PDA

View Full Version : Vista Not the O/S for now

manvsmachine
10-08-2007, 10:11 PM
I dont see the point of people using vista right now because not very many programs work with it right now so its better off sticking with XP for now until roughly 6 months to a year.

Speedy Gonzales
10-08-2007, 10:13 PM
I think 1/2 - 3/4 of the world knows this already

manvsmachine
10-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Yah haha just informing

Chilling_Silence
10-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Possibly longer even...

But what brought this up? :D

zcc
10-08-2007, 10:24 PM
I did not know that!

But since I am on Vista already ...

I dont need to know about OLD SOFTWARE anymore...

wainuitech
10-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Vista has its problems, any new OS will, but if you think about it thats nothing new.
When XP first came out many programs that ran on 98 wouldn't run on XP.

Microsoft have stated that XP willbe no longer available after 31st Jan 2008.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

ferrite
10-08-2007, 11:53 PM
i like vista mainly cause of the recycle bin icon

Pete O'Neil
11-08-2007, 12:49 AM
I dont see the point of people using vista right now because not very many programs work with it right now so its better off sticking with XP for now until roughly 6 months to a year.
What a waste of time post, i feel ripped off that i waste bandwidth opening this thread. Just informing :) You sir are a winner!

pctek
11-08-2007, 08:55 AM

What a lame reason to chnage O/Ss.

And:

System Builder License Availability (end date) January 31, 2009

ferrite
11-08-2007, 10:07 AM

And:

common its the best looking recycle bin icon they ever made:cool:

wainuitech
11-08-2007, 10:43 AM

And:

It may ? still be OK for peple who work in the IT business, like you and I PCtek, and thats a good thing still being able to get XP. :thumbs:

I should have put in "Direct OEM and Retail License Availability (end date)"
as I know its already hard to find an XP Machine from a big retail store like Noel Leemings, Bond & Bond etc. In fact there was that exact question in the PCworld mag a couple of issues ago, some one from down south asking where to buy XP.

--Wolf--
11-08-2007, 10:52 AM
Lets not forget TM and eBay. They'll have XP for a while.

wainuitech
11-08-2007, 11:23 AM
XP should still be around for a while, from various places - Sure.

But I kind of feel sorry for the "Average Joe Public" who wont go to a dedicated PC store, being forced to purchase Vista from some of the big retail stores since they are only able to sell what they can get, Compaq's etc, and most of the "name Brand" PC's are only available in Vista.

Sooner or later there will be no choice:(

Thats called progress according to MS:lol:

cowboy stu
11-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Will a techie store still install XP on a new machine ?
Is that the recommendation from you to the average user ?

Speedy Gonzales
11-08-2007, 02:41 PM

Too bad, if they dont you're buying it, if they want to sell it, they will.

Either that, or they'll have to sell you something with no OS, lower the price, and you can put your own OS on it.

winmacguy
11-08-2007, 03:18 PM

That would be an expensive excuse for an icon.

winmacguy
11-08-2007, 03:21 PM
common its the best looking recycle bin icon they ever made:cool:

Took them long enough to get round to it:rolleyes:

wainuitech
11-08-2007, 04:16 PM

I cant speak for every tech store and I wouldn't even attempt to try, but as speedy said, if they are willing or can get XP then theres no legal reason it cant be installed on a new PC.

As for whats recomended - depends on the needs of the user. Many people are happy? with XP others are happy with Vista. I run both in a duel boot setup and stand alone PC's.Some programs I use don't work with Vista ( Yet)

Speaking for my own company, I will still be offering either XP or Vista to the customers as long as XP is available.

winmacguy
11-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Took them long enough to get round to it:rolleyes:

All they did was alter the existing Mac one.

cowboy stu
11-08-2007, 06:23 PM
I cant speak for every tech store and I wouldn't even attempt to try, but as speedy said, if they are willing or can get XP then theres no legal reason it cant be installed on a new PC.

As for whats recomended - depends on the needs of the user. Many people are happy? with XP others are happy with Vista. I run both in a duel boot setup and stand alone PC's.Some programs I use don't work with Vista ( Yet)

Speaking for my own company, I will still be offering either XP or Vista to the customers as long as XP is available.

Thanks for that.. will have to decide which way to go . Happy with XP but do you play the game and keep upgrading. ??
What is the diff in prices ?

manvsmachine
11-08-2007, 10:18 PM
I have a copy of vista but i dont use it for now... and who ta hek likes vista just coz of its recycling bin lol....i posted this a bit late

winmacguy
11-08-2007, 10:26 PM
An icon that took 5 years to copy:rolleyes:

AMD
12-08-2007, 02:20 AM
using vista is right.. works with all my programs... for day to day so what programs do u use?

Sweep
12-08-2007, 09:09 AM

I take it that with a duel boot system the two operating systems do not actually get on with one another. Swords or Pistols. Your choice of weapons!

You probably mean dual. But possibly you mean what you say.

godfather
12-08-2007, 11:13 AM
I moved this office to Vista a while back when updating the hardware.

Not found any needed applications that will not run, apart from having to upgrade my Palm desktop.

Frankly I don't see what the anti-Vista fuss is about, from my experience here it's the most stable Windows OS yet. But I do recall the exact same comments from many people when XP came out, that they were simply not moving from Windows 98, ever.

Wonder if they are the same people now not wanting Vista ... ?

It's only a computer operating system. It's not attached to you via an umbilical cord, as long at the "off" switch works, it's all good.

wainuitech
12-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Thanks for that.. will have to decide which way to go . Happy with XP but do you play the game and keep upgrading. ??
What is the diff in prices ?

1. Do you play the game ... up to you. My moto is if it's working OK for you, no need to change - Blimey, I went to a person place the other day, they said the PC was old - Win 3.1 :xmouth:
2. Prices - OEm pricing - Depending on what the system builder is selling it for, but from my vendors .

Microsoft OEM Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
Microsoft OEM Windows XP Home Edition SP2

XP Home is $11.00 Cheaper than Vista Premium.

Big John
12-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Nothing wrong with Vista. Runs every single program that I need it to run. Also runs those that even software companies themselves say are not supported.

You say tomato, I say Tamato.

Bozo
13-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Just wait untill Microsoft brings out Softgrid.
I went to a seminar recently, and a guy from M$ was giving us a demo of the beta version, and it pwns! it is going to be great when it is finally released to the market.

For those who don't know what it is, it is a program that allows you to virtualize applications within your OS. Not entirely sure whether it will enable you to run apps that don't work on vista, inside your virtual environment but it seemed as though you could.
Also, you can say goodbye to viruses etc. becuase you can run your web browswer etc on this program, and if you get a whole heap of spyware etc. all you do is delete that little file and start again. your host OS hasn't been affected. :p

Personally, i enjoy using vista, great OS, but am still dual-booting to xp pro an vista. can't bite the bullet and delete my xp partition yet :(

hkeyzer
13-08-2007, 12:23 PM
I installed Windows Vista Ultimate on a existing (I use a removable system drive so I can "dual boot" without sharing hard drives). The issues I had on install were 2 driver issues.
1/ Cameo 1500 wireless adapter won't start up correctly but after I let Vista search the net for suitable drivers - it found and installed no problem.

2/ A Pleasis LAN storage device is sometimes seen by Vista, but is often likely to lock up. The device was only released less than 6 months ago, so I find it odd the manufacturer has not yet made Vista compatible drivers for it.

I've been running it 3 weeks now and the only program that won't run on it is ghost 3 (but I had already invested in Acronics True Image -so not a big issue). I would be interested to hear from others specifically which programs don't run on Vista. Note I haven't tried any games yet.

On an install for a client I migrated their system back from Vista to XP,due to driver issues, we could not get the following to work on vista (or locate suitable drivers) all are only 3-4 years old:
Brother Multifunction printer.
Kycona 1100+ lazer printer.
Sony digital camera would not be seen by Vista - (however the memory card in a reader was OK).
Artec scanner.
And Nortons NAV 2005 (but thats easily replaced by AVG anyway)

So far I haven't experienced anything that will "Wow" me to vista. Networking issues are cause for frustration, but once all up and running it seems to run OK. So if someones upgrading an old machine with plenty of older peripherals - I would recommend they stick with XP as the drivers are more likely to be there. However if investing in new applications - why not give Vista a go?

limepile
13-08-2007, 12:37 PM

For those who don't know what it is, it is a program that allows you to virtualize applications within your OS. Not entirely sure whether it will enable you to run apps that don't work on vista, inside your virtual environment but it seemed as though you could.
Also, you can say goodbye to viruses etc. becuase you can run your web browswer etc on this program, and if you get a whole heap of spyware etc. all you do is delete that little file and start again. your host OS hasn't been affected. :p
:(

I run my browser in "sandbox" and it seems to do exactly the same thing.Am I way ahead of the times??

winmacguy
13-08-2007, 01:42 PM
I went to a seminar recently, and a guy from M$ was giving us a demo of the beta version, and it pwns! it is going to be great when it is finally released to the market.

Apple already does that with Bootcamp which I believe is going to have some form of tighter integration in Leopard and you can do it with Parallels which I have installed. No Virus or reformatting issues with OS X.

Bantu
13-08-2007, 01:50 PM

You can change the recycle bin icon to what ever you want, and the sounds it makes, it is not hard to do. Works in Win2k, WinXP and Vista

Jams
13-08-2007, 02:40 PM

Like tits on a bull.

Bozo
13-08-2007, 06:39 PM
I run my browser in "sandbox" and it seems to do exactly the same thing.Am I way ahead of the times??
no not really, i think you will find there are several of us who do the same.
But i can't really try and explain all the workings of Softgrid here, so we will just have to wait untill it is released and we can all start reading the wonderful (or not so wonderful) reviews on it, and learn all the pros/cons etc of it.

winmacguy
13-08-2007, 06:42 PM

Have you got Parallels on your Mac limepile?

Jayess64
15-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Vista has its problems, any new OS will, but if you think about it thats nothing new.
When XP first came out many programs that ran on 98 wouldn't run on XP.

Microsoft have stated that XP willbe no longer available after 31st Jan 2008.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

Great! Does that mean we can stop bothering with all that activation crap?

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2007, 10:44 PM
No, it probably means there wont be anymore updates.

It doesnt mean you wont have to activate it.

Pete O'Neil
15-08-2007, 11:06 PM
I moved this office to Vista a while back when updating the hardware.

Not found any needed applications that will not run, apart from having to upgrade my Palm desktop.

Frankly I don't see what the anti-Vista fuss is about, from my experience here it's the most stable Windows OS yet. But I do recall the exact same comments from many people when XP came out, that they were simply not moving from Windows 98, ever.

Wonder if they are the same people now not wanting Vista ... ?

It's only a computer operating system. It's not attached to you via an umbilical cord, as long at the "off" switch works, it's all good.
Nice to see someone with an ounce of sense when it comes to the Vista vs XP debate. Funny hows its mainly XP users doing the trash talking.

winmacguy
15-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Nice to see someone with an ounce of sense when it comes to the Vista vs XP debate. Funny hows its mainly XP users doing the trash talking.
XP users have been using their machines for 5 or so years and find that Vista doesn't offer any great advantages to justify the price of the "upgrade" which can include getting new hardware.

Nermal
17-08-2007, 04:06 PM
I've tried to like Vista but I have three big issues:

1. It won't play HD DVDs.
2. It crashes when I try to reboot.
3. It makes the computer squeal.

winmacguy
17-08-2007, 04:22 PM
You should read this article Nermal
A Cost Analysis of Windows Vista Content Protection
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html
Or this one