PDA

View Full Version : I need help really bad

deathracer
05-08-2007, 07:44 PM
I was using partition magic to create a partion on my second hdd wich had vista on it but i didnt really use, so i was planning on installing linux on one of the partitions i planned to make, but i couldnt figure out how to do it so i decided to run xp again(wich is on my first hdd) to go online and ask for help, but then i saw that my second hdd didnt show up on my computer(i thought i messed it up while trying to install linux) so opened up partition magic and it told me my second hdd was hidden and i decided to make it unhidden and make it active, but after i did that it told me i needed to start my pc and needed to run windows repair(i thought yeah sure whatever in a sarcastic way) but now whenever i turn on my pc it gets to the windows xp logo and then the screen turns blue with some text for like halve a second and the computer restarts, is there a way to fix this?i had to format and install xp again on my second hdd for now.

wainuitech
05-08-2007, 08:30 PM
Just to make this clear, are you trying to get Vista or XP re running.

The blue screen and quick flash normally means a mis match of drivers to hardware.

If its XP try a non distruct reinstall, load windows as if doing a new install, one item that you have to look for when doing a reinstall and lose no data is after you press enter( first prompt) then F8 to agree to the license, in the next window, it MUST detect your old operating system, as it will ask which OS to repair.Do not press R to repair at the first prompt, its the second one when it detects your old install. You may need to reload drivers as well afterwards.

If you wish to reload Vista, boot with the DVD in place, and there ia an option to repair windows, that may work.

deathracer
05-08-2007, 08:48 PM
thanks, im gonna try that cause i did keep pressing R and it didnt help me much, and yes i reinstalled xp but on my second hdd after i formated it. so if i cant fix it im just gonna move everything to the second hdd wich im now using.

wainuitech
05-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Since you have the second HD running, you may also try connecting the original drive as a slave, then hopefully all your data can be transfered across.
Of course that will mean install all programs again, but hey a new clean install.

deathracer
06-08-2007, 11:56 AM
i just did what you said about repairing my windows and it wants me to reinstall windows i guess, cause it takes me to the screen telling me to intall windows, was this supposed to happen? and is if i do install it again this way do i have reprogram everything or can i go back to using all my programs?

wainuitech
06-08-2007, 12:34 PM
What I would do first is attach the drive as a second, then see if you can copy your files / data across to the new Install as a saftey measure, don't want to go losing any data if possible. Then try a non distruct reinstall on the damaged drive. Here is the exact sequence for a non distruct install ( excuse the bad spelling )

1. place windows CD in Drive, reboot PC,when booting it will briefly say " Press any key to boot from CD" - press any key
2. Setup loads files - will take a few moments
3. Then you'll get the install page, press ENTER to install windows
4. Press F8 To agree to the license
5.the install will start looking for any previous install, at this time it MUST, and I mean MUST locate and show the old install, which should be highlighted. If it doesn't then STOP.
6.As long as it HAS found the old OS, then you will have the option of - "to repair the selected windows XP installation press R". IF you DONT have this option then DONT carry on as all data will be lost thats on the drive. You will then need to extract your data another way. If you do have that option to Press R as it did find the old install, then Press "R" the new install will delete the main windows install and load in a new one, you will need your product key at some stage so make sure you loacte that before starting.

As long as the New Install locates the old install as in number 5, all your programs, and data will be there and working. (hopefully)
Good Luck

deathracer
06-08-2007, 05:12 PM
thanks for the help, im sure what you said would have worked for anyone else but i seem to have some of the worst luck so it didnt do me anygood, i still cant log into my old windows. so im gonna do like everyone tells me and just transfer everything into my new hdd and back up all the other stuff on dvd's cause my new hdd doesnt have enough space.

wainuitech
06-08-2007, 05:20 PM
The non Distruct doesn't work 100% of the time, I've had customers PC's that I've had to copy data from as a slave drive then do a complete reinstall. But at least its worth a try.:groan: