PDA

View Full Version : External USB HDD

bk T
09-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Considering to get an USB external HDD enclosure and an HDD. Is it better to buy them separately or as a whole? If getting them separately, i.e. the enclosure and HDD, should I set the HDD jumper to Master or slave?

CYaBro
09-08-2007, 11:35 PM
From my experience it would be better to go for a USB HDD as an all-in-one unit rather than getting the USB housing and fitting your own HDD.
Had too many of the USB housings fail (different brands) to ever go there again.
You can't go wrong with either Seagate or Western Digital.

Bozo
09-08-2007, 11:40 PM
If you are going to get an external hdd, make sure it has firewire if it is any bigger than 80gb. USB is still significantly slower than firewire, and if you are transferring large quantities of data, you don't really want to have to wait too long do you?

Speedy Gonzales
09-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Thats if u have firewire in the first place, otherwise you cant use it anyway.

Bozo
09-08-2007, 11:57 PM
Thats if u have firewire in the first place, otherwise you cant use it anyway.
True, but the price of a firewire card is like $15 and is definately worth it for the increase in data transfer :cool:

bk T
10-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Also notice that there are IDE and SATA drives. Does it really matter whether it's SATA or IDE in this case? After all, it's using USB /Firewire!

Just have a quick check, found that Seagate or Western Digital are much more expensive than others.

FoxyMX
10-08-2007, 10:28 AM
No, that doesn't matter as long as the enclosure that it is in is the same. If you buy an all-in-one then you don't have to worry about that.

Seagate and WD may be more expensive because they could be offering a longer warranty.

Jams
10-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Harvey Norman have MyBooks 250GB for $179. They are pretty sexy lookin.

I've never been a fan of Western Digital, but a lot of Uni mates have them and they haven't had any issues with them.....yet.