PDA

View Full Version : pre-paid credit cards help you avoid a bad credit rating?

lance4k
18-07-2007, 01:00 PM
when you buy pre-paid credit cards(like nz post's prezzy card) and you are required to pay at least some of it using eftpos,does this get recorded on your credit file?
Or don't pre-paid credit cards affect your credit rating because they are not recorded on your credit file?
I've never had a normal credit card before,never had hire purchase etc,so I won't even have a credit file right?
On this website http://mycreditfile.co.nz it says this:

Who starts my credit file and how?

Your credit file is initiated by the credit provider the first time you apply for credit or information we have obtained from public authorities, eg. company officer information, bankruptcy or a court judgement.

So if i've only ever had a pre-paid credit card,i won't have a credit file right?

Erayd
18-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Prepaid 'credit cards' aren't issued as a line of credit, they're a prepaid debit card. As such, they're treated as a voucher and have nothing whatsoever to do with your credit record.

You will need to apply for some form of credit (normal credit-card, bank overdraft, mortgage, personal loan etc) before you get a credit record.