PDA

View Full Version : CD Rom not being recognised

06-03-2001, 05:15 PM
I am trying to reformat my hard drive & reinstall windows 85 but cannot get the computer to recognise my CD ROM. My CD ROM is a Matshita CR-583. I copied the config.sis and autoexec.bat from my computer before formatting the disk.

I adjusted these like this

config.sys
BUFFERS=20
FILES=60
rem DEVICE=C\SBCD\DRV\SBIDE.SYS /E:MSCD001 /P:1e8,14 /V
DEIVCE=A:\SBIDE.SYS /E:MSCD001

autoexec.bat
rem C:\SBCD\DRV\MSCDEX.EXE /E:MSCD001 /V/M:8
A:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /V/M:8

I have got an updated file from creative.com for the sbide.sys and have included this with the MSCDEX>EXE on my bootup disk.

When I boot I keep getting the following message

Creative CD-ROM Device Driver Version 1.19
Copyright Creative Technology Ltd 1994-96
No drivers found, aborting installation

No valid CDROM device drivers detected

Can you tell my why my CDROM is still not being recognised and how to fix it ?

Thanks

06-03-2001, 09:15 PM
Here are a couple of things you might try - they may sound silly... I got this info from www.winplanet.com/winplanet/tutorials/487/ so you might want to look there, or www.everythingcomputers.com/windows_boot_disk.htm

First, the silly one: try taking the backslash out of the pathname a:\ from the config.sys and autoexec.bat entries (e.g. a:sbide.sys) - stupid, I know, but stranger things have happened...

Also if you search www.windrivers.com for matsushita drivers, you get to an ftp site:
ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasonic/Drivers/OEM-CDROM and there is a file 58X_DOS.exe. This might contain a better driver for you.

Lastly and possibly best, do you have access to a Win98 computer? If so you can create a startup disk from there that contains everything you need and works fine for Win95. (Settings - Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs - Startup Disk)

07-03-2001, 06:33 PM
If you copied the Device line from your floppy into your question, then you may want to check the spelling of DEVICE, you have it as DEIVCE