PDA

View Full Version : my internet is not working!

powerover
29-07-2007, 08:46 PM
recently my computer just don't want to go on the internet for me. i have tried everything i can but still can't figure out what is wrong with it.

things i have done:

1. checked all the cables are connected properly.
2. checked that the network adapter has the proper driver, i removed the old driver and put in the disk that came with it, and it automatically installed the correct driver.
3. checked that the network adapter is not broken, i actually bought a new network adapter from dicksmith.
4. disabled the firewall, because i got told that sometimes firewall will block.
5. use different web browser, i have tried firefox and the traditional internet browser.
6. i get my mate to bring in their laptop and plugged in the same network port, and it connects nicely.
7. tried right click on the connection icon and the following message box pops and say that:

the following steps of the repair operation failed:

renewing the ip address.

please contact your network administrator or isp.

after trying all that and it still won't work 4 me. :(

what is wrong with my computer? are there any setting i haven't check or any setting i have to do for it to connect 2 the internet again?

just any kind of help will be appreciated, thank you so much!

Speedy Gonzales
29-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Is the firewall Zonealarm??

Because, even if this is disabled, it can and will turn its proxy service off, and u guessed it, stop you from getting on the net / using a browser.

Jen
29-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Is your computer set to use DHCP rather than static IP? Did it stop working after you found/removed a virus or other malware?

What happens if you go Start > Run, and then enter in cmd. Then enter into the command window that appears:

ipconfig /release
[enter]
and then
ipconfig /renew
[enter]

developer
29-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Does your connection have the right network protocols and services (see properties of your connection)?

CYaBro
29-07-2007, 09:08 PM
If you plug your mates laptop back in check to see if it is getting network settings via DHCP.
If not copy the IP, Subnet, DNS and gateway settings to your machine, unplug the laptop and plug your machine back in (Important as IP address will be the same) and see if it works.
Try this step anyway as I have seen a problem like this before where the DHCP won't work but putting in a static IP works fine.

powerover
29-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Is your computer set to use DHCP rather than static IP? Did it stop working after you found/removed a virus or other malware?

What happens if you go Start > Run, and then enter in cmd. Then enter into the command window that appears:

ipconfig /release
[enter]
and then
ipconfig /renew
[enter]

thanks for your help i did what you told and the following appears on the screen:

an error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection 4: An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

what does that mean?
what should i do?

thanks for your help.

Speedy Gonzales
29-07-2007, 09:31 PM
It means this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817571)

powerover
29-07-2007, 09:32 PM

Because, even if this is disabled, it can and will turn its proxy service off, and u guessed it, stop you from getting on the net / using a browser.

no, my mate does not use Zonealarm, just to make sure that we did a search for the keyword Zonealarm on the computer and nothing come up.

wot should i do now?
thanks for the help.

Speedy Gonzales
29-07-2007, 09:34 PM
So what firewall, did you disable then? XP's??

Whats Local Area Connection 4 belong to in network connections?

powerover
29-07-2007, 09:34 PM

no my mate does not use Zonealarm, just to make sure we did a search on the computer using the Zonealarm as a keyword and nothing come up.

what should i do now?

thanks for the help.

powerover
29-07-2007, 09:35 PM
So what firewall, did you disable then? XP's??

yes it is windows XP firewall.

thanks.

powerover
29-07-2007, 10:07 PM
It means this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817571)

thank you so much! i clicked on the link and followed the instructions and now everything is fixed!

thank you so so so so much! :)

Speedy Gonzales
29-07-2007, 10:17 PM
No worries, good to hear its fixed ! :)

Sweep
29-07-2007, 10:22 PM
no my mate does not use Zonealarm, just to make sure we did a search on the computer using the Zonealarm as a keyword and nothing come up.

what should i do now?

thanks for the help.

I am pleased the problem is solved.

In the original you said this:-
recently my computer just don't want to go on the internet for me. i have tried everything i can but still can't figure out what is wrong with it.

But then I find it is not your computer. I think. Possibly. May be. Might be. Yours or belonging to a friend?

So I try to help. Therefore I go through previous posts and try to figure for you.

Jen
29-07-2007, 11:28 PM
But then I find it is not your computer. I think. Possibly. May be. Might be. Yours or belonging to a friend?

So I try to help. Therefore I go through previous posts and try to figure for you.What the ... :confused:

You reading the correct thread Sweep? No one else seemed to have a problem understanding it.

I thought powerover did a very good job in telling us what had already been tried and had obviously put a bit of effort into trying to solve it first. :)