PDA

View Full Version : Ghost or Acronis True Image?

Krad
24-07-2007, 06:27 PM
I have Ghost 2003 and want to know if it will work on an Athlon 4000 (pin 939) with XP Home Edition to clone HDD image to DVD.
If it won't I thought I'd buy Acronis True Image 10 which gets good reviews.
Any suggestions would be welcome.

pctek
24-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Neither cares what CPU you have.
Ghost 2003 does not work with sata2 drives.

Acronis, well, last week I would have said how marvellous it is, but again there are some issues with sata2. I contacted them and they went on about drivers being lacking as the boot CD runs off Linux.

I fail to see what that had to do with it, Windows can install off a boot CD.

But Acronis mostly works with sata2.

chiefnz
24-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Acronis True Image :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I've had some bad experiences with Ghost... all the times I've used it I couldn't boot back into Windows...

Ever since then I've been using Acronis True Image 9... definitely worth the money spent.

Cheers

drcspy
24-07-2007, 08:04 PM
I've had some bad experiences with Ghost... all the times I've used it I couldn't boot back into Windows...

errrrrrrrr........really ?........I've long ago lost count of the number of ghost images i've created or ghosted drives i've had to do........i've NEVER had troubles bootin to a drive which i've written a ghost image or directly ghosted another drive to......dunno what the hell you are/were doing wrong but ghost is very simple to use.......

I must admit tho ONE time ghost kept throwing up errors on a particular dying drive and in desperation I used acronis after trying several other programs......acronis did the job ...however because i'm very familiar with ghost my ghost boot cd is usually the first one I reach for....

bk T
24-07-2007, 10:00 PM
Had a few nasty experiences with Ghost 2003 - it just hang at the DOS Ghost screen and refuses to go further; then messed up the partitions.

But if it goes beyond this point, it works brilliantly. Acronis T I , so far so good, have not yet experienced any problems with it.

gibler
24-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Hmm I've never used Ghost 2003 with SATA-2 drives as such. With some new Dells at work I change SATA mode to legacy .. mainly since I haven't bothered to add any drivers for the SATA dvd drive it boots off.

Acronis TrueImage seems not be be really robust last time I used it. I kept ending up with corrupt images. I'm also somewhat put off how Acronis update their products and cause some basic features then to break. It does have a nice GUI for people to use though..

Fishb8
25-07-2007, 02:42 AM
Hi Krad - When you say clone, in Acronis, that means you lift your os onto your medium and are left with an empty HD. You must mean to create a an image and save to DVD.
I know all about this. Never read the instructions and cloned my XP Pro to an external hd. Ended with an empty hd and had to re-install my XP upgrade using my Win98 disc, too.
Acronis works well but take some time to read the instructions. They have a good help forum with some excellent guides.

drcspy
25-07-2007, 04:25 AM
ok that rang a bell.........the only thing I never do, (after one bad experience) is to 'mark drives as usable with ghost' .....it's not necessary

ONE time when I was a 'new' ghost user I did that and something stuffed up cant remember the detail now but it wasn't good......so i never do that anymore yet it seems unnecessary anyway.....

pctek
25-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Hi Krad - When you say clone, in Acronis, that means you lift your os onto your medium and are left with an empty HD.
I know all about this. Never read the instructions and cloned my XP Pro to an external hd. Ended with an empty hd and had to re-install my XP upgrade using my Win98 disc, too.

Cloning duplicates one drive to another.

It does not wipe the original.

wratterus
25-07-2007, 09:21 AM
I have used Ghost hundreds of times, and it has never failed. no problems with any kind of Sata drives or controllers as yet. The only times it doesn't work is if the HDD I am trying to Ghost from is so wasted nothing can read it. I have never had it render a drive un-bootable.

The first time I tried Acronis 10, (loved the UI though compared to Ghost) it copied to the new HDD find but rendered the old HDD unbootable. Messed something up, and I had to fdisk the old drive to get it back in working order. I'm sure the programs are as good as each other, but as I had a bad experience with Acronis, i'm sticking with and would recommend Ghost. :cool:

Krad
25-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Hi Krad - When you say clone, in Acronis, that means you lift your os onto your medium and are left with an empty HD. You must mean to create a an image and save to DVD.
Acronis works well but take some time to read the instructions. They have a good help forum with some excellent guides.

Thanks for that. You are right - I did mean to create an image and save to DVD. I have done more research and found that Seagate provides Max Blast 5 and Disc Wizard for doing the same things as Acronis. I'll download them and give them a try before buying True Image 10.