PDA

View Full Version : Blue Screen of Death after inserting CD

extraordinaryrvanp
06-08-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm new to this forum, so apologize in advance if I bollox up your forum by posting this in the wrong place...

I am a student, and recently I've had two laptops that broke during a trip to Spain (shakes fist at self and airport staff in Madrid). So with the new school year coming up, I've had to dig out an old Dell Dimension 4100 desktop. The problem is that it doesn't have broadband cable ports, and I only have broadband.

So I went out and bought a Belkin USB Network Adapter. I happily made it home (happy that I wouldn't have to borrow my mate’s laptop) and was ready to install the CD that came with the adapter...and then once the CD drive started whirring, the Blue Screen of Death appeared with a OE:0028:00000002 Error message.

So, if someone can help:

1) Are there any similar devices that don't require a CD installation?

If not...

2) How do I fix the drive so I ca install the bloomin' adapter

And

3) Should I replace the drive altogether?

Thanks in advance

wratterus
06-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Welcome to PressF1! ;)

What OS are you running on the PC?

Have you tried going straight to the Belkin website and getting drivers from there?

Speedy Gonzales
06-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Does it show the name of a file, or driver, on the BSOD??

Looks like earlier versions of Zonealarm, can give u this BSOD.

Is this installed?

SolMiester
06-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Do you get a BSOD with every CD?

wainuitech
06-08-2007, 12:50 PM
By any chance is the old Dell got ME installed ?

extraordinaryrvanp
06-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Yeah, the Dell has Me.

I tried the disc again, and the blue screen came up again. Apparently it happens anytime that:

1) There is a disc (any disc) in the drive

2) There is a disc in th drive that was there before the PC was turned on (i.e., not running), but once you open My Computer, same thing happens.

"Does it show the name of a file, or driver, on the BSOD??"

No, just the blue screen and the error number.

Thanks a lot

wainuitech
06-08-2007, 02:17 PM
You May have faulty memory, try downloading Memtest and burn to a CD, http://www.memtest86.com/ there is another thing that comes to mind, I remember doing it a while back, but I'll have to look it back up as i can't remember exactly.:badpc:

Does the error message have VXD after it?

pctek
06-08-2007, 03:30 PM
I've had two laptops that broke during a trip to Spain (shakes fist at self and airport staff in Madrid).

Why haven't you put in an inurance claim then?

wainuitech
06-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Okay, That took some thinking, but I remember what was causing the problem on a Old ME.
It was Adaptec Easy CD Creator. The software was damaged and causing all sorts of problems, removed it and all was well.
I don't know if you have Adaptec installed, but that may ? also be your problem.:confused:
Worth a crack!

feersumendjinn
07-08-2007, 12:27 AM
You could try installing the driver from a usb flash drive.