PDA

View Full Version : Where did the "Wow" go Bill?

winmacguy
23-07-2007, 06:23 PM
It would appear that the PC masses have spoken as to which Windows OS they prefer and it sure ain't Vista.:eek:
Microsoft sees stronger XP sales in FY08
Microsoft has said that it expects Windows XP, the operating system supposedly made moot by Windows Vista, to make up a significantly larger part of sales in the coming year.
http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/feature/C0AEA94948506FB6CC257320007211E5
I guess the proof is in the pudding wouldn't you say?:2cents:

qazwsxokmijn
23-07-2007, 06:38 PM
I say people are just being negative and pessimistic towards Vista.

It's all in the feelings, I say.

winmacguy
23-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Or maybe people really are just satisfied with XP and have realised that Vista is just a bloated version of XP with more lipstick that requires more expensive hardware to run it properly to the same stuff that XP already did.

pcuser42
23-07-2007, 06:44 PM
Where did the Wow go?

Here. (www.windowsvista.co.nz)

jermsie
23-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Or maybe people really are just satisfied with XP and have realised that Vista is just a bloated version of XP with more lipstick that requires more expensive hardware to run it properly to the same stuff that XP already did.

I'm satisfied with XP. It does pretty much everything I need it to so I don't feel the need to go spend a few hundred on a new OS just because the advertising is telling me to.

beeswax34
23-07-2007, 06:54 PM
You still have to realize that both XP and Vista are Microsoft products. In the end, they win and Apple.... well....:D

winmacguy
23-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Where did the Wow go?

Here. (www.windowsvista.co.nz)

It is obviously taking more than a glossy web page to convince people to part with their cash.

winmacguy
23-07-2007, 07:05 PM
You still have to realize that both XP and Vista are Microsoft products. In the end, they win and Apple.... well....:D

They "win" but not as much as they budgeted on. As for Apple, they are growing by about 35% a year which is about twice the industry average. I will post the results on the 26th. :)

personthingy
23-07-2007, 07:17 PM
They "win" but not as much as they budgeted on. As for Apple, they are growing by about 35% a year. I will post the results on the 26th. :)Part of the problem is that apart from having billys pic on it, the page, the advertising sounds exactly like the promises that we got as we installed win98.... I just don't believe it any more!
Not that i use windows at all, i just fix it for people! :)

Digby
23-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Yes I'm still on XP Home and need to be convinced there are any advantages to moving to Vista aside from pretty looks. I am not a gamer so do not need direct X something.

regards

Digby

personthingy
23-07-2007, 07:40 PM
Yes I'm still on XP Home and need to be convinced there are any advantages to moving to Vista aside from pretty looks. I am not a gamer so do not need direct X something.

regards

Digbytee hee.. we got direct x in linux world now....
:)

Erayd
23-07-2007, 08:40 PM
Last time I looked wine didn't have a full implementation of the DirectX API, and the 'proper' (MS) DirectX refused to install properly.

Links?

Shortcircuit
23-07-2007, 08:50 PM
Gee, I've just been reading an article on US Computerworld saying that Mac OSX (10?) online presence has stagnated while Windows Vista is growing at a reasonable percentage. They seem to be saying that 'web usage' of an OS is a good independant verification of general uptake.

Or maybe Mac users haven't got the hang of the net yet?

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9027558&intsrc=hm_list

After getting a Vista laptop I would find it hard to justify a move from XPpro to Vista on my desktop.... but then there's Linux :)

winmacguy
23-07-2007, 08:51 PM
I think you might be waiting a while Digby.

personthingy
23-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Last time I looked wine didn't have a full implementation of the DirectX API, and the 'proper' (MS) DirectX refused to install properly.

Links?i have to admit spreading wild rumours and speculation, well at least secondhand information...........

I've send a robot out to find the source of these rumours, and provide substance, or abolish them.

winmacguy
23-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Gee, I've just been reading an article on US Computerworld saying that Mac OSX (10?) online presence has stagnated while Windows Vista is growing at a reasonable percentage. They seem to be saying that 'web usage' of an OS is a good independant verification of general uptake.

Or maybe Mac users haven't got the hang of the net yet?

Yes OS X is OS 10. The "X" is for both ten in Roman numerals and the X of Unix.
We Mac users have had the "hang" of the net for quite some time:p I think it is more of a case of a lot of commercial places holding off till Leopard is released in October since either 10.3 (Panther) or 10.4(Tiger- which I have) are both pretty good.
There has also been a lot of attention focused on the iPhone since January. Apple's stock price has actually be climbing steadily the whole time.
I would also expect Vista's use to climb somewhat as Microsoft has 500+ million users.. at a guess.

PedalSlammer
23-07-2007, 09:16 PM
:D Win XP serve me well in years, sometimes Win 2000 really rocks but can't run certain programs on it. Oh well, I might run Vista if I needed for training if I want.

beeswax34
23-07-2007, 09:31 PM
Still, Apple got a long way to go winmacguy. Remember, 35% more of nothing still = nothing:D

winmacguy
23-07-2007, 09:34 PM
That would be 35% of $124 Billion US
It is just their market share that is around 6%:D
Microsoft has been sitting around $280-300 Billion for the last 7 years with no upward movement.

Hitech
23-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Warning to all vista users do NOT I repeat do NOT hold down the windows key and the E key at the same time this apparently crashes vista and windows just continue to flood open a guy at work did this and he had to reformat his pc again to run vista again.

winmacguy
23-07-2007, 10:01 PM
Warning to all vista users do NOT I repeat do NOT hold down the windows key and the E key at the same time this apparently crashes vista and windows just continue to flood open a guy at work did this and he had to reformat his pc again to run vista again.

Bummer eh:rolleyes:

Hitech
23-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Its a bug but MS will fix it in service pack1 when it comes out.

I look at it this way why would somone go out buy a two or three thousand dollar pc bring it home and press those keys,Now that would really be a dumb thing to do but i bet people do it just to prove it to them selves.

PedalSlammer
23-07-2007, 10:08 PM
Delete. Double posted.

PedalSlammer
23-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Warning to all vista users do NOT I repeat do NOT hold down the windows key and the E key at the same time this apparently crashes vista and windows just continue to flood open a guy at work did this and he had to reformat his pc again to run vista again.What does the Windows key + E do? I never use that key before except windows key + D, windows key + L quite often.
Thanks for the tip Hi-Tech.

SolMiester
23-07-2007, 10:10 PM
The windows explorer shell in windows xp!, not sure in vista, will try tomorrow in a virtual session.

PedalSlammer
23-07-2007, 10:23 PM
The windows explorer shell in windows xp!, not sure in vista, will try tomorrow in a virtual session.Thank you.

Rob99
24-07-2007, 01:18 AM
I use [Windows] + [E] for explorer all the time, works fine here in Vista.

beeswax34
24-07-2007, 01:45 AM
Indeed, same on my Vista HB laptop. No problems using Win + E. A urban myth if you will.

wratterus
25-07-2007, 12:33 PM
He must have been holding it down for a long long time.....

MAC_H8ER
25-07-2007, 01:42 PM

just like if you Press the windows key then pressing the U key twice U WILL C UR SCRET LUVAS NME OMG OMG OMG IT RLY WRKS HNST

sorry bout that - but you pretty much see that all the time on youtube and the likes - pretty retarded in my opinion :P

but as for windows key + E it works fine for me :confused:

Chilling_Silence
25-07-2007, 10:41 PM
My Ubuntu Desktop running Beryl etc is still waiting to see whats so great about Aero and whatnot... ;)

Same for my laptop, which has a crappy onboard SiS 630 :P