PDA

View Full Version : Email attachment download problems on dial-up

chovik
10-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Periodically I have problems downloading email attachments via dial-up. If the attachment is 2.2mbs it will down load to 2.1 and then I get an error message. It is not the size as when it is 4.2mb it will download to 4.1 and then error message. But the next day it will let me downlaod say a 3.8mb attachment so it is not a time out issue as such.
I can download via webmail but this is frustrating. My isp is ihug and I have had no real answer from them. It is not my virus software..had that all checked from that end and it is not a regular problem. What is crazier is that I set up an email fro my wife via ihug and if I send the atttachment to her I can download it..same computer, same ihug connection??
Any ideas thanks

JackStraw
10-08-2007, 12:28 PM
Check that the "check mail every....mins" in your eMail account settings is not set too low i.e. 5mins would be too low for dial up and largeish attachments. I would suggest setting it to several hours. If you need to check more frequently then do this manually.

Cicero
10-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Certainly need to look at your settings.

chovik
10-08-2007, 01:08 PM
Time out is set to max, automatic email check is disabled and like I said it doesn't matter if it is 2.1mb, 3.1mb 4.2mb or even 8mb. It stops always just as it is about to download at the very last minute.
Thanks for your aanswers but any other ideas or any other settings that I can check are appreciated
thanks

p.s. also it is not always??????

Cicero
10-08-2007, 02:21 PM
So the fault is intermittent?

And email is O/E?

JackStraw
10-08-2007, 11:55 PM
Anivirus? AVG mail scanner? NORTONS!!!!!!!?

chovik
11-08-2007, 11:18 AM
OS is XP pro
Email is Microsoft Outlook from Office 2003
Anti virus is Trend Micro 2007
Thanks for help

yes intermittent by this I mean I can download attachments ok then it will baulk at then end of an attachment...usually over 2mb but then next day it will let me download a 6 mb attachment...but it is happening quite often now...had long discussins with Trend and like I have been told if it is the anti virus settings then they usually block all attachments regardless of size and is not intermittent. If there are any other settings I could change I would appreciate as I feel it is at the ISP end but they tell me no..then again it is ihug

Cicero
11-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Till better ideas come along.

I would try using O/E for a while,see if gives problems.

Try disabling AV for a bit when having a problem.

chovik
11-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Have tried to download the emails with anti virus turned off but it makes no difference. The weird thing is like I said when I set up an alternative ihug email account I was able to download all attachments no trouble, so it appears to be pertinent to my email address. I have removed that address and reinstalled it a couple of times (just incase) but this has made no difference) I believe it to be a problem on ihug's side but unless anyone has some ideas I just get brushed aside with no answers from them and what can I saay to them..other than it is p#ssing me off.
All ideas vey much appreciated

timmy101
11-08-2007, 05:12 PM
I think you have to delete the outlook 2003 account and make a new one