PDA

View Full Version : Brand spankin new PC

rob_on_guitar
25-07-2007, 03:42 PM
OK, It has been about 15 years since ive had a brand spankin new PC.

Is there anything i should remember while setting up?? With all the threats on the net, I feel quite nervous but excited at the same time.

It will be finished being built on friday ready for pick up so i thought id ask first.

i guess the guy will tell me anyway....

wratterus
25-07-2007, 03:48 PM
In the way of PC security, just make sure the first thing you do is install some good anti virus software (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=80962). Enjoy the new PC! :D

chiefnz
25-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Regular OS updates, decent malware and spyware protection, decent firewall and anti-virus protection. Regular defrags on your HDD.

I would also recommend a robust back-up process.... I do a back-up once a month... just to make sure I don't spend too much time re-installing the system when things do go wrong.

That's about it really. I'm sure there'll be other tips from the rest of the gang.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
25-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Just dont put Nortons, Mcafees, or Vista on it.

rob_on_guitar
25-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Just dont put Nortons, Mcafees, or Vista on it.

Yup, I never use norton or mcafee. it was Vista but got the guy to put XP pro in. Actually saved me a coupla bucks!

Woohoo! Cheers guys:thumbs:

Bantu
25-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Rob, give us the specs of your new machine. That might create some good debate/discussion/criticism etc.

GHOSTN
25-07-2007, 05:03 PM
sorry im noob
whats so bad about vista?
same with norton? didnt it get a good review in last months pcworld mag?
what antivirus is good then? and what does it cost

winmacguy
25-07-2007, 05:12 PM
sorry im noob

Apart from it being a bloated pig with more lipstick, most people seem to be opting to go for getting XP re installed so that they don't have to worry about any driver incompatibilities since everything works with XP.

wratterus
25-07-2007, 05:19 PM
sorry im noob
same with norton? didnt it get a good review in last months pcworld mag?
what antivirus is good then? and what does it cost

This (http://badvista.fsf.org/what-s-wrong-with-microsoft-windows-vista) and

this (http://www.castlecops.com/r391-Norton_AntiVirus_Pro.html) should answer your questions ;)

Avast and NOD32 seem to be the two to go with, according to popular opinion. The first, "Avast Home Edition" is free, NOD32 you pay for, but it gets cheaper each time you renew it. I think it starts at about $79 a year, and gets cheaper.

winmacguy
25-07-2007, 05:20 PM

Is there anything i should remember while setting up?? With all the threats on the net, I feel quite nervous but excited at the same time.

I never worried about any of that with my new machine.:) Just plugged it in and away I went. :thumbs:

Jan Birkeland
25-07-2007, 05:25 PM
not much reason to feel nervous tbh, just use common sense and get a good AV solution, Avast is a goodie.

and not that it will be an issue for you, but I haven't had many problems with Vista. Everything i want it to run, it runs just fine.

Speedy Gonzales
25-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Well actually u dont need a firewall or AV.

If you dont use P2P programs, (which causes most of the probs, with viruses / trojans etc), or go to dodgy sites, etc.

Or install software that installs crap / spyware / malware etc.

You'll be quite safe as long as Windows is up to date.

To check email or to save u going into OE or Outlook, you could use something like Poptray which will pick email up.

You'll see who the email is from. Then you've got an option to white/blacklist it. Or preview it /delete it.

Without opening OE or Outlook at all.

winmacguy
25-07-2007, 05:38 PM
I think a lot of the malware that used to come from dodgey virus containing emails have moved onto spoofed websites and p2p sites so the baddies are still out there but they have moved around a bit.

rob_on_guitar
25-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Here are they specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86GHZ 1066FSB 4MB CPU
2 x 512MB DDR2 667Mhz Memory 1GB Total in Dual Channel Mode.
320Gb SATA2 7200RPM High performance Hard Drive
19" Wide Screen LCD Monitor
Intergrated LAN-USB
Nvidia 8600GT 256MB DX10 Video card
Icute ATX case with side window big front intake fan 400watt P/S
Logitech Keyboard and optical mouse set.
Logitech X-230 2.1 Speaker set
8 in 1 Card reader
18X Dual Channel DVD Writer SATA
Hauppauge TV Tuner Card and remote
Vista Home premium OEM Installed
1 Year RTB warranty

But I got them to put in xp pro instead of vista and added extra 2 gig ram.

Main use will be post mixing on demos etc and the odd game play.

rob_on_guitar
25-07-2007, 06:57 PM
not much reason to feel nervous tbh, just use common sense and get a good AV solution, Avast is a goodie.

and not that it will be an issue for you, but I haven't had many problems with Vista. Everything i want it to run, it runs just fine.

I think Im just excited about getin a new pc, totally kick ass news in my books!:nerd:

pctek
25-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Intergrated LAN-USB
8 in 1 Card reader
1 Year RTB warranty

1 Year warranty??!!! How do they explain that?
The CPU is 3 years.
The KB, mouse is 2 years.
Depending on what brand bits you chose, the hard drive could be 3 - 5 years.
The graphics 1 - 3 years.
I could go on.

Total ripoff these places that say 1 year.

beeswax34
25-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Apart from it being a bloated pig with more lipstick, most people seem to be opting to go for getting XP re installed so that they don't have to worry about any driver incompatibilities since everything works with XP.

I am seriously tired of people slamming Vista. I mean how often do you work with it winmacguy? I'm getting around 6 hours a day with it and its been a pleasure to use. Sure it may not have the familiarity of XP and not everything works with it but its well on its way.

There are other programs that are Vista capable you know. I love XP too, don't get me wrong but unless you use it everyday, you have no right to tell people it is bad. Put another gig of RAM in OK? Cost you around $55. Jeez!

winmacguy
25-07-2007, 07:29 PM
I am seriously tired of people slamming Vista. I mean how often do you work with it winmacguy?

I don't and I am still waiting to see Microsofts "awesome" Vista sales figures from huge PC companies like Dell who have reverted to selling Linux and XP to try and boost their PC sales for 2007-08.

That would be Vista sales that are additional to what Microsoft has shipped as OEM to its PC resellers like Dell and HP- as in the copies of Vista that have remained in use on the PC after purchase.

I use a Mac (with XP in Parallels) so Vista is not required.

Agent_24
25-07-2007, 07:56 PM
I use XP every day and I really don't like Vista. It's not the fact that half of the programs you try to use don't run on it, it's the fact that it doesn't even run properly on itself.

As for AV I'm going to be interested in Comodo AVS 2.0, when it comes out of beta

GHOSTN
25-07-2007, 07:57 PM
sorry but wasnt somone saying that you cant run the 8series nvidia cards without xp or did i miss read? if i can run all of my hardware with xp pro i may aswell get it if vista is so crap and makes the comp slow

jermsie
25-07-2007, 07:59 PM

As I've said before, XP is quite enough for me. What's important is a tidy, organised workspace with plenty memory for everything to work in harmony. Dont need Harvey Norman and Microsoft telling me what I "should" buy. I havn't used the default XP shell (http://jerms.orcon.net.nz/files/mainstuff.jpg) in over a year, so aesthetics isnt a concern.

Minimal works for me :D

winmacguy
25-07-2007, 08:30 PM
I am seriously tired of people slamming Vista.

I'm not the only one beeswax34, have a read...
Acer: PC industry 'disappointed' with Vista
Despite the long wait between Windows XP and Vista, the latest operating system still lacks maturity, says Acer president
Acer president Gianfranco Lanci became the first major PC manufacturer to openly attack Microsoft over the Windows Vista operating system in the Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.

Lanci said the operating system was riddled with problems and gave users and businesses no reason to buy a new PC, according to the report. Taiwan-based Acer is the world's fourth-largest PC manufacturer, after HP, Dell and Lenovo.

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/1AAB634559F142DACC2573220017954F

Agent_24
25-07-2007, 08:37 PM
XP was Microsoft's best OS, Vista is a piece of junk that people are going to ignore until Blackcomb/Vienna/Windows 7 comes out, and which will probably kill microsoft windows off completely.

No wonder Gates is leaving the company...

winmacguy
25-07-2007, 08:39 PM
No wonder Gates is leaving the company...

I thought he was leaving for humanitarian reasons..:confused:

--Wolf--
25-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Hes not leaving....?

Agent_24
25-07-2007, 10:51 PM
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,126121-page,1/article.html

Jen
25-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Well actually u dont need a firewall or AV.:eek: :eek:

That probably explains why HJT logs are hardly seen around here ...

You don't have to deliberately visit dodgy website to have rubbish download or infect your PC. Simple internet searches can lead you to them before you realise you where you have landed at times.

Even if XP was fully patched, this does not make you immune from the nasty stuff out there constantly being released. :(

Agent_24
25-07-2007, 11:35 PM
A friend of mine had just reinstalled windows and was downloading updates for it (no AV at that point) and he got he blaster worm on it without even going anywhere except the windows update site.

I know MS patched that, but still, no AV or firewall... you're brave

dipstick01
26-07-2007, 12:16 AM
I don't and I am still waiting to see Microsofts "awesome" Vista sales figures from huge PC companies like Dell who have reverted to selling Linux and XP to try and boost their PC sales for 2007-08.

That would be Vista sales that are additional to what Microsoft has shipped as OEM to its PC resellers like Dell and HP- as in the copies of Vista that have remained in use on the PC after purchase.

lol I worked for Dell selling their machines 4 months ago. We had the XP option but the vast majority opted for Vista and still do. Please don't try and make it sound like everyone is moving back to XP as that would be lying. I sold 10 Vista machines to 1 XP.
They opted to offer XP as many customers were building machines to use for work and on work networks. Vista is not supported by most business's at the moment. In fact the majority of them have only just moved from a dos based system to XP in the last few years. Hence the XP offering NOT because of vista issues.

[/QUOTE]I use a Mac (with XP in Parallels) so Vista is not required.[/QUOTE]

so what makes you qualified to comment on Vista?? apart from playing with a demo lappy in harvey norman for 5 minutes.

dipstick01
26-07-2007, 12:18 AM
I'm not the only one beeswax34, have a read...
Acer: PC industry 'disappointed' with Vista
Despite the long wait between Windows XP and Vista, the latest operating system still lacks maturity, says Acer president
Acer president Gianfranco Lanci became the first major PC manufacturer to openly attack Microsoft over the Windows Vista operating system in the Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.

Lanci said the operating system was riddled with problems and gave users and businesses no reason to buy a new PC, according to the report. Taiwan-based Acer is the world's fourth-largest PC manufacturer, after HP, Dell and Lenovo.

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/1AAB634559F142DACC2573220017954F

lol, the only time I run into issues with laptops running Vista is the underpowered acer's and the rubbish software they pile on that duplicates what windows already does.

rob_on_guitar
26-07-2007, 09:55 AM
One more sleep:D

wratterus
26-07-2007, 09:59 AM
:lol: You sound like a kid on christmas eve!! :p

pctek
26-07-2007, 12:11 PM
I am seriously tired of people slamming Vista. I mean how often do you work with it winmacguy? I'm getting around 6 hours a day with it and its been a pleasure to use. !

Are you fixing issues with other peoples PCs? Or just playing with your own?
Cause I keep getting calls from people wanting XP installed on their Vista PCs due to the amount of headaches they've had with various things.

Its like ME, some people never had a problem. Most did.

rob_on_guitar
26-07-2007, 12:15 PM
:lol: You sound like a kid on christmas eve!! :p

Oh this is my christmas lol my birthday is on the 25th so I generally miss out hahaha

Pete O'Neil
26-07-2007, 01:00 PM
Are you fixing issues with other peoples PCs? Or just playing with your own?
Cause I keep getting calls from people wanting XP installed on their Vista PCs due to the amount of headaches they've had with various things.

Its like ME, some people never had a problem. Most did.
Thats cause people are idiots and don't have the patience to adapt to a new OS. They're ****wits if they expect Vista to be the same as XP.

Poppa John
26-07-2007, 01:09 PM

It will be finished being built on friday ready for pick up so i thought id ask first.

i guess the guy will tell me anyway....

If you haven't had a new computer in 15 years, what was the old one? A Commodore??? PJ :lol:

rob_on_guitar
26-07-2007, 01:58 PM
:lol: I did have one, but I just been buying 2nd hand ones of mates etc.
Man I cant wait. Roll on friday. Im geting a new guitar too! Weehoo!

rob_on_guitar
26-07-2007, 02:44 PM
Sorry for the double post, how would I grab some stuff off me old pc? I could use a pen drive I guess, would i be able to join the 2 pc's together and simple transfer data or is it more then that?

wratterus
26-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Has your old PC got a LAN port? And have you got a crossover ethernet cable?

Set up a simple network...

Failing that pull the HDD out of the old pc and put it in the new one as a slave, then copy off what you want.

msnforum
26-07-2007, 02:55 PM
If you know how to use windows xp then you should have no trouble using windows vista.

pctek
26-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Thats cause people are idiots and don't have the patience to adapt to a new OS.

Some people thought there would be drivers out for their shiny new bits that would work with Vista already.
Seeing as its not exactly yesterday it came out now.

Some people get annoyed with things like UAC too.
That makes them idiots?

Pete O'Neil
26-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Some people thought there would be drivers out for their shiny new bits that would work with Vista already.
Seeing as its not exactly yesterday it came out now.

Some people get annoyed with things like UAC too.
That makes them idiots?
Isn't exactly hard to Google "Disable UAC" the first link provides 4 different ways to disable it. The general population are idiots and give up too easy.

rob_on_guitar
26-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Has your old PC got a LAN port? And have you got a crossover ethernet cable?

Set up a simple network...

Failing that pull the HDD out of the old pc and put it in the new one as a slave, then copy off what you want.

Yup, it does have a LAN and i do have a cable. Why didnt i think of that (doh!) lol:lol:

beeswax34
26-07-2007, 04:15 PM
No, this is just for my own laptop. Tell you what, my parents started using the laptop on day one and found it extremely easy to use. They also liked the big icons and all the other ease of access tools built in. Just because you don't want to bother learning it, doesn't mean its bad.

Agent_24
26-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Isn't exactly hard to Google "Disable UAC" the first link provides 4 different ways to disable it. The general population are idiots and give up too easy.

Yeah except when you do, it bitches about it with a nice little tray icon and balloon popups everywhere.

--Wolf--
26-07-2007, 04:29 PM
He's not LEAVING, just changing his job within MS.

Agent_24
26-07-2007, 05:11 PM
He's leaving before Vista and Vienna take the whole company down with them

:D

ferrite
26-07-2007, 09:25 PM
if i was buying that rig first thing id do is look at that 400w power supply

mattv
26-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Yup, it does have a LAN and i do have a cable. Why didnt i think of that (doh!) lol:lol:

Without wanting to tell you how to suck eggs just make sure it is a crossover cable. If you use a normal cable you'll probably tear your hair out trying to make things work.:badpc:

Enjoy your machine. :thumbs: I am just a little bit jealous!

rob_on_guitar
27-07-2007, 09:57 AM
2 hours and 47mins to go.:stare:

Hi Matt, I just saved and saved. Been working extra shifts, as im pretty poor it took a long time!! but yea, yay at long last!

SolMiester
27-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Specs pls Rob?!

wratterus
27-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Here are they specs:

Intergrated LAN-USB
8 in 1 Card reader
1 Year RTB warranty

But I got them to put in xp pro instead of vista and added extra 2 gig ram.

Main use will be post mixing on demos etc and the odd game play.

.... ;)

SolMiester
27-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Not bad Rob, not bad at all......

rob_on_guitar
27-07-2007, 02:37 PM
1 Year warranty??!!! How do they explain that?
The CPU is 3 years.
The KB, mouse is 2 years.
Depending on what brand bits you chose, the hard drive could be 3 - 5 years.
The graphics 1 - 3 years.
I could go on.

Total ripoff these places that say 1 year.

all the individual components all have a 3 year warranty, I was a little concerned too at first.

But I am on top of the world!!!!!!! WooOOoOoOoOOHOoOooOOOooOOO!!!!!!!:D

I wish I could buy you all a beer or bourbon or just a coke or something. :thumbs:

Bantu
27-07-2007, 04:41 PM
Best of luck with it Rob, sounds like a good machine. Looks like you have done your homework on what you needed.

I guess next posting from you will be from the new PC:-)

rob_on_guitar
27-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Cheers Bantu, ,y previous post was from it:D Unfortunately Im back at work so it'll be 8 hours before i can jump on it:dogeye:

woOhOO!

Jen
27-07-2007, 05:54 PM
Awesome Rob. :D

Have you given your new PC a name yet? For networking purposes of course ... ;)

rob_on_guitar
27-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Her name is Chantel:nerd: he he he.... man everyone at work is "why is he so happy?" kinda thing:D