go for Asus, but I see there are some good deals on some of the XFX 8800 cards at the mo (I almost went for a XXX variant myself).

A question for the power buffs. I thought I read somewhere that the multi rail PSUs are on the way out amongst the quality models. IIRC, something about quality components and decent monitoring providing a better overall spec and efficiency with a single rail. True?

aonghas
13-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Hey nah I decided to go with Kingston HyperX RAM. It's not generic but not over the top expensive either. Is that an okay decision?

Okay guys
I have my CPU and motherboard. Now I'm trying to install the CPU heatsink fan and I am panicking like crazy! Is it supposed to be so gosh damn hard to push those plug things into position? I tried pushing quite hard until my motherboard starting bending and I stopped because I didn't want to break the motherboard!

Also there is some grey rubbery stuff on the bottom of the heatsink fan, am I supposed to leave this on?

Cheers,
aonghas

SolMiester
13-08-2007, 08:38 PM
As I said before, dont get expensive RAM unless you are clocking the processor. DDR2667, is plenty fast enough!!!

Murray P
13-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Hey nah I decided to go with Kingston HyperX RAM. It's not generic but not over the top expensive either. Is that an okay decision?

Okay guys
I have my CPU and motherboard. Now I'm trying to install the CPU heatsink fan and I am panicking like crazy! Is it supposed to be so gosh damn hard to push those plug things into position? I tried pushing quite hard until my motherboard starting bending and I stopped because I didn't want to break the motherboard!

Also there is some grey rubbery stuff on the bottom of the heatsink fan, am I supposed to leave this on?

Cheers,
aonghas

Hell yes. That's thermal goo, as apposed to good quality thermal paste, but it's still absolutely vital to the healthy running of your CPU. Like the alternative is a dead CPU.

aonghas
13-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Woops! I wiped it off my last heatsink. Lucky I didn't do it this time.

Is this http://www.einfo.co.nz/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2659 better than the Enermax Inifiniti 720W?

qazwsxokmijn
13-08-2007, 09:38 PM
I personally like Enermax better than CoolerMaster, but CM is still of high quality.

As for the Intel heatsink, many need a bit of force to push the pin through. Push one pin in until it clicks, then push the one diagonal to it, and do that for the next two. In the end, the heatsink shouldn't wobble at all. If it does, then one or more pins are not pushed in fully.

aonghas
13-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Hey sweet as guys I think I got it in correctly. But I'm worried that it'll pop out sometime soon. Now just waiting on all the other stuff.

aonghas
13-08-2007, 11:32 PM
Ok last on the list is the monitor...

This opens up a whole new can of beans. I'm thinking 19" widescreen but I have no idea which make and how to decide if it's good or not. I saw a Samsung one, I think the 931BW, but yeah. Let me know what you think.

This should be the last question for this topic (I hope!)

cheers
aonghas

Bozo
14-08-2007, 12:45 AM
As I said before, dont get expensive RAM unless you are clocking the processor. DDR2 667, is plenty fast enough!!!
I disagree.
What is the FSB of your motherboard? Where is everything being stored while you are running it? In the RAM.
Why have a speedy FSB, CPU etc and then go and stick RAM in that is slower than the rest of your system frequency? slows the whole system down.
If you have a FSB of 800, then to make full use of it, you will need 800mhz RAM. Putting 667 in is ok, but will 'cripple' the system.

qazwsxokmijn
14-08-2007, 07:21 AM
I disagree.
What is the FSB of your motherboard? Where is everything being stored while you are running it? In the RAM.
Why have a speedy FSB, CPU etc and then go and stick RAM in that is slower than the rest of your system frequency? slows the whole system down.
If you have a FSB of 800, then to make full use of it, you will need 800mhz RAM. Putting 667 in is ok, but will 'cripple' the system.
I believe the new C2Ds with 1333MHz FSB are best when coupled with 667MHz RAMs. 667MHz RAMs run at the same speed is the CPU's FSB, much like the case with older C2Ds coupled with 533MHz RAMs.

The_End_Of_Reality
14-08-2007, 08:48 AM
I believe the new C2Ds with 1333MHz FSB are best when coupled with 667MHz RAMs. 667MHz RAMs run at the same speed is the CPU's FSB, much like the case with older C2Ds coupled with 533MHz RAMs. That is with the dual core C2Ds, the quads like RAM the same speed as the FSB, like the 1066 Quads like 1066MHz RAM

IMHO the Enermax would be better than the CM... There is no need for a PSU W rating that high with your system...

SolMiester
14-08-2007, 11:49 AM
I disagree.

Duh, dude, the bus on the cpu is 266*9=2.4Ghz which is the speed of the quad!.DDR2667/2=333, therefore the RAM is already faster than the bus and will an overclock up to 3Ghz at 1:1 ratio without a sweat.....what r u talking about!

Metla
14-08-2007, 12:18 PM
Are we still allowed to post in this thread?

I can't tell if the specific query has been answered yet.......

Help me out here Jan.

Murray P
14-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Are we still allowed to post in this thread?

I can't tell if the specific query has been answered yet.......

Help me out here Jan.

Nope. But, and you heard it here first, I feel there's a very good chance of a post build help thread, so keep an eye out for that.

However, it's your lucky day, there's a very good thread over here, that requires intelligent input (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?p=582134#post582134). I could even arrange that some additional queries be added, say, what makes Macs and Vista so right for the masses and why is Nortons and McAfee top of the pops in Scandinavia and the Baltic states right now.

winmacguy
14-08-2007, 01:23 PM
I don't know Murray, why are Nortons and McAfee top of the pops in Scandinavia right now?

Murray P
14-08-2007, 01:25 PM
I have no idea, I'd not have asked.....

meg_h_nz
14-08-2007, 06:21 PM
Ok last on the list is the monitor...

This opens up a whole new can of beans. I'm thinking 19" widescreen but I have no idea which make and how to decide if it's good or not. I saw a Samsung one, I think the 931BW, but yeah. Let me know what you think.

This should be the last question for this topic (I hope!)

cheers
aonghas

I recently bought an ASUS VW192T 19 widescreen and I love it. I upgraded from a 17 inch LCD. My only issuse is I wish I had gone bigger (like a 21 inch, but I had to keep within budget) as it took a while for me to get used to the shorter screen.
All the best with your new machine

Meg

aonghas
14-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Hey guys,
I bought my Enermax Infiniti PSU and it has a pluge for the graphics card as well as a small 3-pin plug that I'm assuming goes into one of the CHA_FAN1,2,3,4 slots or the PWR_FAN slot? Does anyone know which one this goes into?

Cheers
aonghas

Murray P
14-08-2007, 11:33 PM
PRW fan.

Best RTFMs.

aonghas
14-08-2007, 11:38 PM
There is no manual for the PSU... just an advertisement booklet of all their products.

Murray P
15-08-2007, 01:09 AM
Motherboard manual?

Go to the PSU manufacturers site, there's bound to be a downloadable PDF manual.

aonghas
18-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Hi everyone,
I am pleased to tell you that I finished building my system thanks to the help of all you guys!

My Vista Experience score is
CPU 5.9
RAM 5.6
Graphics 5.9
Gaming Graphics 5.9
Primary hard disk 5.6

Does anyone know what is required for 5.9 scores in hard drive and RAM? I only have 32bit vista, so my 4GB RAM only shows up as 3GB because of the 32bit restriction. My hard drive is WD SATAII 320GB 16MB cache.

If I was to upgrade to the 64bit version of vista do you think that would help my RAM scores? Would setting up a RAID0 configuration help the hard drive?

Cheers
aonghas

SolMiester
18-08-2007, 09:33 PM
I think 6 is the highest score in Vista!