PDA

View Full Version : Error 691...Access was denied ...

iansmcdonald
18-07-2007, 05:18 PM
Error 691
Access was denied because the username and/or password was invalid for the domain

This is the error message I'm getting when I try to connect via dialup. I am 100% certain that both un and pw are correct. So, what else could it be? The same settings work ok on a different computer, and I have typed & retyped on both good and bad computers, which is why I'm certain that un and pw are correct. And yes, I checked caps-lock.

Speedy Gonzales
18-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Check with the ISP to see if theyre having authentication issues.

aroc
18-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Try checking the phone number your accessing the domain with is the same as the one on the other computer that you can connect to the ISP with.. I had a similar experience where I knew the name and password were correct, but kept getting the 691 error, until I discovered the phone number was wrong. So I changed it back to the right one and voila, access granted..

Hope this helps..

Safari
18-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Delete the dialup account and set up a new one.
Sometimes an incorrect username or password can get locked into the dialup connection and retyping will not correct the problem.
Typing your username and password into a new dialup connection might do the trick.

pctek
19-07-2007, 07:29 AM
Error 691
This is the error message I'm getting when I try to connect via dialup. I am 100% certain that both un and pw are correct.

I have had that where the ISP - always Xtra - have it wrong at their end.
Get them to confirm username (if its new) and re-enter pwd, make them SPELL it back to you, they quite often get it wrong due to language difficulties.

And checking the obvious like caps lock....

Safari
19-07-2007, 07:34 AM
I have had that where the ISP - always Xtra - have it wrong at their end.
Get them to confirm username (if its new) and re-enter pwd, make them SPELL it back to you, they quite often get it wrong due to language difficulties.

And checking the obvious like caps lock....

All that has been covered in the original post.

"The same settings work ok on a different computer, and I have typed & retyped on both good and bad computers, which is why I'm certain that un and pw are correct. And yes, I checked caps-lock".

drcspy
19-07-2007, 08:29 AM
freenet for an example only allow you to log onto a connection account from a nominated phone number.....if you try to do that from a different location you'll get that error......you'll need to goto the website and in user settings change the log on 'from' number......or ring em they can change it

pctek
19-07-2007, 12:14 PM
The Windows logon domain check box is selected in the Options tab of the dial-up connection's Properties dialog box.
-or-
• An incorrect user name or password is used.
-or-
• The dial-up connection's security option is incorrectly configured to use the Require secured password setting.