PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Publishing Software

Grimy
25-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Hi, I'm looking for an upgrade/replacement to Publisher 2000. In readers experience would I be better off going for a dedicated desktop publishing app such as Broderbund's Printshop Pro Deluxe, or Microsoft Publisher 2007, or go the whole hog and try something like Coreldraw Graphics Suite X3? Is Corel overkill, or too difficult?
I am wanting to do stuff like flyers and brochures (that don't look too much like a standard template) and I have a son at high school who uses Publisher 2000 for school projects, which does the job, but is a bit limiting in what we can achieve. Thanks for your comments. Graham.

Bantu
25-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Corel is great if your doing more images than text, but if you want to do more text than images go with likes of Adobe Pagemaker, Adobe InDesign or Quark. All three are high end Desktop Publishing programs.

Corel is easier to learn than Pagemaker if you spend a bit of time with it. It is not user friendly for formatting text compared to MS Word or Pagemaker. You can type up text in MS Word and flow it into any of the programs though.

Serif’s Page Plus might be ok I don't know. It may be in line with Publisher.

somebody
25-07-2007, 09:48 PM
A lot of stuff you can do in Word (assuming you already have it). Otherwise if you want a semi-professional grade desktop publishing app, there's one called "Scribus" which is quite good. Has a bit of a learning curve, but is quite powerful.

winmacguy
25-07-2007, 10:56 PM
Going the whole hog would mean getting something like InDesign or Quark which would be worth it, it just depends of you want to stump up the cash. InDesign can be purchased independently as can Quark.
If your son is wanting to make a career out of desktop publishing at any stage I would recommend it. Also you wont suffer any design limitations. InDesign can be downloaded as a 30 day demo from Adobe.
Otherwise you could try one of the free opensource layout apps that are around.

Grimy
28-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the opinions and info. I take it no one thinks much of the "cheaper" desktop publishing options like Broderbund's Printshop Pro Deluxe?

plod
28-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the opinions and info. I take it no one thinks much of the "cheaper" desktop publishing options like Broderbund's Printshop Pro Deluxe?

I think a lot has to do with what you want your final results to be. Only to be seen on screen. to be printed out on the home printer. then publisher will be fine. But if your end result is to send it to a printer then forget about word(sorry somebody)word is word processor program not a publishing one. You might get away with publisher with some printers, but stick with the industry standards (quark, Adobe)

winmacguy
28-07-2007, 05:10 PM
I agree with Plod. :)