PDA

View Full Version : error 0x80040705 string access out of bounds

notechyet
03-08-2007, 11:33 AM
Hello members
I get the error:error "0x80040705 string access out of bounds" when I want to install the Brother MFC 7820n suite for the network machines.
Both machines are freshly installed XP PRo SP2 systems. I checked the installshield version and it is 9.
Please can someone give me a hint how to deal with this problem so I can install the printers.
Thanks
NT

godfather
03-08-2007, 11:48 AM
Are you installing from a network path, where the entire path and command string exceeds 300 characters in length?

This is the usual cause.

notechyet
03-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Are you installing from a network path, where the entire path and command string exceeds 300 characters in length?

This is the usual cause.

Thanks
I am installing on the second machine while connecting to the network printer over the Lan? If it exceeds the 300 characters I would not know?
How can I find that out? And if so(exceeding 300), how can I help/change it? Or does it have anything to do with Installshield?
NT

godfather
03-08-2007, 08:23 PM
If you are installing on the actual PC, that should not be the problem.

Only if you had a very long pathname from a driver install fileset deep within a directory structure on a server on a network would it combine with any file name on the install to exceed the 300 character limit.

Given that it's a Brother printer, good luck though. I tossed a 3820CN due to poor quality and the installed software simply would not uninstall. Never again...