PDA

View Full Version : Problem:Computer turns on but nothing on monitor

jtr327
07-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Hi! any kind of help would be nice

Warning!....kind of long sorry

Story: all of a sudden my computer froze...mouse not responding, ctrl+alt+del not responding, so I manually cut the power off

When I turned it back on: the processor light blinks once, all the fans are running, no unusual noises, but there is absolutely nothing on the screen...i mean absolutely nothing shows up from when I first powered on.

So I contact all these customer services and this is some of their advice:

-Livechat GeekSquad@Bestbuy:
Rep1: something wrong with hardware take it to store wants $250. My 3-year warranty just expired in june then this happens. I had never had to take this computer in for anything..before
Rep2: told me to press F2 at Sony splash screen...but the thing is nothing shows up on the screen
Rep3: told me take out this CMOS thing from my motherboard<<?? for 12 minutes and put it back<<<<<<what exactly does that do? I didn't try this one...was not brave enough

-Livechat@Sony:
Rep1: tells me to press F10 after powering on which will restore back to factory settings and lose all data.*****which I did not because I did not want to lose any of the data<<lots of important files mostly video files. I've never backed up my data before because the computer was really running fine and then all of a sudden this happened. they told me it was the only way.

And told me to go to this site www.drivesavers.com<<<does anyone know about this site or reccomend it?

anyways the most important thing to me is that I recover all my data....well in more simple terms DATA>COMPUTER. But if someone knows any solution to that'd be great! anything really...my comp stats...don't know what it means but maybe if it helps...also should I get this fixed or just buy a new computer all together? becasue if fixing it is costly I'd rather just get a new one, but I'm not sure any advice?

**only problem I ever had was sometimes the sound would stop and then I would just restart the computer and it would come back

bought it 2004
SONY VAIO PCV-RS620G
Intel Pentium 4 Processor
Processor Speed 3E GHz
800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
512MB PC3200 400MHz DDR
ATI Radeon 9200 128MB
VGA, DVI, TV-OUT
160GB 7200 Hard Drive

If you got this far and reading this sentence then THANK YOU again...you made it

-The End-

wainuitech
07-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Looked at that Drive savers, its in the US, so no real point in sending a drive overseas.

But to your problem - When you turn on the PC and the Hard Drive starts, look at the monitor near the power button, what colour is the power light - green or browney / orange ?

Have you also tried another monitor ?

wratterus
07-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Welcome to PressF1.

Does the monitor power up when you turn the PC on?

The thing that tech support said about removing the cmos battery, that is a good idea, and the first thing I'd do.

Called resetting the bios.

Unplug the power cord from the PC, take the side off the case.

Look on the motherboard for a battery (about the size of a new 50c coin. same shape as a watch battery). Touch the case to discharge any static that may be on you, and pop out the battery. Leave it for a half hour, then pop it back in, plug the PC back into the power and turn it on.

There is often a bios reset jumper (http://www.depannetonpc.net/images/bios1.jpg) on the motherboard, using this is a lot quicker than removing the battery. If you can find a jumper that looks like the one in the pic, pull the jumper off (example) pins 2 and 3, and put it on pins 1 and 2. leave it there for 10 secs or so, then pull it off and put it back on pins 2 and 3. Then plug the PC back into the power and turn it on.

somebody
07-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Looked at that Drive savers, its in the US, so no real point in sending a drive overseas.

But to your problem - When you turn on the PC and the Hard Drive starts, look at the monitor near the power button, what colour is the power light - green or browney / orange ?

Have you also tried another monitor ?

Looks like the poster is from overseas, as they bought it from Best Buy - a large US retail chain. Being a New Zealand forum, we might not be able to be of too much help in terms of who to call etc.

jtr327: Does the monitor stay in standby mode, or does it show some sign of life?

Are you able to test the monitor on another computer to check that it is fine?

jtr327
07-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Hey thanks everyone!
Yea I have tested the monitor...umm hooked it up to a different computer and it diesplays everything fine....but when I hook it up to my problem comp the monitor is on and then it says no signal detected when I power my comp on

wainuitech: umm I am not sure exactly where that light is....by the power button there is a light and symbol under it looks like a can I always thought that was my processor light something because it flashes when I start opening up programs and such I don't think I have a power light except for this big VAIO thing that lights up when my computer is on

on my monitor its green when comp start and then says no signal detected and then turns blank and orange

wratterus: Hi thank you!!
I will try taking out the battery and/or resetting the bios jumper does this erase my data? ...any of it....will be bad for me
also what exactly does that battery do? And how did the battery fail?

somebody: Hi...yea I live in the US....heh this was the first link I clicked after searching in Google...yea...lol...I didn't notice until you told me...again sorry!

wratterus
07-08-2007, 01:45 PM
No it will not erase any data - the battery has not necessarily failed, it's possible the problem lies elsewhere, but resetting bios/cmos is a good place to start. Sorry did not notice you were overseas, the 50c coin tip won't help much!! :lol:

Edit (copy and paste)

All computers manufactured in the 'modern era' require a small battery on the system board that provides power to the Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor (CMOS) chip, even while the computer is turned off. This chip contains information about the system configuration (e.g., hard disk type, floppy drive types, date and time, and the order in which the computer will look for bootable disks). All AT, ATX, or later computers have a CMOS battery that allows the CMOS to preserve these settings.

It's possible that the settings, or something, has become corrupted, or simply the board needs to be completely disconnected from the power for a while.

jtr327
07-08-2007, 01:47 PM
wainuitech: about the lights...when I opened the comp up and the power cord is connected there is green light that is on it is internal and located on the motherboard<<<<maybe that is what you mean........and when I unplug the power cord it turns off

wratterus: umm I can't seem to find the yellow switch could it be a different color or something...where should it be located near the battery.....or is it different for each computer...I ahve found the battery though...i am not sure how to take it out...I don't want to scratch it

jtr327
07-08-2007, 01:50 PM
wratterus: "the 50c coin tip won't help much!!" LMAO I don't get it but the smiley face got me.....enlighten me heh!

OKAY NVM sorry I get it<<<<<yes am slow

wratterus
07-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Some motherbaords don't have the reset jumper, it could be another colour but usuaully it's easily identifiable, near the battery. Don't worry to much about scratching it, I often use a small screw driver to push back the tab holding the battery in, and then flick it out with my fingers.

Edit: :lol: :lol: I meant im sure your 50c coin isn't the same size as ours, so it would not help you in finding the cmos battery, but as you found it, it's inconsequential.

jtr327
07-08-2007, 01:55 PM
gotcha, heh
Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."
now that is funny

jtr327
07-08-2007, 01:58 PM
kay got the the battery out!!!! question: when I put it back in do I need to put it in a certain way or does it not really matter since its a circle?

question: does it have to be exactly thirty minutes or could it be under or over?

wratterus
07-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Doesn't matter since it's a circle.. :p just make sure it's the right way up.

Leave it at least 20 mins just to be sure all the power has drained out, and you definitley unplugged the power cable from the pc?

wainuitech
07-08-2007, 02:04 PM
The green light i was referring to is normally right beside/under the power button on the monitor, BUT since you tried the monitor and it works on another PC, then its OK.

Now a process of elimination - going by your spec's I assume ( I know - never assume;) ) as long as you have a graphic card and not onboard graphics, after following the advice from wratterus, ground yourself and carefully remove the graphic card then reseat it, sometimes dust may cause the graphic card not to work correctly, then retry - fixed many graphic problems like that.

If it still doesn't work one test I use to see if the boards faulty is to remove all the RAM, remove then turn it on and the PC should beep like crazy - No RAM. Silly as this may sound, double check every thing is plugged in and secure.

jtr327
07-08-2007, 02:27 PM
wratterus: yup the power cable is out but I left all my other cables in like the mouse and keyboard internet and such<<hope that doesn't matter

wainuitech:....wow ground myself....well I don't quite no even what a graphic card looks like and/or removing it? Question: what exactly does that do removing it and then reseating it? also: I also thought that dust was causing this so I dusted it my comp out<< but you're suggesting that I take it out and dust it by itself?

I will try the RAM one<<wish me luck!

also what do you mean by everything...as in monitor and mouse keyboard...etc etc?? well this thing happened all of sudden ...I was just working on my comp...everything was working fine then all of a sudden my mouse was not responding and neither was anything else ctrl+alt+del nothing no responnse so I had to manually cut off the power and when I turned it back on it was like I said nothing showing up on my monitor...like before I never had problems with this comp except when sometimes the sound goes out...so really this was like a big shock because I didn't back anything.

jtr327
07-08-2007, 02:55 PM
hey guys I put the battery back in but it was the same deal<<<which is probably not a good sign but I'm going to try it again but wait a little longer this time

also should take out the graphics card when the battery is out and the power unplugged?

wratterus
07-08-2007, 02:58 PM
OK. You would have left it out long enough, leave the battery in now. With the PC unplugged, take out the video card and put it back in, making sure it's nice and tight, try turning the PC on again. If that doesn't work, take out any RAM thats in the PC and try turning it on. It should beep like a mad thing. If it does, it shows theres still life there somewhere. ;)

SurferJoe46
07-08-2007, 02:59 PM
Had a Vaio here a week or so ago with pretty much the same...and more problems...

I just unplugged the power supply, and held in the power button for 30 seconds.

Take finger off the power button....then replace the power cord and reboot and see what you get.

Much more than that and I suspect the vid card went belly up...

But one last question..are there any "post" beeps?

wainuitech
07-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Ground yourself means the same as Wratterus wrote ( quote) Touch the case to discharge any static that may be on you.

What happens by removing the graphic card and reseating it and blowing out any dust - this cleans the contacts between the graphic card and motherboard, sometimes dirt/dust gets in there and loses contact. If you have tried every thing else and nothing works and not happy about removing other parts then don't do it.Seek assistance from some one who is happy(and knows what they are doing) to test parts. From what you wrote, the first items that come to mind that I would test are 1. Graphic card 2.Memory detecting 3. Power Supply working 100% 4. Possible faulty Motherboard - espically if the monitor shows no sign of life.

By checking all the external cables I meant just in case something worked lose and may be causing a problem (got a story about a customer who called me once that I may tell some time:lol: )

wainuitech
07-08-2007, 03:16 PM
To hell with it :lol: I'm in a good mood, and heres the story:
Had a customer call me saying the pc was F**ked - wouldn't start, dead as. I said, " this may sound like a silly question BUT are all the leads plugged in and turned on, in case some one unplugged something" ?
His reply - Do you think I'm a F**ken Idiot - I did check and yes they are all connected and turned on but its dead- OK I said just possibly saving you a $80.00 service call. So I drove for 20 minutes, went to turn it on and guess what ? No power lead - His comment -"Oh that black lead - we moved it to the sons PC upstairs to get his going last night" - I guess I am a F**ken Idiot then - I tried not to smile and said nothing!! ALL TRUE:lol: :lol:

wratterus
07-08-2007, 03:20 PM
Had a customer call me saying the pc was F**ked - wouldn't start, dead as. I said, " this may sound like a silly question BUT are all the leads plugged in and turned on, in case some one unplugged something" ?
His reply - Do you think I'm a F**ken Idiot - I did check and yes they are all connected and turned on but its dead- OK I said just possibly saving you a $80.00 service call. So I drove for 20 minutes, went to turn it on and guess what ? No power lead - His comment -"Oh that black lead - we moved it to the sons PC upstairs to get his going last night" - I guess I am a F**ken Idiot then - I tried not to smile and said nothing!! ALL TRUE:lol: :lol:

Rolmfao!! :lol: :lol:!!! Idiot.....expencive mistake.

jtr327
07-08-2007, 03:28 PM
wratterus:How should i go about taking out the graphics card what does it look like? also the ram?

surferjoe: hi thanks for your reply! I did what you said and still nothing...no beeps at all...just fans on no other lights blinking
also when I plug the power cord in the computer automatically starts like without having to press the on button?? is that normal?
and is turning my comp on and off like this erasing my data or corrupting it?
also how does a vidcard go belly up? I had an HP for 7 years almost and everything was fine but this one is only 3 years<<< is it time to get a new comp?

wainuitech:heh actually I would like to hear it after this ordeal....customer you say? Do you run some sort of computer business?

is it really that complicated? to all of those..is there some kind of book or guide I can buy? because the people that want to fix my comp is asking for $250 plus...is that the normal rates?

for the third part...I'm not quite following<<<yea...I got completely lost:blush:
I see where the monitor is plugged in and on the inside there is this long skinny green table with black chips on top and words and silver dots?? sorry lol don't know the names?
umm also on the bottom of the green table there is this black box that looks like a patch of grass that hasn't been cut and these green and silver coke can looking things that are sitting horizontally from the green table not vertically like in layingdown?? hope you could decipher<<

right now I am looking for a picture of the back because I don't own a digital camera sorry only a cell phone camera bad quality

jtr327
07-08-2007, 03:36 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA..............OH MYYY GODD:D that made my day
........better go double double check my crap:xmouth: .....HAHAAH god
How did you NOT laugh heh props
btw is it morning over there for you guys??

wratterus
07-08-2007, 03:38 PM
3 PM Mate! :lol:

The graphics or video card (same thing) is what you plug your monitor into. It should look something like this (http://www.ixbt.com/video2/images/nv41-3/albatron-6800-in-slot.jpg), (the big thing in the middle of the picture), although probably not as chunky. You'll most likely need to unscrew and unclip it, just look at it, it's pretty easy to figure out.

Re Joe's question, in hearing your responce I would pull out the RAM and try that before pulling out the graphics card.

B.M.
07-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Forgive me if Iíve missed something here and this question has already been answered. :o

What beeping noise does it make upon POST if any?

Is there a light of any sort on the Monitor?

I think the Monitor should display something regardless of lost BIOS settings but I stand to be corrected.

(That's provided it's connected and the power is on) :D

wratterus
07-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Forgive me if I’ve missed something here and this question has already been answered. :o

What beeping noise does it make upon POST if any?

Is there a light of any sort on the Monitor?

I think the Monitor should display something regardless of lost BIOS settings but I stand to be corrected.

(That's provided it's connected and the power is on) :D

The monitor is not giving a "no signal" message when the PC is powered on, which is strange.

If a monitor is turned on but not plugged into anything, there should be some kind of "no signal" error. If it is turned on and plugged, but there is no signal going to it, it should be in "sleep" mode.

No BIOS beeps.

jtr327
07-08-2007, 03:45 PM
HAH 3PM and you said mate...first time I have been called that well its 11 PM here pitch black and I am chatting with you guys over in New Zealand the internet<<it's amazing
how should I pull out the RAM? Is it safe to touch it...should I wear gloves or something....is like my fingerprint juice going to affect anything??
oh yeah and I can't see the page you sent it's 403 Forbidden me...lol

jtr327
07-08-2007, 03:48 PM
oh no guys it does give a no signal detected when I first power on the comp but then after a few sec well my monitor anyways it goes into power save automatically while the comp is till running....so I think it is my comp
here is what my monitor says exactly:
NO INPUT SIGNAL
GO TO POWER SAVE
its a sony monitor don't know ifthat helps any.

wratterus
07-08-2007, 03:49 PM
Oh sorry bout that, worked for me.

It's better to touch the ram as little as possible.

This (http://www.build-your-own-computer-tips.com/install-ram.html) should give you an idea, again make sure you discarge yourself before touching it :D. basically unclip it and pull it out, touching only the ends if possible.

Edit - Sorry should have read your previous post regarding the monitor more thoroughly.

wainuitech
07-08-2007, 03:52 PM
In New Zealand its 3.10 pm Tuesday

And yes I run my own PC business, have done for 5 years now.

Got a service to to make so I'll look back later to see if the problems been resolved.

jtr327
07-08-2007, 03:53 PM
yea there is no beeps...from what I remember I never hear beeps on start up
ever....
**but I never shut down my comp ever like never..... I only ocassionally restart it<<<<<is there something wrong with that.....crap...lol or did I just turn into the guy in the story......

well actaully I just turned it on to double check for beeps here is what happens exactly:
I press the power and one sec later it says EHHHH or something like ECKKK something like that?? Is that what you call a beep<< But that EHH sound is what I usually hear
also is it safe to keep cutting the power am I corruopting my data?

wratterus
07-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Your data should be fine, if your worried unplug the power from the hard drive. The bios beep is distict, and usuaully quite loud. Did you take the RAM out and try turning the PC on with no RAM in?

jtr327
07-08-2007, 04:00 PM
wainuitech: hey thanks for everything!
wratterus: I see two of those clip like things? which one do I take out?

wratterus
07-08-2007, 04:03 PM
OK. There should be a clip (http://cache.lifehacker.com/assets/resources/uploaded/2005-11-21/retaining-clip.jpg) on each end of the slot (http://www.zabzaa.com/hardware/images/RAMSlot.jpg) that the ram (http://www.dansdata.com/images/newbox/oczram440.jpg) goes into.

All the RAM chips need to come out, to do this you will need to unclip them.

Hope all those links work for you...they are sweet for me here ;)

jtr327
07-08-2007, 04:08 PM
yup I got all three
but you know this one http://www.dansdata.com/images/newbox/oczram440.jpg
I think I have two of those in there
I have four white clips on both ends
it goes
white clip>greentable>whiteclip
whiteclip> nothing>white clip
whiteclip>greentable>whiteclip
whiteclip>nothing>whiteclip

wratterus
07-08-2007, 04:09 PM
OK. Thats sweet, take both chips out.

jtr327
07-08-2007, 04:12 PM
okay check! gotem out
so now do I just plug int he power?
do I need to puch the white clips back? or does it not matter?

wratterus
07-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Cool. Clips don't matter.

Now plug the PC in, turn it on and tell me what happens, and if theres any beeps.

jtr327
07-08-2007, 04:15 PM
there are NO beeps<<<<thats not good is it? just exact same as before

should that little battery be in there while the RAM is out?

wratterus
07-08-2007, 04:22 PM
No, unfourtunatley it's looking like a failed motherboard.:dogeye: :dogeye:

One more thing to try.

Leave the RAM out

Take out the graphics card, and any other PCI cards, EG modem.

The PCI (http://www.build-your-own-computer-tips.com/images/P1010212.jpg) slots look like that.. those white ones. Anything in them, including the graphics card which will be at the top, take out. Make sure the bios battery is in and the RAM is out. Then turn the PC on and see what happens.

What we're doing is diagnosing and narrowing down the problem, by removing all the items possible that could be causing the problem.

SurferJoe46
07-08-2007, 04:23 PM
jtr327....I am on the same time zone as you..I am in California, near Palm Springs

At this very moment it is about 3:45 PM on Tuesday there (NZ) I think..the day may be wrong, but the time is accurate.

We are at 8:45PM Monday here.

jtr327
07-08-2007, 04:25 PM
aright gotcha so take out all those green table things is what you mean
should i unplug all the cords too
but leave the battery in?

surferjoe46: I am in Florida its 11:46PM I thought I was the only one not from New Zealand are you familiar with Vaios? did the other vaio person get their problem fixed??

wratterus
07-08-2007, 04:29 PM
By green table I assume you mean motherboard? With all the capacitors etc etc.

Inside the case, the only things that should be taken out are the RAM chips and any PCI cards. Unplug the keyboard, mouse, and everything from the back of the PC apart from the power cable.

Then see what happens.

jtr327
07-08-2007, 04:37 PM
aright
I unplugged everything even monitor? ill plug the power when i turn it on
okay here is what i got:
I took out 2 ram small green tables (motherboards?) yeah?<
-there is one gigantic green table setting vertically from the table inside the comp but there is a fan in front of it
-one medium green table setting horizontally form table attached to gigantic1
-smaller green table under it but it is connected with screws and these (redwhiteblack wires) connected to it
-and then under that one there is a small green table with a big black box on top

jtr327
07-08-2007, 04:42 PM
sorry hope you could decipher that
you know in this pic http://www.build-your-own-computer-tips.com/images/P1010212.jpg
the white things I have three of those and two brown ones that look exactly lik the white ones
it goes form top to bottom
brown-medium green table
white-green table with (redwhiteblack) wires
white-nothing
white-nothing
brown-small green table black box

**should I unscrew them......actually I have had to that kind of thing because I had to install a wireless thingie for a diff computer<<<should I do it like that?

wratterus
07-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Ahh!!!! I have seen the light now and know exactly what your talking about!! :D Yip,unscrew them and take them all out. It would be just like installing a wireless 'thingie', only backwards.

jtr327
07-08-2007, 04:50 PM
hehehe LMAO that was such a great reaction....HAHAHAH!! arightI gotcha

SurferJoe46
07-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Those are expansion slots with a few expansion cards in them..if you can, take out all but the vid card...

The vid card should have the long-ish connector in it (on the outside/back of the tower/case) that will have two thumb screws in it to hold the connector in...this SHOULD be the vid card. Leave it in for this test...

all others are to be removed temporarily.

jtr327
07-08-2007, 04:57 PM
wratterus: remember the one with the red white and black wires attached to it Do I leave those wires connected right??

**I have sucessfully removed the other two green tables

SurferJoe46
07-08-2007, 04:59 PM
tables = cards

I suspect the one with the "wires" is an audio card and they go to a cd-rom or dvd-rom..right?

cd-rom/dvd-rom = cd or dvd player(s) on the front side of the tower..the ones with the drawers that slide open and look like cup holders

jtr327
07-08-2007, 04:59 PM
surferjoe: i think i took out the vidcard already...is it the one that has the connection to the monitor on the outside? also has an s-vid thing and another monitor connection looking thing

i took that one out should i put it back in?
table=cards gotcha thanks!

**what about the one green card that is still attached to the computer by these redwhiteblack wires?

wratterus
07-08-2007, 05:00 PM
Leave it out - unplug the red, white and black cables that come from the CD Drive. What this is acheiving is unplugging everything that could be causing your motherboard to not work properly. We're not just filling in time. ;)

Edit: If once everything including the RAM is taken out and the motherboard still isn't doing anything, and there are no beeps, It is almost certain the motherboard is fried.

SurferJoe46
07-08-2007, 05:04 PM
I didn't fully follow wratterus's idea..so let him answer that one...he may want everything out..I personally would like to see if the vid card is still sending a sig to the monitor though..but it's a good test either way..somehow I don't follow it..but let's let ONE person help..I concede to wratterus right now....this is becoming an IM on F1....lol

jtr327
07-08-2007, 05:11 PM
heh oh no okay crap...
okay that green card ill tell you about it
it has the cable out thing, the s-vid, and then you know the red white yellow holes<,where you hook up lik PS2 or something<<its that kind of card
then it has two white box that holds the RWB wires ts encased in this gray wire
white box RWB wires goesand connects to the one GIGANTIC green table<motherboard?? right
the other bigger white box RBW wires into 4 grey cords goes to the front of my computer
attaches to another green card (I think you want me to take this out I didnt notice this one Sorry) on the outside of this green card there is svideo redwhiteyellowholes >>>it has 4 USB ports, ilink, memory stick pro someother little card holes

*** my cd drives are at the top and I don't think my green card is connected to them? my cd drives are connected to motherboard by these other wires

wratterus
07-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Mate, lets stop pulling stuff out, neither of us knows what the other person is talking about. :lol: Try turning the PC on now, with no RAM in, and see if it beeps.

jtr327
07-08-2007, 05:16 PM
I didn't fully follow wratterus's idea..so let him answer that one...he may want everything out..I personally would like to see if the vid card is still sending a sig to the monitor though..but it's a good test either way..somehow I don't follow it..but let's let ONE person help..I concede to wratterus right now....this is becoming an IM on F1....lol

I know really!! i really owe wratterus I'll try that vidcard test too thanks!!

jtr327
07-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Mate, lets stop pulling stuff out, neither of us know what the other person is talking about. :lol: Try turning the PC on now, with no RAM in, and see if it beeps.

Yeah I know sorry!! AHHHH
no beeps? stillt he same

wratterus
07-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Yeah I know sorry!! AHHHH

:lol: no worries.. [Edited]

jtr327
07-08-2007, 05:19 PM
nothing no beeps<<< crap
aright gotcha

wratterus
07-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Put the RAM and video card back in. Try again. :cool:

jtr327
07-08-2007, 05:24 PM
white clips dont clip
EDIT
GOt it NVM

jtr327
07-08-2007, 05:36 PM
i got nothing, put the ram back in and the vid card and it was doing the same thing as before
Ahh crap
whats the verdict your honor?
this is going to be bad isnt it

wratterus
07-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Unfourtunatley it looks like a failed motherboard. I've gotta get going now, put everything back in and take it to a PC repair place, or whatever your preferance is =)

Good luck.

jtr327
07-08-2007, 05:42 PM
aright thanks for everything really! thanks everyone
If anyone else has any ideas please feel free I am going to stay here in the thread!! Please help!

wainuitech
07-08-2007, 05:48 PM
I'MMMMMMMMMM back :dogeye: Been looking at the posts. All great suggestions, but it looks a lot like the Motherboard ( main Big board) is fried, this could have also been the cause of the sound not working some times, starting to fail.

About the only other thing I would do, but you will need the help here, is to try changing the Power supply, ( PSU - big squareish box with all the leads) Theres a very small chance that the PSU while still working may not be putting out enough power to fire any thing up apart from the fans. BUT it look s a lot like the Boards Fried.

Repairs ? What I do is give prices to repair/replace components, then compare to a New PC. I don't know the charge out rates in the US, but your $250 mentioned before to me is HIGH, ($320ish NZ) If you decide it needs repairing ask service companies for quotes, because if the rest of the components are OK you may just need to repalce the board ( maybe a non distruct reinstall as well)

jtr327
07-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Hey wainuitech thanks!!
oh yea i have overlooked something probably really dumb but when I turn the power on the keyboard lights blink up but still nothing from the monitor<< is it a sign of life?

yea now I am thinking of either getting this fixed or buying a new comp.
but I really need the data on this comp how Do I save it....is it saveable as in I can save it
some people in a different forum say they took out their harddrive and when they took their comp in for servicing and got it fixed and what not they came home and put their old hardrive is that even possible??
can I do that if I bought a new comp?

jtr327
07-08-2007, 08:01 PM
OHH geez i wish i lived in new zealand then I could just stop by your store......
ony sony website repair cost is 279.99
motherboard replacement= 699.99
WOW!
plus they dont ensure my data something about reformatting
which is why I was thinking of just buying a new one. Do you recommend Sony again<<
how can I pay for YOUR service? no really...lol

feersumendjinn
07-08-2007, 08:46 PM
Dont take/send it to a Sony repair agent, sounds as if they'll rip you off royally (700 bucks for a motherboard?!?, a new Asus/Gigabyte/etc motherboard should be no more than $200-300 for a top-specification item in US dollars); I would advise you to find a friendly local computer store that will rebuild your machine for a lot less than that Sony price.
Tell them to refit your old hard drive and do a repair installation to match your operating system to the new motherboard; you may have a problem if your o/s is not on a separate cd/dvd and/or is a OEM version (probably wont reinstall on a new motherboard (not Original Equipment)).
Best way to get around this would be to get another new hard drive installed, with a new OEM copy of your operating system (XP, Vista?, you'll get this cheaper if you buy it with your new motherboard), and refit your original hard drive as a second drive, so you can recover your data from it. :waughh: :waughh:

wainuitech
07-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Hi jtr,

Your quote: oh yea i have overlooked something probably really dumb but when I turn the power on the keyboard lights blink up but still nothing from the monitor<< is it a sign of life?

It means the boards alive ( scary music here LOL) but parts of it are failing, all it takes is one of the circuts to fail and that can take out the graphics, audio or any other part.

OK you got two options.

1.If you take the PC in for Repair, and !@#$$($%^^& ( not allowed bad language in the forms, but you get the idea:rolleyes: ) That price is highway robbery, espically for a new board.
Reading the other Forum, they are right some places are lazy ( not all) reformatting is the usual way espically with "Name Brand" PC's.

You wouldn't have to have a Sony Motherboard, as they are simply boards made for sony, as long as the CPU/Memory/Graphic Card and other parts are all compatable then almost any board would work, the place would need to do a Non - Distruct Reinstall on your system, which simply means reinstalling windows with the new board and leaving all your data intact then installing the new drivers to make the boards function work, eg: audio etc. While this doesn't work 100% of the time it normally does. Hell I do that all the time. What I suspect would happen is they would wipe your drive, and then install a new OS, and lose all your data. - Bad practice / idea. But they could also save the data to another drive and and give that to you if they wanted to, or would be prepared to is more the case.

2. OK put the current PC in a safe place out the way for the mean time-

Depending on the price of a new PC, ( if your monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers) are all OK you may just be able to purchase the PC and reuse the above.

What you do is after purchasing the PC and getting it up and running, purchase a Removable Hard Drive enclosure, over here they are about $40 - $60, (exchange rate is around US$1 = .70 Cents NZ)simply an empty case that houses a hard Drive. Then if you look at the hard drive in your blown PC you will see 4 screws holding it in place, 2 each side, or possibly rails, not to sure how sony work.
Any way- carefully remove your hard drive with the data and simply plug it into the drive, it can only go one way- this drive has a USB connection / cable, simply plug it into the New PC's USB port, and there will be all the old OS, all your data etc. from My Computer on the new PC,My Documents for example will be (the drive letter may be different but you will soon see the correct one)E:\Document and Settings\( your login name\My Documents. Then after finding your data, you simply copy / paste it to the new PC.

Once its all copied you can reformat the old drive and use it as a backup storage.

My wife:o said we are in the wrong country, I would make a fortune if I lived in the US going by those prices. Use the exchange rate quoted above and work it out.

My prices-
Inspection fee $60-$80
New Board depending on what is required ( approx) $180.00
Labour to rebuild and reinstall, all data saved - $250.00
Time taken - 3 days Max

Look on your face - Priceless ( thats a Mastercard joke any NZ'er will get) LOL

As for recommending Sony ? I can't really reply, I dont deal with them, all I can say is expect around 3 or less years from a PC before parts start packing up.

As for your comment -how can I pay for YOUR service? no really...lol

ANSWER -:horrified :horrified- I blow raspberrys at ya! LOL:lol:

Write back if I can help / advice any more

wainuitech
07-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Feersumendjinn summed it up very well, it would be cheaper to rebuild the old PC from the right place than pay Sony's rip off prices.

Regarding the OEM requirements - errrrrrr:rolleyes: there are ways around that, simply install with the product key on the side of the case, as it wont be the same as the product key on your current PC any way, like its meant to be, any XP home CD will do, call microsoft when required, and tell them the original board blew and they simply give you a new code after asking certain questions:rolleyes: As long as you're honest with MS they normally are good to deal with.

Jen
07-08-2007, 09:30 PM
I can't offer any advice beyond what has already been covered. But I would like to say what a great effort some of the members, especially wratterus and wainuitech have gone to in trying to help out. Well done guys. :thumbs:

And, welcome to the forum (and New Zealand) jtr327. :)

jtr327
07-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Hey guys thanks for everything literally been up for two days now LOL

feersumendjinn: i know $700!!! thanks for the heads up, got kind of lost after the OEM stuff but I'm going to bring a copy of this entire 7pg convo with me to the repair store.....:D

wainuitech: oh darn ok i gotcha....yea i thought it might have been hope
KAY gotta say LOVE both options mainly because I get to keep my data now this is the kind of thing I wanted to hear....for the first two days after COMP MELTDOWN i have been on hold and been given the runaround....all of the people said that I would lose my data....I'm guessing most of the people I talked to know just about as much as I do about computers which you and wratterus know is didley nothing(see previous pages for examples)....

and yes you are definetely in the wrong country!! OMGAH you don't even know>>at least you can see shania twain there:D
and oh no no we have those Mastercard comercials here too LMAO if I could take a picture right now my face is absolutely priceless hehe really but no digicam:(
but to be honest the 50c coin and raspberrys went over my head but I'm guessing the blowing raspberrys is a good reply...I'm guessing:p

yea like Jen said<Hi!! by the way and thankyou, these guys were actually able to decipher my computer illiterate self:

*******Really BIG BIG THANKYOU to Wainuitech and wratterus really you guys saved me a TON of money I really don't know how to pay you back You're work here is done thank you, you guys taught me everything I need<<but don't be surprised if I come back here a week later... :blush: you guys are great!
speaking of money...WAINUITECH's wife you are 100% RIGHT, you need to drag him over and start making bank! I am telling you!!!
You guys take it easy!