PDA

View Full Version : Linux File Server

aidanmaz
25-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Similar related my post the other day Windows or Linux http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=81250

i wanted to know what is the best distro for home file server. I have bout 480gbs of storage i want to use, (4 different size drives) and the data will be a mix of documents music and video. It doesnt need dns or dhcp. windows servers are just too bloated

cheers.

Erayd
25-07-2007, 10:55 AM
I would strongly recommend Debian Etch, if you are prepared to learn how to set it up. It's extremely stable, very customisable, and very fast.

If you want something a little easier, you can't beat SME Server. The downside of this distro is it's rpm-based (CentOS), but it's also pretty stable, and the config is incredibly easy - it's all done through a custom web interface (no, not webmin :rolleyes:). It's also designed as a server for a Windows-based network. It comes with most of the config work already done for you - last time I looked at it (7.0 Alpha 1 & 6.5 RC2) it was possible to get a completely configured system up and running in less than 25mins, including the time it takes to install.

Rob99
25-07-2007, 11:01 AM
I use Mepis now, have used ubuntu aswell in the past

TGoddard
25-07-2007, 11:21 AM
votes["Debian"] += 1 if user.smart?

aidanmaz
25-07-2007, 11:33 AM
haha define smart........(i can get ISA server working perfect on a DC without any issues)

Basic the FS is going to b headless and keyboardless (just a box, power cord and network cable, put somewhere so i cant hear it) its a P4 3.6ghz HT with 1024mb ram (yeah i cud type 1gb but 1024 looks bigger) after i install the OS i will remove the CD drive and add another hard disk. Obvously i know linux isnt Windows repackaged, and wil take a learning curve.

Sherman
25-07-2007, 12:01 PM
I have a similar setup (but MUCH older hardware!!) and I ended up using Debian Etch on it. I access it via SSH if I have to make any changes to its setup.

Erayd
25-07-2007, 12:10 PM
...its a P4 3.6ghz HT with 1024mb ram...This machine has waaaay more grunt than you'll need for a simple fileserver - are there other things you would also like to do with it?

Something like a MythTV backend machine springs to mind...

johnd
25-07-2007, 12:22 PM
In my experience I really don't think it matters too much! They all have the same engine (kernel). If i was being fussy I would probably choose CentOS since it is based on commercial Redhat.

Erayd
25-07-2007, 12:29 PM
In my experience I really don't think it matters too much! They all have the same engine (kernel).While they all have similar kernels, the above isn't quite true. Many distros, and Debian especially, apply a lot of custom patches to the kernel before compilation. Also remember that there's a LOT more to a distro than just the kernel.

If i was being fussy I would probably choose CentOS since it is based on commercial Redhat.Why? I will admit that CentOS is pretty good, but it also comes up short in a few areas. CentOS pretty much is RHEL, just with all the copyright graphics/branding removed.

aidanmaz
25-07-2007, 12:35 PM
This machine has waaaay more grunt than you'll need for a simple fileserver - are there other things you would also like to do with it?

Something like a MythTV backend machine springs to mind...

whats MythTV? i thought a terminal server but then i wud have to get licensing etc etc not really worth it for a home use. Il pretty much put anything on it, SQL maybe......i dont know, im open to ideas, as long as its challenging and gives me something to do.....

Erayd
25-07-2007, 12:44 PM
You said you were interested in a terminal server - why not have a go at setting up xdmcp? This is basically the Linux version of a terminal server. Yes, you can connect to it from Windows - just note that as it doesn't use rdp, you can't use remote desktop to connect to it. If you require a local X server, XMing (http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming) is brilliant.

MythTV is a Linux PVR package.

aidanmaz
25-07-2007, 01:04 PM
You said you were interested in a terminal server - why not have a go at setting up xdmcp? This is basically the Linux version of a terminal server. Yes, you can connect to it from Windows - just note that as it doesn't use rdp, you can't use remote desktop to connect to it. If you require a local X server, XMing (http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming) is brilliant.

MythTV is a Linux PVR package.

hmmmm xdmcp sounds interesting. i dont need a terminal server.....haha......is there a open source package like ISA?

aidanmaz
25-07-2007, 01:54 PM
i finally successfully installed Ubantu Server 7.0.4, how do i log in? it refuses to let me in. During setup i created an account with the user name Aidan (me obviously) i enter that in and the correct password i made, and it says : "login incorrect" help!

Shortcircuit
25-07-2007, 02:10 PM
How strange, I had the exact same problem with Suse... and I knew the password was correct from installing a few minutes before. Ended up being a reinstall was the easiest way after reading some of the workarounds.

Welcome to Linuxland :badpc:

Erayd
25-07-2007, 02:44 PM
hmmmm xdmcp sounds interesting. i dont need a terminal server.....haha......is there a open source package like ISA?Having never used ISA, I couldn't say for sure without a little more info. What do you want to use it for?

i finally successfully installed Ubantu Server 7.0.4, how do i log in? it refuses to let me in. During setup i created an account with the user name Aidan (me obviously) i enter that in and the correct password i made, and it says : "login incorrect" help!Usernames are case-sensitive, and if they're not lower-case they can cause problems. Did you try and set a username containing uppercase characters?

aidanmaz
25-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Having never used ISA, I couldn't say for sure without a little more info. What do you want to use it for?
Usernames are case-sensitive, and if they're not lower-case they can cause problems. Did you try and set a username containing uppercase characters?

no username and password al lower case: aidan and password: linux (not connected to net so it safe) btw ISA is a firewall and caching server

Erayd
25-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Use iptables (firewall) and squid (caching proxy). Both are excellent.

racepics
25-07-2007, 04:51 PM
i finally successfully installed Ubantu Server 7.0.4, how do i log in? it refuses to let me in. During setup i created an account with the user name Aidan (me obviously) i enter that in and the correct password i made, and it says : "login incorrect" help!

I had that once - turns out I must have "fat-fingered" my password ( twice ) and it wasnt what I thought it was - a quick reinstall is the most painless cure.

Ubuntu server is gui-less so your will need to apt-get install gnome-desktop (or the gui of your choice ) if you want to point-n-click

I'm using a kubuntu powered file server ( out in the shed because of the noise of 4x 80mm fans ) it has 4 different ide drives all shared to the LAN via samba - works a treat.

aidanmaz
25-07-2007, 07:10 PM
a reinstall ends up halting again at 85% i went off and had dinner when i came back no change. maybe i shud stick with windows......it works to an extent

racepics
25-07-2007, 11:25 PM
a reinstall ends up halting again at 85% i went off and had dinner when i came back no change. maybe i shud stick with windows......it works to an extent

Is it possible your install cd is defective?
If you have a plain Ubuntu 7.04 desktop CD you can install the LAMP stack and turn it into the server version by doing sudo tasksel install lamp-server
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP

Mamaz
26-07-2007, 01:26 AM
If you like something like ISA and would also like a file server.. I would suggest Fedora Core (what is it up to now 7?). Install Squid as a caching proxy or if you have windows servers you can even integrate it with active directory for group/user based filtering (just to make things interesting).

I did the above as a project and I am a total windows user.. dived into linux head first.. picked up fedora stuck to some linux magazine.. it was FC5 i think.. kept me occupied for a few months.. as in order to get Squid integrated with active directory authentication i needed SAMBA and NTLM..you will need SAMBA as well if you plan on implementing a file server which will be accessed by windows clients. As for the distribution.. a lot of ppl have told me that ubuntu is the way to go.. but i guess i just couldn't wait around for the download.. so i went with fedora..

Erayd
26-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Fedora is good, although I recommend disabling automatic updates unless you're reasonably knowledgable about how the system works (so you can fix it) - in my experience of running Fedora servers, they occasionally release an update that breaks things rather severely.

The last straw was an update that completely nuked my dovecot (imap server) configuration - after that I switched all my servers to Debian, and I've never had a problem since.