PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for D-Link 302G Generation 2 Modem?

Clod
22-07-2007, 12:25 PM
OK still have the Telecom supplied one and am fitting Netgear Router for networking. Would it be a good idea to replace the modem (already have the router) and if so what do you reccomend, I dont have a huge budget so keep that in mind. I'm asking this as a lot of people on here seem to reccomend and get better speed/consitency with anything but the 302.

decibel
22-07-2007, 02:42 PM
What is your current line speed as reported by the D-Link modem ?

If it is 7616kb/s , then you're not going to get any improvement by changing it.

Clod
22-07-2007, 07:48 PM
My last speed test was 2076 down, 123 up. This is in Oamaru, telephone line to modem about mile from nth end exchange on the great Go Large plan.

decibel
22-07-2007, 08:34 PM
My last speed test was 2076 down, 123 up. This is in Oamaru, telephone line to modem about mile from nth end exchange on the great Go Large plan.

No, I didn't mean a "speed test", I meant what does your modem report your line speed to be?

It should be a lot more than 2076 if you are only a mile from the exchange.

Browse to your modem and log in - userid and password is probably admin/admin.

Pete O'Neil
22-07-2007, 10:39 PM
No need to replace the modem, all though you may need to flash the firmware to get it to work properly with the Netgear router. You could simply plug the D-Link into a switch port on the Netgear unit but then the D-Link would be doing the routing and not the Netgear.

In order to get the D-Link 302G to work with the Smoothwall in our flat we need to use the Australian firmware that supported half-bridged mode properly.