PDA

View Full Version : Mini Crash

jonboy
18-07-2007, 11:20 AM
A Strange problem. When I open a folder containing certain .avi and .mpg video files, my screen flashes and looses all desktop items for a second. It then recovers. The folder that was open is no longer open and some items are missing from the notification area.

I have found that changing the four cc code of the avi can stop this, however this doesn't apply to the .mpg.

any thoughts?

wratterus
18-07-2007, 11:22 AM
What's your defalut media player?

EDIT: The PC in your sig is almost identical to mine! :lol:

jonboy
18-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Windows Media Player 11.

I have no problem opening or playing them through this. It is only when I open the folder where they are stored.

Edit: Updated sig for ya.

autechre
19-07-2007, 08:54 AM
A Strange problem. When I open a folder containing certain .avi and .mpg video files, my screen flashes and looses all desktop items for a second. It then recovers. The folder that was open is no longer open and some items are missing from the notification area.

That would be explorer crashing & restarting itself.

Possibly caused by a corrupt .avi file. I've had a few before that cause explorer to use 100% CPU when going into the folder, but not crash. Once deleted the folder opened ok.

Are you viewing the folder in thumbnail mode or list/other? If thumbnail, it could be the codec causing the crash when explorer tries to render the thumbnail from the video.

jonboy
19-07-2007, 10:24 AM
That would be explorer crashing & restarting itself.

Possibly caused by a corrupt .avi file. I've had a few before that cause explorer to use 100% CPU when going into the folder, but not crash. Once deleted the folder opened ok.

Are you viewing the folder in thumbnail mode or list/other? If thumbnail, it could be the codec causing the crash when explorer tries to render the thumbnail from the video.

Hey thanks. You got it in one. When opened in list view I have no problems.

Does any one know a fix fore this except what I have already done?