PDA

View Full Version : ntldr error,I can fix it but what causes it.

john r
23-07-2007, 09:29 PM
I have a PC that stops the boot at a error message ntldr is missing press Ctl Alt Del to restart,
If I do the Ctl Alt Del it returns the same message.
I can fix it by reloading the files but after fixing it some time in the next few weeks it reoccurs.
I have tested the hard drive (samsung SP1614N)with no errors,the motherboard is a ECS 648FX-A2 with 2.4 intel CPU,512mb of RAM and Win XP Pro operating system.
I built this PC in 2005 and it has been runing fine till now.

any help thanks,
John.

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Follow this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320397)

john r
24-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Thank you speedy it is what I was looking for I will contact MS.

Do you think a repair install would do the same thing,

Cheers,
John.

pctek
24-07-2007, 11:25 AM
hard drive (samsung SP1614N)
motherboard is a ECS

There you go.
:yuck:

wratterus
24-07-2007, 11:40 AM
There you go.
:yuck:

Have you had bad experiences with samsung drives?:badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Have you had bad experiences with samsung drives?:badpc:

I have. I've got a SV2001h here a 20 GB. Just removed it from the other PC here.

Had nothing but trouble with it. In the last week, win32k.sys started crashing then usbport.sys (and other files to do with USB). And nearly every 2nd day the system crashed.

And when win32k.sys crashed you could actually hear something shutting down like you were pulling a plug out, (most probably the hdd).

And it was slow as hell (5400). I replaced it with a Seagate 80 GB (7200). I had in this case.

Hasnt crashed so far, and noticed the boot up speed difference.

With the Samsung I had to wait for the taskbar icons to finish coming up, before I could actually do anything else.

wratterus
24-07-2007, 02:55 PM
I would never buy a Samsung, Seagate all the way. But in saying that, I have had a lot more problems with WD, Maxtor and Hitachi drives than with Samsung.

Thats the way the cookie crumbles.:o

Graham L
24-07-2007, 02:55 PM
I suspect that pctek may have once "fixed" this problem by replacing a hard disk and installing Windows on it. Like many PC "fixes" I've seen, that doesn't fix the problem. A clean new installation will avoid the problem. The problem might not recur.

But it's a Microsoft SOFTWARE problem. It's probably an unexpected result of a Microsoft "fix" of the very old problem of a fixed number of files allowed in the root directory of a FAT disk. (We've seen this one here a few times: people "losing" files written to a USB memory stick. The real fix is to create a subdirectory and write the files to that). MS made the appropriate "fix" in NTFS ... allow extra directory segments if the root directory gets too big. That will work and cause no problems in most cases. It falls over only if the NTLDR file is not in the first segment. As MS say, that should never happen. ;) The boot process doesn't know about extra directory segments. So it can't find NTLDR.