PDA

View Full Version : Anyone having probs with the 7.7 ATI drivers?

Speedy Gonzales
21-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Because I installed them OK, they were fine for a day or two, but then CCC wouldnt open. Even tho the option was ticked, when I installed the drivers.

So, I decided to uninstall them again, and everything was ticked in the install, and I still couldnt get into CCC, it wouldnt open, even tho CCC was in startup (so the icon appears on the taskbar).

So, I decided to uninstall them again and reinstall 7.6. Which are installed atm.

Theyre fine, the icon appears on the taskbar and I can open CCC.

But it doesnt matter if I uninstall 7.6 then reinstall 7.7, or install 7.6 then 7.7, on top (which by the looks of it, the 7.7 install uninstalls 7.6 then installs 7.7).

The stupid CCC still wont open! Even tho CCC is in startup.

Just sounds a bit strange that 7.7 was fine, after I installed the drivers, but then decided to go AWOL and CCC never opened again!

pctek
21-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Isn't that just what was in that other thread on here? After he'd done some MS update?

Speedy Gonzales
21-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Could be, its just strange, that I installed 7.7 on 2 PC's here.

The other PC is fine (so far).

But yup, I also deleted its folders (7.7), etc and the registry stuff, CCC still wouldnt come up!

Might have to find some clean tool and see if that removes everything to do with ATI..I tried drivercleaner, but obviously it didnt remove enough.

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2007, 06:28 AM
Well, I THINK I know why now, looks like it maybe a known issue as stated on the ATI site.

Installing the Catalyst™ Control Center on a previously installed version may results in a warning message that the setup is installing over an earlier version, and that the previous version needs to be uninstalled before installing a more current version, resulting in the Catalyst™ Control Center failing to be installed. Further details can be found in topic number 737-28513

Altho I DID uninstall the old then the new, and then did installed the new over the old.

BUT I didnt get / see any message, when I installed the new over the old. It just uninstalled the old from what I could see, and reinstalled the new version.

It made no diff. I'll just have to wait for the next version, to see if that fixes it.

chiefnz
22-07-2007, 06:39 AM
Why don't you use ATi Tray Tools, it's heaps better than CCC and doesn't take up as much space.

I've only used CCC a few times when it first came out but hardly ever since ATi Tray Tools was released.

I'm actually running 7.5 without any problems, didn't even know 7.7 were out already. I will give them a try later when I get home.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2007, 06:45 AM
Why don't you use ATi Tray Tools, it's heaps better than CCC and doesn't take up as much space.

Actually I downloaded this last night.

So you can get just the drivers if u want and use ATI Tray Tools, and use it the same as CCC?? If you want TV out etc then?

Be a lot better for me since I'm on dialup and the drivers alone will be smaller.

Yup 7.7 came out 19/7

I'll check Tray Tools out, cheers Chief.

chiefnz
22-07-2007, 06:52 AM
I usually download the full Catalyst Driver package and then do a custom install. I just deselect the CCC option and continue with setup. I then install ATi Tray Tools.

Works great.

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Yup got it installed now, uninstalled the drivers then reinstalled 7.7 without CCC.

Works good so far.

Pity neither CCC (well it KIND of saves the settings after like 10,000 reboots) lol.

Or ATI Tray Tools, doesnt keep the resolution at the LCD's resolution when I enable TV out.

It'd save me going in display all the time.. And changing the icons on the desktop, everytime I enable/disable TV out.

Oh well cant have everything I guess.

PedalSlammer
22-07-2007, 07:51 AM
Hey Speedy,
It looks fine on the X2900XT cards, I mean overclockers club(You know what I mean probably in America or Europe) members tried it and got a gain in performance too.
What ATI card do you have?

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Umm these are ASUS A9550's or something 256mb DVI/VGA.

Or 2 DVI, if u use the adapter that came with them.

Not too worried about performance, I dont have any games anyway.

Dont overclock either.

PedalSlammer
22-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Umm these are ASUS A9550's or something 256mb DVI/VGA.

Or 2 DVI, if u use the adapter that came with them.

Not too worried about performance, I dont have any games anyway.

Dont overclock either.OK, that's cool because I havn't updated my parents computer graphics driver yet. It is Asus 9550 too.
Seeing in overlcockers forum, I mean for X2900XT it is all good and it does score higher in 3DMark06 too.
http://www.overclock.net/ati/201214-hd-2900xt-info-thread-18.html