PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Hibernation?

MasturJeff
08-08-2007, 08:10 AM
My laptop seems to have problems hibernating lately.

I was under the assumption that hibernation mode just saves the current state of the computer then shutsdown and no power/battery is used.

Well lately i've put my computer into hibernation mode, only to come back a few hours to find that when it comes out of hibernation mode it only has 5-6% battery left.

Can anyone assist me with this issue?

Driftwood
08-08-2007, 09:01 AM
1/ Is the battery getting tired.
2/ Have the power saving settings been altered.

johcar
08-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Hibernation does use some power, but not that much in that time period. Sounds like a battery issue - how much time do you get from the battery, disconnected from the mains, with the lid open and system running??

Bozo
08-08-2007, 02:54 PM
What hibernation does, is get everything currently stored in the RAM and write it to the hard drive. If you want to help wear out your hdd faster, use the hibernation.
How long does your laptop last on its battery when running normally?

MasturJeff
08-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Not sure. My battery is pretty dead I suppose. I've had this laptop for almost a year now.

Just that I'll go into hibernation mode at 99%, come back a 5-6 hours later turn it on and i'm using it for 2 minutes till boom it's at 5-6% and it's giving me the warning message and saying its' going back into Hibernation mode.

---

Something that caught my attentino. My computer says it needs 1200mb to go into Hibernation mode. Well I only had about 800mb remaining on my HDD. I wonder if that had anything to do abuot it. But I watched it go into hibernation mode, not standby.

Bozo
08-08-2007, 10:58 PM
Something that caught my attentino. My computer says it needs 1200mb to go into Hibernation mode. Well I only had about 800mb remaining on my HDD. I wonder if that had anything to do abuot it. But I watched it go into hibernation mode, not standby.
yep, that is why. you should use standby, not hibernate, hibernate is kinda crazy and just helps wear out your hdd faster ae