PDA

View Full Version : No power to PC

07-03-2001, 08:07 PM
The button depresses, no glitter of lights or fans a-whirring ... so now I'm depressed.

The monitor power-light shows but nothing else. I understand that it's likely to be the power supply or motherboard - how does one tell? If not, what else could it be? ... If it is, then what's an average price I'd expect to pay for power supply or motherboard (intel 466) and of course a surge protector (yup, I didn't have one)...

Also, is it better or not, to turn the pc off at the wall after use?

08-03-2001, 10:35 AM
If you're lucky it's the power supply... if you shop around you can get one for about $40-50 ex gst and installation (which is neglible).

Also check the power socket itself by plugging the computer into another socket. You never know...

Does your monitor draw it's juice from the PC or does it plug into its own power socket? Most modern monitors don't use the pc power pack.

Take off the case and check for signs of life from the Hard Drive - even if the motherboard is dead you can usually hear them spin up, and there should also be an LED on them somwhere. No power there and it's probably your power pack.

Also check the power to the motherboard - a couple of plugs of about 8 wires in a line somewhere near the top of the board. If they have come loose you can try refastening them (careful, the plugs have a funny hook action to them)

Motherboard prices vary widely, but expect them to start at about $280 ex gst.

If you're prone to surges and spikes, and don't have a surge protector, then like any other device it would be good to switch it off at the wall. Modern PCs howeever continue to draw a small current when switched off, to help preserve the CMOS battery.

08-03-2001, 11:27 PM
You should be able to get a second hand PSU for about $5.

If not I sell you one if you pay the freght. scg@zfree.co.nz