PDA

View Full Version : ISP wanted for temporay dial-up access

Greg
02-08-2007, 09:42 AM
I'm going away from home for a while and instead of using my Xtra dial-up at $2.50 per hour I want to sign up for a month with an ISP for dial-up access - preferably unlimited, but a couple hundred hours should do. Any recommendations?

Thanks.

wratterus
02-08-2007, 09:50 AM
For one month? Definitley KOL (http://www.kol.co.nz/dialup.php). will cost you $9.95 total :lol: No early disconnection fees... :D Bearing in mind you'd have to use your xtra webmail cause xtra being the pigs they are don't let you download xtra mail using any other ISP... but you probably know that already.

pctek
02-08-2007, 10:20 AM
I have broadband with Xnet but occasionally I might need dialup to test connections and so on so I asked them how much it would cost me to have a dialup account as well.
Flat fee? Hourly fee?

Nope, nothing at all.

Greg
02-08-2007, 10:35 AM
For one month? Definitley KOL (http://www.kol.co.nz/dialup.php). will cost you $9.95 total :lol: No early disconnection fees... :D Bearing in mind you'd have to use your xtra webmail cause xtra being the pigs they are don't let you download xtra mail using any other ISP... but you probably know that already.Yup, and thanks - looks good.

AvonBill
02-08-2007, 11:53 AM
I have broadband with Xnet but occasionally I might need dialup to test connections and so on so I asked them how much it would cost me to have a dialup account as well.
Flat fee? Hourly fee?

Nope, nothing at all.

Slingshot also seem to provide a free dialup account with their broadband connections although they don't advertise it.

Bantu
02-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Ihug also seem to provide a free dialup account with their broadband connections although they don't advertise it. Handy if broadband goes down or your dsl modem dies.

Shortcircuit
03-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Xtra told me that I get a free dial-up with my plan.... however that was a very long time ago I signed up.

I know this for a fact because the dial-up never worked :D

May pay to actually ask Xtra before you fork out the dosh Greg.

PaulD
03-08-2007, 10:14 AM
The Xtra BB plans do have Dialup access @ $2.50/hr. No dosh forked out until you use it. They had to have an hourly rate to stop all the people on Go Large using dialup instead :D

Shortcircuit
03-08-2007, 10:25 AM
They had to have an hourly rate to stop all the people on Go Large using dialup instead :D :p

I'm sure they pay now for dial-up, but mine was (is?) free... we are going back to the days when BB was 1st available and they probably gave dial-ups for free in case someone at Telecom flicked the wrong switch and all the lights went out.

Greg may be the same (long in the tooth I mean) and could hold them to it if he has the same piece of paper I have :D

PaulD
03-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Be careful with that wording. The dial up access may be "free" as in no extra account fee but free as in no usage fee would be very unlikely. Early domestic BB wasn't that much faster than dial up and many people could download more on an unlimited dial up in a month. Even dial up plan users were charged hourly rate on a 2nd connection.

oc35
07-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Flat fee? Hourly fee?

Nope, nothing at all.

www.actrix.co.nz

$2/month & 1c per min

drcspy
07-08-2007, 09:08 AM
check it out but as far as I'm aware xtra only charge the $2.50 p/h if you dial up while you are ALSO ONLINE with your BB account......

Greg
07-08-2007, 12:55 PM
www.actrix.co.nz

$2/month & 1c per minToo expensive for a short term account (compared to some others).

Greg
07-08-2007, 12:56 PM
check it out but as far as I'm aware xtra only charge the $2.50 p/h if you dial up while you are ALSO ONLINE with your BB account......Nope - they charge the 2.50 per hour no matter what when you use it and aren't on another dialup plan, regardless of being on their domestic/small business adsl plans.