PDA

View Full Version : ATI Driver and Video Card Issues

pwaark
18-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Hola and Salut,

I am having double trouble with my Video card. Firstly some specs

Dell Inspiron 1501
-Ati Radeon x1150 (semi integrated graphics card with 128mb of video memory, pixel shader 2.0 and vertex shader 2.0) (http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Radeon-Xpress-1150.2173.0.html)
-2gb of ram
-Amd Turion 64x2 1.8ghz processer

-Windows Vista Home Premium.

Now, for a wierd graphics card, it is a pretty well specced one. Yet I get really awful gaming performance out of it, on battlefield 2, I have to play with min settings on everything and even then it is really laggy, really really laggy on the larger maps. I have no running processes in the background that could be doing this, and it hasn't been Vista that did it either, because I had XP before and performance has only slightly decreased with vista. Any reasons at all why this should be the case? I rang dell and they told me that "my graphics card is not designed for gaming". Sure thats the truth, but regardless of what a card is designed for, I should be able to get at least half decent gaming performance out of it, shouldn't I?

Next, drivers. As part of my quest to find out what is wrong with my card, I have been hunting down all the latest drivers and installing them. This was working fine on Windows XP, and when I performed the upgrade to Vista, I managed to install the May Catalyst Display drivers and software just fine. But when when It came to june, on the install it would "Scan my pc for compatible hardware" and then pop an error message at me telling me that "there is no compatible hardware on this pc". Wierd! Any ideas why and how to fix it? I can manually install the driver, but not the catalyst software, by adding it through the driver settings for my card in vista, but catalyst has some nice tweaks that I would like to use....I am assuming it will be fixed if i just format, but I only reformatted 3 months ago when I installed Vista, so i would rather not do it again so soon.

Recap, why is my card so bad when it comes to gaming? and Why wont catalyst install?

Cheerrrssss

qazwsxokmijn
18-07-2007, 03:16 PM
X1150 is a crap onboard graphics, and generally all onboard graphics are useless. I think the best onboard graphics is the new X3000, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's as good as a GeForce 6600. But then again, the 6600 is still crap anyway.

As for your drivers, which version Catalyst are you trying to install? I think 7.6 is what you're looking for.

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/vista32/integrated-vista32.html

Hope this helps.

pctek
18-07-2007, 04:12 PM
-Ati Radeon x1150 (semi integrated graphics card with 128mb of video memory, pixel shader 2.0 and vertex shader 2.0)

-Windows Vista Home Premium.
I get really awful gaming performance out of it

There is no "semi" integrated. There's integrated and real ones.
Vista pus Integrated = rubbish gaming performance.
End of story.

pwaark
18-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Firstly, telling me what I "should have" doesn't help, because my laptop is dell and cheepo model, thus non upgradeable :P. Flippin dell losers.

With regards to the Catalyst Drivers, I have tried all of the versions, and none recognize my card any more. :S

HurnII
21-07-2007, 05:57 AM
I can't post a solution, yet, but I'm in a similar situation.

Installed Vista Ultimate (32 bit) onto a system with an ATI All-In-Wonder X1900 card. Was able to get Cat 7.4 installed, including CCC.

Recently, Microsoft updates included a newer ATI driver as part of the bundle, and I was stupid enough to allow it to install.

Result: dead CCC, stuck at 1024 x 768.

Now, attempting to install Cat 7.6 or 7.7 results in my getting what sounds like the same situation you're getting:

Install gets as far as "detecting graphics hardware" and gives initial error:

"Failed to find any installable components"

Clicking OK on that results in getting:

"There is no compatible hardware detected."

-----------

Additional data:

Not sure if this has anything to do with the situation, but the computer is a dual boot setup, with Win XP Pro on the C: drive, and Vista x86 Ultimate on the H: drive. Drives D through G are all valid drives.

-------------

Attempted fixes:

I've attempted to uninstall/reinstall all ATI software -- after the uninstall, I keep getting the "Failed to find any installable components" due to hardware detection failure.

Manually installing CCC via the .msi files looks promising, but has not worked (Still can't get CCC to open).

Side Bug:
I've been able to manually install the video driver Cat 7.7, but I was locked in at 1024x768 due to a different bug in vista - CCC (which won't open, even after manual install) defaults to my having a locked clone monitor on the Video out , even though there's no Composite or Svideo monitor attached. This bug drove me nuts when I first installed Cat 7.4 until I figured it out. Turns out if one enables extending the desktop onto the 2nd monitor, the lock is broken and the main monitor can be set larger than 1024x768.

I'm leaning towards a completely new install of Vista, and then clean install of the ATI package, which will hopefully fix things, but it'd be nice if the ATI installer could be flagged to run without auto hardware detect (a feature it does not seem to support).

If I find a fix I'll come back here and post it.

Good Luck!

Speedy Gonzales
21-07-2007, 06:11 AM
NEVER install ANY driver from the Windowsupdate site.

They WILL screw your system up COMPLETELY

pctek
21-07-2007, 07:33 AM
Use system restore or uninstall the Microsoft patches.