PDA

View Full Version : Recycle Bin

07-03-2001, 12:38 AM
Help!All deleted items are bypassing the recycle bin.
I have tryed checking and unchecking bypass box under properties. Can I reinstall Win.ME again to restore this function or will I lose all data and programs on the hard drive.

07-03-2001, 03:24 PM
Hi Dave
not sure if you've already tried but worth a shot...
under Properties check the max size you have set, may pay to bump it up a little. Next have a look at the Global tab to see if you have the radio box beside 'configure drives independantly' check, try adjusting if you have. Another common reason for this that the HD is marked as removable, you can check this by ...
Control Panel
System
Device Manager tab
expand Disk Drives branch
select your HD
hit properties
Settings tab
make sure Removable isn't checked

07-03-2001, 04:10 PM
re your question...
installing windows OVER the top of itself 'generally' means you don't loose your info or your preferences but it does depend on the system etc. If the problem you've got is due to a preference setting then reinstalling may not solve it. Best bet if you are going to reinstall is backup everything first just in case. BTW..if you upgraded from previous O/S and saved the system files then you'll need to save these too. If you adjusted the setting recently have you tried System Restore?

07-03-2001, 05:38 PM
Thanks for reply.Still no joy.
When I drag a file into the recycle bin it deletes but will restore again from edit undo within recycle bin.
I may reinstall OS. Thanks again