PDA

View Full Version : drop FSB keep cpu cool?

heni72847
06-08-2007, 12:14 AM
nearly a week after my cmos decided to reset itself..I notice I had been running my computer at 1.25GHz instead of 1.7GHz
..funny how I didn't notice the performance difference instantly..
I only noticed today because I was in front of my computer during boot so I actually saw that my cpu's clockspeed was wrong!

so..looked around and noticed my FSB frequency was wrong
default setting ment that it went back to 100 instead of 133 for my Athlon XP 2000+ thoroughbred

after returning to the actual speed, I finally realized why my cpu temperature was lower the past few day, before I thought it was the weather being cold these days

now I'm wondering if dropping my FSB frequency during summer would help to keep my cpu cool, I have a small case and stock fan and during summer this cpu can go up to 70C...or idles at 64
during winter it idles at 57ish

I've always thought to reduce the heat dissipated was to reduce core voltage so the watt rating can decrease which leads to less heat dissipation
but now simply by dropping the FSB without decreasing the core voltage seems to make my cpu run a bit cooler

I don't know much about overclocking or underclocking, so can someone tell me if decreasing the FSB frequency is safe (do no physical damage to cpu) and actually decrease heat generated by the cpu, so I decrease the FSB frequency during those really hot summer days

drcspy
06-08-2007, 02:22 AM
yeh it's safe......

The_End_Of_Reality
06-08-2007, 07:22 AM
Yes, underclocking it is safe... It is running it slower than what the manufacturer believes is safe for the chip... You could probably even play around with the voltage and drop that a notch of two maybe and reduce the temps even farther...

The Athlon X2 HSF are great :D my CPU is overclocked to 2.7 (from 2.2) with 1.55V and the stock HSF and I am still yet to see 50C...

drcspy
06-08-2007, 09:11 AM
my P4 2.4ghz northwood cpu is running at 3.0ghz and currently is sitting on 20 degrees with standard cooling.....

heni72847
06-08-2007, 05:42 PM
my mobo doesn't allow me to change voltage so I guess I'll just stick with decreasing FSB frequency if I really need to

tweak'e
06-08-2007, 06:05 PM
if you can decrease the cpu muiltplyer rather than the FSB, that way the cpu will run slower without underclocking the ram.

Bozo
06-08-2007, 06:14 PM
I would seriously have a look inside your case to check out why it is running so hot. your cpu shouldn't be running that hot unless you either have no fan or are overclocking it.
Give your case a good clean, especially the heatsink and fan for your FSB and if need be, buy and install another fan. How many fans do you have inside your case? Your cpu should be able to run at 20-30 degrees normally and maybe go up a little during summer. Also, make sure that there has been correct application of thermal paste between the cpu and heatsink as this is a huge contributer to heat. better to have too little than too much.
a bit of a note about underclocking and overclocking.
The best way to underclock your system is to decrease the cpu multiplier rather than the cpu frequency. the cpu multiplier will only affect the performance of your cpu, not your whole system. decreasing the frequency (fsb) of your system will slow everything down, data transfer to the cpu, to/from the ram etc. So increase your frequency back up to 133mhz but if you want leave the multiplier.

PaulD
06-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Your cpu should be able to run at 20-30 degrees normally and maybe go up a little during summer.

The best way to underclock your system is to decrease the cpu multiplier rather than the cpu frequency.

20-30 if you are in Dunedin in the winter but at comfortable room temps you might have to accept higher temps. drcspy also needs to turn his heater on.

Many later CPUs were multiplier locked so varying the frequency was the only option.

Bozo
06-08-2007, 08:03 PM
20-30 if you are in Dunedin in the winter but at comfortable room temps you might have to accept higher temps.
Many later CPUs were multiplier locked so varying the frequency was the only option.
I am in nelson, in a room at normal room temperature, with a 2.2Ghz AMD Athlon 4400+ dual core overclocked 10% and it is sitting at 31 degrees. I don't have water cooling, just a clean case/heatsink and well place fans.

True about the cpu multiplier lock, gotta hate cpu's like that.

feersumendjinn
07-08-2007, 12:35 AM
nearly a week after my cmos decided to reset itself.

So, was the battery the problem?

The_End_Of_Reality
07-08-2007, 07:17 AM
I am in nelson, in a room at normal room temperature, with a 2.2Ghz AMD Athlon 4400+ dual core overclocked 10% and it is sitting at 31 degrees. I don't have water cooling, just a clean case/heatsink and well place fans. I am in an 18C room with my Athlon 4400+ at 2.7GHz on stock cooling and that is currently sitting at 30C...

heni72847
07-08-2007, 09:29 AM
I haven't bought a new batter yet but now my computer seems to work fine
so I'll leave it for now I think
I don't see why my other 2 older computers never needed to get their battery changed and now the newest one does

and the cpu multiplier.. I don't think I can change mine
my mobo is only pretty average not some overclockers mobo
overclocking has always being very low on my priority list

and about my computer being so hot, I have to say it's the case.
the motherboard is micro-ATX, and the case measures about 32x32 cm, and about 25cm thick
got 3 case fans and one more from psu
got stock AMD fan

I do clean the fans and heatsink when I see the temperature increasing and there is nothing much blocking the airflow

for now.. because after looking up cpu temperatures around the net and I notice athlon xp is hotter anyway, and my temperature is still somewhat 'safe' so.. guess this computer won't get a new case anything soon