PDA

View Full Version : iphone - iproblems for iusers

kenj
02-08-2007, 11:32 AM
http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/netw/320797130D324458CC25732A002F264A?opendocument&utm_source=topnews&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=topnews

With this news I would expect to see Apple's bottom line staying flat or declining from this point onwards.

Ooops, winmacguy, is that plagiarism???

Ken :rolleyes:

winmacguy
02-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Oh absolutely!:eek: :p

winmacguy
02-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Of course there is always the opinion of a research analyst

The Mobile Web Versus The Web On An iPhone: iPhone Wins In A Blowout
On June 29, 2007, Apple released the highly anticipated iPhone to the public. Forrester evaluated the iPhone's capabilities, and we believe that the iPhone signals the beginning of the end for the mobile Web as we know it today: Stripped-down sites crammed onto the small screens of devices meant for phoning, not browsing, will become a thing of the past. Companies looking to stay on top of this trend should get iPhones and experience their capabilities for themselves. Going forward, firms should continue to experiment with the mobile Web sites they own today in order to learn how to create content that is timely, location-aware, and actionable for users on the go.

http://www.forrester.com/Research/Document/Excerpt/0,7211,42929,00.html

Graham L
02-08-2007, 04:47 PM
How long have the things been on the market? The battery will last a year. Time to complain after the guarantee runs out. The buyers will have bought the next fashion phone by then. ;)

The lawyer's credentials are wonderful. He acted for people who bought a book on Oprah Winfrey's recomendation :confused: , then complained because bits of it were made up. :eek:

Doubtless he will be rounding up the Harry Potter fans who are sad when they find that the books are not true. That case should bring in a some lovely fees.

winmacguy
02-08-2007, 04:51 PM
Sounds very much like what happened with the iPod battery replacment saga. I am not sure what the big deal is with replacing the battery on your phone though, I still have the same phone that i bought about 3 or 4 years ago with the same battery in it and it works fine.:confused:

Billy T
02-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Headline News:

"Phone designed to whims of personality cult figure sees Jobs sinking under self-created pile of little jobs."

Over the top pricing, impractical keyboard, battery issues and other functional/design shortcomings will see sales taper off (even further) after the "just-gotta-have-it" Mac fanatics sate their lust for all things Jobby.

Very Clive Sinclair and/or Segway-ish.

Next Please.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

winmacguy
02-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Mac fanatics sate their lust for all things Jobby.

Don't forget all the Windows corporate users who have bought them. :)

kenj
02-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Headline News:

"Phone designed to whims of personality cult figure sees Jobs sinking under self-created pile of little jobs."

Over the top pricing, impractical keyboard, battery issues and other functional/design shortcomings will see sales taper off (even further) after the "just-gotta-have-it" Mac fanatics sate their lust for all things Jobby.

Next Please.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Aaah Billy... Clive Sinclair. Now there was a man of vision. Steve jobs could be a carbon copy as a gadget maker.

Ken

winmacguy
02-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Aaah Billy... Clive Sinclair. Now there was a man of vision. Steve jobs could be a carbon copy as a gadget maker.

Ken

Quite possibly, he does after all figure out what people will be using and how to make it simple to use before anyone else. Is Clive Sinclair a vegan hippie that likes to meditate and who once took a pilgrimage to India in search of a guru?

maccrazy
02-08-2007, 09:07 PM
It also alleges that users will have to pay that charge once every year, since the iPhone battery is rated for 300 recharging cycles.That article is incorrect, that battery is rated at 400 recharge cycles. It is unlikely you are going to fully discharge the battery everyday, so lets say you fully discharge it five days a week (which is still going to be more than most people will), that's 80 weeks, approximately a year and a half before the capacity will drop to 80% - which is still perfectly usable and probably will be for another year or so. Lower usage users will probably get more than three years out of the battery before it become unusable, at which time it will be time to buy a new phone anyway.

I don't know how many charge cycles a Nokia or Sony Ericsson normally gets out of a battery, perhaps kenj would care to post a link?

Metla
02-08-2007, 10:41 PM
Interesting, 2 years ago my phone cost $700, Aint no way in hell I will be replacing it within the next year.

And if I discovered replacing the battery required returning the phone I would return it for a refund immediately.

Why don't you just take a second to get real instead of always jumping to the defense of crap just because it apple branded.Are you so insecure about the crap you like that you have to dedicate your life to promotion and defense of poorly designed over priced crap?

R2x1
02-08-2007, 11:46 PM
Sounds very much like what happened with the iPod battery replacment saga. I am not sure what the big deal is with replacing the battery on your phone though, I still have the same phone that i bought about 3 or 4 years ago with the same battery in it and it works fine.:confused:
Sounds very much like it's not an iPhone.
Your membership fees in iFanz will be dearer after that leaks out.

motorbyclist
03-08-2007, 01:00 AM
Of course there is always the opinion of a research analyst

The Mobile Web Versus The Web On An iPhone: iPhone Wins In A Blowout
On June 29, 2007, Apple released the highly anticipated iPhone to the public. Forrester evaluated the iPhone's capabilities, and we believe that the iPhone signals the beginning of the end for the mobile Web as we know it today: Stripped-down sites crammed onto the small screens of devices meant for phoning, not browsing, will become a thing of the past. Companies looking to stay on top of this trend should get iPhones and experience their capabilities for themselves. Going forward, firms should continue to experiment with the mobile Web sites they own today in order to learn how to create content that is timely, location-aware, and actionable for users on the go.

http://www.forrester.com/Research/Document/Excerpt/0,7211,42929,00.html

and what has that got to do with the iphone battery? oh, and the nokia e70 browser is better than the iphone's too

beeswax34
03-08-2007, 01:04 AM
So are the HP iPAQ's:thumbs::D

motorbyclist
03-08-2007, 01:06 AM
but as for that battery, while i'm sure standard Li-ion technology is better than that, being good for >1500 charges and whatnot, and that for the price of the thing you'd better hope it's li-ion, i don't think it's a big deal:
so what if after two (lets be realistic here) or three years you need a new battery? the damn thing will be obsolete/unfashionable/lost/broken by then anyway!

but,
hold on, US$818000000 profit?!

i always thought that iProducts were expensive, but not THAT expensive!

then again, i shouldn't be surprised when iIdiots are willing to spend a small fortune on a crappy phone and then pay another US$108 while it gets it's bi-annual battery change

kenj
03-08-2007, 08:48 AM
I don't know how many charge cycles a Nokia or Sony Ericsson normally gets out of a battery, perhaps kenj would care to post a link?

Sorry winmacguy, I can't post a link on phones. I have one I carry for emergencies (health reasons) but use it very little. I think mine is a Nokia "El Cheapo"

Last month I only made 1 call plus 2 texts. No good asking me!

I just enjoy winding you up!!!!

Ken :lol:

motorbyclist
03-08-2007, 02:11 PM
lol, you quoted "maccrazy", not "winmacguy"

now i know they sound the same, but they are different people... i think; they could just be apple bots i suppose :lol:

winmacguy
03-08-2007, 02:20 PM
LOL:lol:

winmacguy
03-08-2007, 02:22 PM
Why don't you just take a second to get real instead of always jumping to the defense of crap just because it apple branded.Are you so insecure about the crap you like that you have to dedicate your life to promotion and defense of poorly designed over priced crap?

I believe maccrazy was just clarifying a few points that were incorrect in the article.

Metla
03-08-2007, 04:23 PM
I believe maccrazy was just clarifying a few points that were incorrect in the article.

Dang, I thought it was you. If I had noticed it was maccrazy I wouldn't have said anything.

winmacguy
03-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Dang, I thought it was you. If I had noticed it was maccrazy I wouldn't have said anything.

Maybe you should have read the preceding post properly.:)

Billy T
03-08-2007, 05:10 PM

now i know they sound the same, but they are different people... i think; they could just be apple bots i suppose :lol:

Nah, they are both i-dentical, joined at the i-hip and had their i-lobotomies at the same time. They are beyond hope i-fear. Der-i-ding i-products makes them i-rate because they i-dolise all things Job.

I-ronically the more they r-i-se to the i-bait the more i-deologically brainwashed they sound. Seriously i-dealistic and utterly divorced from reality.

Haven't got an original i-dea between them, the gospel according to Mr Less-than 5% market share is their B-i-ble.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :p

wratterus
03-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Bloody brilliant Billy! :lol: :D :lol:

winmacguy
03-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Haven't got an original i-dea between them, the gospel according to Mr Less-than 5% market share is their B-i-ble.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :p

You left out the 5% market share and a $120 Billion company bit there Billy. :)

motorbyclist
03-08-2007, 05:50 PM
at the price they charge 120 billion is no surprise

and didn't MS bail them out a while back?

winmacguy
03-08-2007, 05:58 PM
at the price they charge 120 billion is no surprise

and didn't MS bail them out a while back?

For those PF1 forum users with a very short memory for often repeated stuff:rolleyes: ; Microsoft invested $150 Million in Apple on Steve's return in 1997 (Steve set up the deal with Bill) in a deal which sorted out a few licensing rights between the two companies and also made IE for Mac the default browser until Safari came along. The shares did not carry any voting rights. Microsoft sold the shares in 2001 for a hefty return.
Have you checked out the profit margins on Windows or Office?

kenj
03-08-2007, 06:16 PM
For those PF1 forum users with a very short memory for often repeated stuff:rolleyes: ; Microsoft invested $150 Million in Apple on Steve's return in 1997 (Steve set up the deal with Bill) in a deal which sorted out a few licensing rights between the two companies and also made IE for Mac the default browser until Safari came along. The shares did not carry any voting rights. Microsoft sold the shares in 2001 for a hefty return.
Have you checked out the profit margins on Windows or Office?

Dang!!! Why is it that you think M$ are not very good at business.

When I think back, Bill Gates, before he started giving his money away, could have paid of our fine country's national debt of $97B

Not bad for a bloke that you think gets overtaken by Steve Jobs all the time?

"Wind, wind, wind" winmacguy

Ken :)

winmacguy
03-08-2007, 06:18 PM
I never said that they weren't good at business, I mentioned those two products because Microsoft has a tendency to charge up to 90% margin on them.( At least they did with Windows in the 90s)
For the record Bill gives away software not money and gets overtaken in the innovative ideas dept by Steve, Bill had a huge idea about 20 years ago to lisence his software to partners which is part of how he got so rich. Apple just started partnering up about 7 years ago.

kenj
03-08-2007, 06:47 PM
I never said that they weren't good at business, I mentioned those two products because Microsoft has a tendency to charge up to 90% margin on them.( At least they did with Windows in the 90s)
For the record Bill gives away software not money and gets overtaken in the innovative ideas dept by Steve, Bill had a huge idea about 20 years ago to lisence his software to partners which is part of how he got so rich. Apple just started partnering up about 7 years ago.

Are you saying that Apple are not as smart as M$?

winmacguy
03-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Are you saying that Apple are not as smart as M$?

Back then Bill was more business savvy that Steve, although now Microsoft is the one lacking the ideas and vision as Apple is continuing to expand into different areas with out having to spend untold billions on "research".
Microsoft has more than enough money in the bank to keep it going into the sunset although Apple is continuing to catch them having drawn level with HP in the last week or so.

kenj
03-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Back then Bill was more business savvy that Steve, although now Microsoft is the one lacking the ideas and vision as Apple is continuing to expand into different areas with out having to spend untold billions on "research".

Perhaps if they spent untold billions on research and got a better % of the market, we could then compare the 2 companies.

As it is now, they are chalk and cheese.

winmacguy
03-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Perhaps if they spent untold billions on research and got a better % of the market, we could then compare the 2 companies.

As it is now, they are chalk and cheese.

Back in 2001 Apple was worth about $14 Billion US
As of today they are worth $118 Billion so I don't think lack of spending on ideas is causing them a problem.
On the other hand for the last 7 or so years Microsoft has been worth around $300 Billion and they have been spending huges amounts on research including 9 billion on Vista which we are yet to be wowed by. The main difference between the two companies is that Microsoft went after the corporate market in the early days and did it very successfully. Steve refused to go after it then and still refuses since he only ever wanted a computer for the home user. A lot of people would argue that it is a crazy way of thinking and they would probably be right although the home user home entertainment market is starting to loom very large....;)

Apple is starting to make inroads into the US corporate market from a different angle with the iPhone as the computing environment adapts to being more online and more mobile.

Metla
03-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Who in their right mind would care?

MS have peaked, Nice, get over it. I can't see how it affects anyones day unless they happen to work for MS.

winmacguy
03-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Who in their right mind would care?

Financial analysts and investors.

motorbyclist
03-08-2007, 08:29 PM
I never said that they weren't good at business, I mentioned those two products because Microsoft has a tendency to charge up to 90% margin on them.

was i talking about microsoft which has to cover it's losses in other departments? no, i was talking about apple which rips off it's customers on every iproduct sold

winmacguy
03-08-2007, 08:39 PM
was i talking about microsoft which has to cover it's losses in other departments? no, i was talking about apple which rips off it's customers on every iproduct sold

Nobody is being forced to buy a product made buy Apple who doesn't seem to have any problems selling its products but the majority of computer users have to use Windows at work or home.

motorbyclist
03-08-2007, 08:56 PM
but weren't you raving on about how so many companies are giving employees a choice between the two?

and apple seems to be having trouble selling products to people "forced" to buy windows, or is apple convieniently not pursuing those markets?

winmacguy
03-08-2007, 09:26 PM
but weren't you raving on about how so many companies are giving employees a choice between the two?

and apple seems to be having trouble selling products to people "forced" to buy windows, or is apple convieniently not pursuing those markets?

Apple is not pursuing the corporate market with large discounts on hardware sales like the PC manufactures do. What I was referring to was the option that many large fortune 500 companies are doing whereby they give their new college grads the option of using a PC or a Mac as their desktop of choice. 2-3 years ago this was pretty much unheard of.
The decision by Apple not to pursue corporate markets comes directly from Steve Jobs who is only interested in the home user, science and design markets.

maccrazy
03-08-2007, 09:34 PM

now i know they sound the same, but they are different people... i think; they could just be apple bots i suppose :lol:Yes, we are different. I'm the old version. I have been superseded by a new bot called winmacguy who is 17 times more powerful - though wastes CPU cycles enticing Windows bots into battle every time the word Mac or Apple is used - and is quite possibly the real fake Steve Jobs.

Dang, I thought it was you. If I had noticed it was maccrazy I wouldn't have said anything.:eek: Metla, I'm touched. You are given. :p

winmacguy
03-08-2007, 09:38 PM
Yes, we are different. I'm the old version. I have been superseded by a new bot called winmacguy who is 17 times more powerful - though wastes CPU cycles enticing Windows bots into battle every time the word Mac or Apple is used - and is quite possibly the real fake Steve Jobs.

:p
The "real" Fake Steve Jobs does not live here.