PDA

View Full Version : Outlook file pst corrupted?

jerrybali
21-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Has anyone got any suggestions to help. I open Outlook ok but no info contacts, inbox, sent mail etc is viewable. Comes up saying my file is corrupted and need to close all mail applications and use the inbox repair tool whatever that is. I've managed now to open a new default pst file and all works ok from scratch and the old file is there, but go to open it and bingo, same deal. The file size is 2gb so I know hopefully all the info is there but how to access it??
Any help greatly appreciated
Jerrybali

gcarmich
21-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Which version of Outlook? Older version of Outlook (Pre 2003 I think) can't handle files 2GB or larger, they break.

Make a copy of the pst file and then run scanpst on the original.

You can find scanpst.exe by doing a search for it, its normally in c:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033 (Outlook 2003) or somewhere similar.

snoopy
21-07-2007, 10:41 AM
GOOGLE inbox repair tool

heaps of info.....

jerrybali
22-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yes I have searched google and now realize I might well have exceeded 2gb on older version. Will now try scanpst and other repairs such as reducing file and see how we get on. I'll let you know...

Billy T
22-07-2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the replies. Yes I have searched google and now realize I might well have exceeded 2gb on older version. Will now try scanpst and other repairs such as reducing file and see how we get on. I'll let you know...If you exceeded 2GB scanpst won't help. There is a tool out there that deals with the 2GB corruption issue and restores the file, but it does so by lopping off all the data beyond 2GB.

Since you have probably only just pushed through the 2GB barrier you would probably lose very little and could archive the rest once the file is repaired.

Do a search using terms related to the 2GB issue and you will find the software. I've seen it, but I can't remember where.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

jerrybali
23-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Well an update. Yes finally got a through the reducing process 2gbpst and scanpst etc. Seem to have to save that many backups and this compounded problems as my hard drive is at its capacity. Anyway finally got one file though but hasnt recovered any of my contacts which is the most important thing for me. It has recovered all emails from 2000 which I had forgot I had anyway. I reduced 150 mb off file so have read to start process again using incremental less reductions and seeing if file will repair. Hopefully if successful my ocntact lists will reappear - otherwise guess I try a computer expert...