PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Media PC

Ubunted
18-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Hey all,

Long time pressf1 reader, first time poster here. Now for the first and by no means the last question.

I have acquired an older PC that i want to set-up as a Media PC in my lounge. Its running Ubuntu 7.04 perfectly well and would like to keep it if possible.
Any suggestions? Any stand alone linux apps that will act as a Windows Media Centre/XBMC substitute? Maybe a combination of apps/skins/GUI. Also want to be able to stream media (MP3/.avi) from my Windows machine on the wireless network.

PC Specs if it helps

AMD Athlon 1333
512Mb Ram
80gb Hard drive
64Mb AGP Geforce MX400
DVD/RW
Wireless Network Card

Thanks in advance.

heni72847
18-07-2007, 11:34 PM
try myth tv
I haven't tried it personally though
it works as a PVR so don't know if that's an overkill for you

Rob99
19-07-2007, 12:16 AM
http://revision3.com/systm/mythtv/

Ubunted
19-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Thanks i'll check out MythTV. May as well do it properly and chuck out the old VCR. Now I need a tuner card!

CYaBro
19-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Recommend the Hauppauge cards. These are excellent with hardware MPEG2 encoding so takes all the processing off the CPU.
I have the PVR500MCE which has 2 tuners so I can record 2 different channels at the same time.
If you want to go the digital Freeview way then look at a Skystar 2 DVB-S card (requires a satellite dish - an old sky one will work)

sjaxso
19-07-2007, 11:19 AM
If you want to go the digital Freeview way then look at a Skystar 2 DVB-S card (requires a satellite dish - an old sky one will work)

Is it possible to get the sky signal into the PC/media centre? Not worried about the scrambled channels, just would like to be able to record/timeshift the free to air stuff. I have sky, but no analog aerial.

CYaBro
19-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Is it possible to get the sky signal into the PC/media centre? Not worried about the scrambled channels, just would like to be able to record/timeshift the free to air stuff. I have sky, but no analog aerial.

Yes, the Hauppauge cards have AV / s-video inputs on them as well. The PVR500MCE has two sets!
I have my sky decoder hooked up to the media PC.
What I don't have though is anyway of changing the channels on the sky decoder automatically (I don't have the required ir blaster) so if I want to watch / record a sky channel I have to set the channel manually on the decoder.
I'm using MediaPortal for watching / recording TV and XMLTVNZ for the electronic program guide.

sjaxso
19-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Yes, the Hauppauge cards have AV / s-video inputs on them as well. The PVR500MCE has two sets!
I have my sky decoder hooked up to the media PC.
What I don't have though is anyway of changing the channels on the sky decoder automatically (I don't have the required ir blaster) so if I want to watch / record a sky channel I have to set the channel manually on the decoder.
I'm using MediaPortal for watching / recording TV and XMLTVNZ for the electronic program guide.

This is priceless information. My credit card is itching already. :D cheers, cyabro!

Chilling_Silence
21-07-2007, 11:05 AM
XBMC IS being ported to Linux, you'll start seeing the fruits of it soon hopefully, its mplayer based IIRC so its just the front-end work that mostly needs to be ported...