PDA

View Full Version : Loosing time ?

Ron40
20-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Hi all, i have just changed my cpu for a better one and also loaded up win xp [ i took the battery out for a couple of hours then back in] but every time i boot i get the post ok, its finds everything ok, but then stops given me a choice of F1 enter setup and configure or F2 to load defaults, if i pick F2 no problems windows starts up no worries.
I have pressed F1 and entered the setup a few times and corrected the time but noticed that after i have set the time properly in BIOS, the next time i startup it loses its right time in BIOS and in windows as well, would you think a new battery would fix this ? its just that i live in the bush and takes a bit of time to get to a pc shop, i wanted to make sure i am doing the right thing first.
Thanks

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2007, 02:08 PM
I would say its the battery or u didnt save the settings, once you set the time.

Did you change all the other settings in the BIOS as well??

Apart from setting the time.

If you have a stationery shop / Foodtown / something similar, they should sell the batteries.

You dont have to go to a PC shop to get a battery.

Ron40
20-07-2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks for your quick reply, nar, i saved the settings alright so it must be the battery, i live in a small sea side village, we have a small post office they sell stationary stuff otherwise its 37 klm's to the shops, thanks once again Speedy
:thumbs:

Sweep
20-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Hi all, i have just changed my cpu for a better one and also loaded up win xp [ i took the battery out for a couple of hours then back in] but every time i boot i get the post ok, its finds everything ok, but then stops given me a choice of F1 enter setup and configure or F2 to load defaults, if i pick F2 no problems windows starts up no worries.
I have pressed F1 and entered the setup a few times and corrected the time but noticed that after i have set the time properly in BIOS, the next time i startup it loses its right time in BIOS and in windows as well, would you think a new battery would fix this ? its just that i live in the bush and takes a bit of time to get to a pc shop, i wanted to make sure i am doing the right thing first.
Thanks

Well while I would like to try and help I find difficulty in comprehending your post. Without reading any previous posts you have made on PressF1 that is.

Now I would think that if the battery is dead then the BIOS is not keeping settings as to time. But if that was the case then the BIOS will not keep other settings either. Such as whether you have a hard drive(s) and etc.

Why did you take the battery from the motherboard for a couple of hours? What motherboard do you use? Did you change jumpers on the motherboard?

What is your actual problem at this time?

Sweep
20-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Thanks for your quick reply, nar, i saved the settings alright so it must be the battery, i live in a small sea side village, we have a small post office they sell stationary stuff otherwise its 37 klm's to the shops, thanks once again Speedy
:thumbs:

So just go replace the battery then.

Graham L
20-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Since you have had the cell out, have a look to make sure you replaced it correctly. The outer case is positive (marked with a "+") and should be at the top. If it is the wrong way, it won't be connected and this would cause your problems. It won't have done any damage. ;)

Ron40
20-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Ok, battery is in and its holding good time, the problem i have now is when i startup, its finds the hard disk, Atapi cd rom, 00 USB mass storage devices found and configued, but underneath all that it get Chasis intruded ! press F1 to resume.
If i do that windows comes on and everthing is fine, anyone know what's going on here ?

Graham L
20-07-2007, 06:38 PM
The "chassis intrusion" message means that the box has been opened (in your case to get at the little cell). This is a security thing, intended for companies who don't like their employees removing inessential parts of the company computers (like memory, disk drives, video cards ...). No sense of humour, some companies. ;). That message will come up until the condition is cleared.

There will be an option in the BIOS settings which you can use to reset it. Look for a section called "security" or "passwords" or something like that.

Ron40
20-07-2007, 06:56 PM
Ok, Thanks a lot Graham. :thumbs: