PDA

View Full Version : Slow printing issue

somebody
22-07-2007, 12:46 PM
I have a strange issue...

I have a Canon LBP-3300 laser print. It's great (does duplexing, 21ppm), and I've been using it for several months now.

Recently I've come across an issue where it seems to take a long time for print jobs to spool, and hence it locks up whatever application is trying to print for several minutes. It also pops up the Canon Status monitor (as expected), which seems to get stuck on "Getting printer status, please wait a moment", before finally changing to "Ready to Print", and everything else releasing and working.

It's become quite infuriating, because I used to be able to hit print, and have the printer start printing within 5 -10 seconds. Now it's a 3-5min wait, with my application locking up.

From what I can gather, I haven't done anything which could have cause the problem. The only thing I can think of really is that I connected my laptop to two network printers at work this week, and they seemed to be fine. I have since deleted those printers to see if it'd make a difference, and it doesn't.

I've also done things like:
- Rebooting my machine
- Rebooting the printer
- Using a different USB cable and port
- Restarting the Print Spooler service

I want to avoid reinstalling the driver if possible, because I have a lot of saved preferences I don't want to lose.

Any ideas?

Graham L
22-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Even though you have removed the other printer "connections" your laptop might still remember the network addresses they had. The long delays do hint at lengthy fruitless searching of a non-existent network "in case they are there". ;)

somebody
22-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Thanks Graham. The problem seems to have fixed itself now, so I'll just keep an eye on it for the next few weeks.

somebody
04-08-2007, 10:47 PM
I spoke too fast... The problem has re-emerged.

I did a clean format of my computer earlier this week, and downloaded the latest drivers off the manufacturer's website.

The print jobs now spool as expected, but then take a long time before they are transferred to the printer.

Any ideas?

winmacguy
05-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Are the word files that your printing?

somebody
05-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Word, PDF, Powerpoint - everything.

Printer is Canon LBP3300 connected via USB2.

Renmoo
05-08-2007, 08:53 AM
I can only think of two things:
1) Driver incompatibility issue
2) Some other programs in the background are accessing the printer simultaneously

somebody
05-08-2007, 09:06 AM
The driver is the latest version from the Canon site, compatible with my operating system (Vista).

Renmoo
05-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Try this (may not give you anything positive):

Launch the task manager and see how many spoolsv.exe is running (should be only one).

Go to services.msc (or Vista equivalent) and see what Print Spooler is depending on to run. My XP says it needs RPC, which was once exploited by Blaster worm in order to take over the victim's PC. Maybe Vista has shut it down?

Cheers :)

somebody
05-08-2007, 05:24 PM
Only 1 copy of spoolsv.exe is running.

All dependencies are running.

What bugs me is that I haven't had any issues since I bought the printer. About 4 weeks ago, this started happening. This was at the same time other things were starting to fall apart, so I was forced to do an urgent reformat last Sunday night.

Since then, I've downloaded the latest drivers for it, but the problem still exists. It functioned without any problems for a short period of time just after the reformat.

AndrewPerriman
06-08-2007, 11:00 PM
If it's any consolation, I have been experiencing exactly the same problems with vista and the LBP3300. I also tried reinstalling vista and the latest drivers but to no avail. I suspect the problem started with an online update to vista a few weeks back. I've informed Canon but they haven't yet come back with a solution.

AndrewPerriman
06-08-2007, 11:22 PM
I've just discovered that turning the vista firewall off solves the problem. So what can be changed in the firewall settings to fix it and keep the firewall running?

somebody
07-08-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks Andrew. I think you might have got it spot on.

I've just added everything in this folder: C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3

to the exception list for Windows Firewall. That folder (for me anyway) is where all the Canon software lives.

It seems to have worked so far, so hopefully it keeps up.

kimatg
27-02-2008, 10:37 PM
I know it's been some time since this thread started... but
I'm getting the same problem with my Canon LBP3300.

Uninstalling the driver didn't help.
tried the firewall trick, only to find all the programs were already added to the exception list.

even tried stopping and restarting spoolsv.exe...
no help.

Anybody got a definite fix?
Seems like this thread's the only relevant post I can find after several hours googling...:(

somebody
28-02-2008, 08:04 AM
I think when I did it, it took a bit of tinkering, rebooting, and what-not. I can't remember if I did anything else on top of that firewall trick unfortunately.

What version of Windows are you running?

kimatg
29-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Windows Vista Home Premium (x86)

I actually found a driver software that works without a hassle,
and I have absolutely no problem on my desktop (Windows Vista Ultimate x86)
I recently formatted and reinstalled Windows, so it was the first time installing the drivers (which work.)

and tried doing the same to the laptop..
but I'm having a hard time actually "getting rid of the old driver/software" COMPLETELY.

I tried uninstalling the printer, then uninstalling through Add/Remove Program in CP,
then manually deleting everything in
%systemroot%\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3
where the canon driver is stored.

But then when I plug in the printer USB port, when it's supposed to ASK me where the driver files are (just like the first time plugging it in), it automatically loads the old driver, supposedly saved somewhere in HDD.
and I can't find that.

gary67
29-02-2008, 05:07 PM
When you uninstalled the drivers did you try a registry scan with ccleaner

ccleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/)

:2cents:

kimatg
29-02-2008, 05:15 PM
i tried manually erasing all the registry data related to "Canon".

but I don't think it's necessarily a registry issue, since the problem (as far as I think) is that I don't know how to get rid of that OLD driver files stored somewhere in Windows folder, which are automatically brought up and installed when the printer is plugged in.

Nomad
29-02-2008, 06:53 PM
I think maybe its something diff in the driver - but not necessarily a bug.
I stiill have the PCL driver for my HP 6L that I still use. When I install the old driver its fine, but when I install the PCL driver new driver or maybe the one with windows CD, it spools a long time. The only adv I think it has is that, its able to print less garble out. So maybe better for bigger jobs or complex jobs.

Rucha
06-03-2008, 04:19 AM
The same problem. It happens periodically. Doesn't matter what kind of documents are printed. I installed latest version (1.11) - same problem.

PS. I have WnXP SP2 ENG with all latest updates.

Nomad
06-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Try to install a older driver that may fix it.
On a computer win2k I think, I installed HP 6L printer supplied driver and it worked. If I installed the latest driver or windows its slow. But I did find that if you are printing a highly complex brochure it can struggle. While the newer slower driver actually do a bit better in that respect. Yes, this happens with complex 10MB PDF colorful brochures or MS Word. I believe its slow because its the driver, I have found that the latest driver for older printers that have that experience. Plus the windows drivers too.

I found that some of those instances, the printer may be somewhat older and with modern complex brochures it may struggle regardless of what driver you used.

Rucha
07-03-2008, 04:30 AM
I had older version of driver. It was the same problem.

Nomad
07-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Maybe purchase another printer.

Not restricted by, I find that if you use a older printer on a newer OS that can be an issue. Newer released manufacturer drivers are not perfect, neither are Window's, and if you use a older driver with a newer OS that may not mix as well. You don't print a lot you can dual boot diff OS.

kimatg
07-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Maybe purchase another printer.

What kind of solution is that? =_=

And apparently the driver worked fine in WinXP SP2 for me,
but since Rucha is having the same problem in XP,
dualbooting another OS wouldn't help much.

or are you suggesting we go back to 98/ME/2000 just for the sake of the printer? :P

Nomad
07-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Well I arn't god :D

You can format the hard drive and redo it and see if it works. I could just be a hardware incompatibility or maybe with some software there. Everyone has a unique computer system.'

One can go on and on with the issue, certainly you cannot spend endless amount of time on it.

kimatg
07-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Well apparently that's how I fixed the issue on my desktop.
Just clean fresh format and windows reinstall, and then installed the latest drivers, which are working now fine.

the problem with ME is that the other laptop (also Vista) which once had the old lagging drivers that I can't seem to remove completely before installing the new one. Ugh!

kimatg
27-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Okay, it's been some time since the thread started,
but finally I think I found a solution...

yea after all it was a problem with the windows firewall.
I've seen people saying add specific files to the firewall exceptions list,
but didn't work.. so I just tried adding EVERY single executable file in the folder
C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3 to the list,

and voila it worked!

however printing sharing through network still seems slow. :P