PDA

View Full Version : MPG4 player that will work on win98se?

Zoober
24-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Any one know of a MPG4 player that will work on win98se?

I would like to view the Chandra X-Ray observatory videos included on the July 2007 PC World DVD.
These are in MPG4 format. Quicktime 7 is suggested in the intro text but I don't know if it will work on win98se

I tried WMP9 but it cannot seem to play MPG4.

I searched the forums but did not see anything helpful.

My system - P3 866 win98se

cheers zoob

winmacguy
24-07-2007, 09:16 PM
My guess would be that Win98se is way too old and considering that MS no longer supports it you might be better off moving to Win2k

winmacguy
24-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Being that MPG4 is the latest MPG codec and Win98SE is no longer supported by MS, I would say you would be out of luck.

zqwerty
24-07-2007, 09:50 PM
I don't know but you could try this:

Windows 95/98/Me users: Please note that these versions of Windows are not officially supported. No VideoLAN developer uses any of these systems, which makes them hard to support. VLC should mostly work with them, but some incompatibilities might appear. You might need to download The Microsoft Layer for Unicode on Windows 95/98/Me Systems. The two MSLU files need to be put in the C:\Windows\System\ folder.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

tweak'e
25-07-2007, 09:37 AM
its not so much the player but the codecs.

zoomplayer i think still works on 98se. for codecs ffdshow might still work.

Morgenmuffel
25-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Would this be of use (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/forpros/format/codecdownload.aspx)

Seems to include the MPeg4 codec and has a package for windows 98

it has versions 1,2,3 of the Mpeg4 codec, so it should work

Zoober
27-07-2007, 09:36 PM
Appreciate all the suggestions above.

To Nigel. I downloaded and installed the codec package you suggested. Unfortunately WMP9 still won't play a .m4v file. Thanks for your help anyway.

I know win98se is ancient but it does do everything I need (except play mpg4's). It also seems to load and run a lot faster than the Vista machines I have seen in various computer stores.

Guess I will finally have to have a go with Linux.

Which Linux has a player that can handle mpg4 files?

regards Zoob

tweak'e
27-07-2007, 10:07 PM
http://sourceforge.net/project/platformdownload.php?group_id=53761

Myth
27-07-2007, 11:04 PM
My guess would be that Win98se is way too old and considering that MS no longer supports it you might be better off moving to Win2k

Being that MPG4 is the latest MPG codec and Win98SE is no longer supported by MS, I would say you would be out of luck.Stick to handing out crAPPLE advice

Zoober, check this out (http://xvid-media-codec.en.softonic.com/), it may be what you are looking for :)

And for the record, there is absolutely nothing wrong with 98, just that MS has made a decision to no longer support it. You can look at Linux, but don't ditch 98 if it does what you want

Chilling_Silence
28-07-2007, 02:05 AM
Most Distro's will allow you to install a myriad of players:
gmplayer (mplayer), vlc (videolan client), xine (kaffeine), gstreamer.. just to start with a few ;)
Most of those should be able to play MPEG-4 files

In terms of simplicity, stick with VideoLAN Client on Win98 :) You'll have to download an additional file / patch IIRC, but have a browse around the videolan.org website, all the info you need is there!

winmacguy
28-07-2007, 05:41 AM
And for the record, there is absolutely nothing wrong with 98, just that MS has made a decision to no longer support it. You can look at Linux, but don't ditch 98 if it does what you want

If it doesn't play mp4 files then it doesn't do everything the poster wants.:rolleyes:

Myth
28-07-2007, 07:14 AM
If it doesn't play mp4 files then it doesn't do everything the poster wants.:rolleyes:Since MPEG-4 (.mp4) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14) is a DivX container, I don't see why it shouldn't. My link was to a DivX codec that is supported on Win98 and SHOULD allow the poster to play .mp4 (MPEG-4) using Windows Media Player

tweak'e
28-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Since MPEG-4 (.mp4) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14) is a DivX container, I don't see why it shouldn't. My link was to a DivX codec that is supported on Win98 and SHOULD allow the poster to play .mp4 (MPEG-4) using Windows Media Player

exactly. it fully depends entirely on what codec that was used to encoode it with. even the MS mpeg4 codec dosn't always read the other mpeg4 codecs. the divx or xvid often do most. ffdshow will do just about all.

Bonez
28-07-2007, 04:23 PM

Fine advice indeed.

winmacguy
28-07-2007, 05:53 PM
98se is probably ok if you just want to use Word, the web and not much else.

sal
28-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Either go with ffdshow (http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm) which is a very reputable and recommended codec that should enable WMP9 to play back the mp4 files you wish to play, or use a stand-alone player such as VLC media player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) or GOM Player (http://www.gomplayer.com/main.html), although I recommend VLC. These will play back the video files using their own built-in codec support, without relying on your systems codecs.

Myth
28-07-2007, 06:31 PM
98se is probably ok if you just want to use Word, the web and not much else.And this point-of-view is based on what exactly?

winmacguy
28-07-2007, 06:32 PM
General ease of use with a lot of modern peripherals that doesn't require searching the web for compatible drivers.

Myth
28-07-2007, 07:49 PM
General ease of use with a lot of modern peripherals that doesn't require searching the web for compatible drivers.Lol, thats rather funny, coming from a MAC user (where drivers are almost as hard to find as Linux, but by a long shot harder to find than drivers for Windows 98

winmacguy
28-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Not sure of your experience with Macs, but I have never had that problem myself Myth. All the stuff I have at home just plugs in. :)

Bonez
28-07-2007, 08:02 PM
98se is probably ok if you just want to use Word, the web and not much else.
Just out of interest, why do you need XP on your MAC?

winmacguy
28-07-2007, 08:09 PM
It was the first version of Windows I ever owned back in:eek: 1998 (well Win98 to be exact) My dad had Win98se up until he upgraded to Win2k just recently.

I ditched Win98 for XP back in about 2003 and had XP until I got my iMac with 10.4 a few months back (got a copy of XP Pro on Parallels)

No complaints with OS X 10.4
I started using Macs back in 2000 with 9.2.2 (Classic) and moved up to 10.2 (Jaguar) in about 2002 for work.

winmacguy
28-07-2007, 08:12 PM
When I first got my iMac I only had my PC version of Adobe InDesign, Photoshop etc which I was still using, so I needed XP Pro to run it until I could afford to grade to CS3.

XP Pro is still handy of you want to test PC only versions of things or watch stuff on web sites that seem to insist on doing stuff that is Windows only. I do have WMV player for Mac installed.

Bonez
28-07-2007, 08:17 PM
web sites that seem to insist on doing stuff that is Windows only. So the MAC isn't really a suitable OS for surfing the internet then ;) , but Windows 98 is........................

winmacguy
28-07-2007, 08:25 PM
The Mac is very suitable and secure for surfing on the net, I mainly use FF but could use Safari if I wanted to or preferred it. Microsoft just seems to have a warped understanding of what browser "choice" actually means.
I was testing out the Windows version of Safari - in Windows. Unfortunately Microsoft seems to be overly worried about loosing market share for some strange reason which is why the BBC's new iPlayer site is Windows only.

Bonez
28-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Microsoft seems to be overly worried about loosing market share for some strange reason which is why the BBC's new iPlayer site is Windows only.Surely BBC is the culprit for not setting it up as cross-platform? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intergrated_Media_Player

winmacguy
28-07-2007, 08:49 PM
I would say they would be, but it did take the BBC and Microsoft to do it. It is a bit ironic really considering that the BBC has made a whole lot of stuff available on line in the QT format that has actually been produced in house using FCP on Macs.

winmacguy
28-07-2007, 08:54 PM
FCP in action.
http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/action/?movie=nab

rumpty
28-07-2007, 09:15 PM

cheers zoob

Yes, I tried WMP6.4 in W98SE using a .mpg file downloaded from that site, and it worked fine. I have installed an updated codec package from the Microsoft web page though, so that may have made it possible.

Zoober
28-07-2007, 09:23 PM
Ooooops! Sorry I stated that I am happy with win98se for most things. I did not intend to start a PC or O/S war.

So getting back to my original post:
I note that the video files on the July PC World DVD have a .m4v extension (not .mp4).

e.g. Supernovas_When_Stars_Die.m4v

Does this mean that a different codec may be required?

Zoob

Bonez
28-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Ooooops! Sorry I stated that I am happy with win98se for most things. I did not intend to start a PC or O/S war.
Just freindly banter. I for one was trolling ;) This box has Windows 98 orig on it btw.

Oh found this comment about m4vs-
".m4v files are raw mpeg-4 part2 video streams (not h.264). you can place them in .mp4 with mp4bx (yamb gui) for example
after that you can play them in mplayer, videolan or in any directshow player (eg wmp) after installing the haali media splitter + ffdshow for example...

however there is another possibility: if these files were created by a braindead apple tool, they are already .mp4 files with the wrong extension
yeah apple loves to do braindead things"

winmacguy
28-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Just freindly banter. I for one was trolling ;)

however there is another possibility: if these files were created by a braindead apple tool, they are already .mp4 files with the wrong extension

Only from a windows perspective.:waughh:

Bonez
28-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Only from a windows perspective.:waughh:
Seems the fishing is fine tonight. Full moon?

winmacguy
28-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Apparently so. I was going to come up with some windoz comments but can't be bothered dropping to that level.
YouTube seems to think pretty highly of the h.264 codec as they have replaced the Adobe Flash with h.264 and re encoded all existing uploded videos to h.264.

Bonez
28-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Apparently so. I was going to come up with some windoz comments but can't be bothered dropping to that level.
YouTube seems to think pretty highly of the h.264 codec as they have replaced the Adobe Flash with h.264 and re encoded all existing uploded videos to h.264.Isn't google a wonderfull tool-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264

winmacguy
28-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Isn't google a wonderfull tool-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264

I don't know, I didn't get my info from Google, although I do have about 40+ tech based RSS news feeds in FF. ;)
Apple and Google are in partnership
Google owns/bought YouTube
Apple did deal with YouTube to use h.264 for its HD codec in order to spread the use of it around the web and to limit the uptake of Adobe Flash.
Eric Schmidt (Google) sits on Apple's board of Directors.

Myth
28-07-2007, 10:27 PM

Only from a windows perspective.:waughh:Actually according to this page (http://all-streaming-media.com/streaming-media-faq/faq-mp4-streaming.htm) Bonez is quite correct
MP4 file extensions
MP4 files can have the following extensions:
.mp4 - official extension
.m4v - .mp4 files with the WRONG extension introduced by Apple for video+audio files, .m4v can be safely renamed to .mp4 (.m4v is used in Apple iTunes and iPod)
.m4a - .mp4 files with the WRONG extension introduced by Apple for audio-only files, .m4a can safely be renamed to .mp4
.m4p - used by Apple iTunes for DRM protected files
.m4e - renamed .sdp files used by Envivio for streaming
.m4v, .mp4v, .cmp, .divx, .xvid, .264 - normally raw mpeg-4 video streams (not inside MP4)
.3gp, .3g2 - used by mobile phones, can also include content not defined for .mp4 (H.263, AMR)

Seems the fishing is fine tonight. Full moon?ROTFL, nicely hooked :thumbs:

winmacguy
28-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Fair enough although Apple would probably have a reason for what they do being that my understanding is that the mp4 codec that Apple uses is based on open standards unlike .wma

Personally, as long as it works, I'm happy. :)

Bonez
28-07-2007, 10:47 PM
That quote I pasted was from Nov 2005. Have a good night guys n gals.

Zoober
29-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Whooooooo Hoooooooo!

I changed the file extension from .m4v --> .mp4 as suggested by Bonez and Myth.

WMP9 actually played it!

I then tried out the VideoLan VLC media player 0.8.6c as suggested by zqwerty.

It works like a charm. Much more user friendly than WMP9.

Think I will dump WMP9 and stay with VLC.

Many thanks to all who responded with suggestions.

There is life in the old dog yet (win98se)

Zoob

Myth
29-07-2007, 05:13 PM
There is life in the old dog yet (win98se)

ZoobThere will always be life in that ol dog :p

Glad you got it sorted :thumbs:

zqwerty
29-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Yes, I look after a Win98SE computer, dialup, upgraded as far as it can be to the latest from MS, used very often by kids on BeBo etc, email, no firewall (scary) but does not have much ram, 64Meg, so far no problems for more than a year. They do use Opera browser all the time. Has AdAware, SpyBot, SpyWareBlaster.

I scan it fairly often for malware etc.