PDA

View Full Version : Erratic mouse pointer

06-03-2001, 02:44 PM
My mouse pointer has recently started moving erratically. It almost behaves when I move the mouse slower, but it gets more erratic the faster I move the mouse.

I've got the MS Family network Login effort running on the computer and the mouse pointer behaves on both my wife and son's 'Logins'.

I'm running the latest version of Intellipoint for my MS Intellimouse (serial). We're running W98 with IE5.5.

06-03-2001, 03:32 PM
The only time this happens to me is when I'm running something really big and using lots of memory. Maybe you need to shut down some larger programs you may be running at the same time.

06-03-2001, 03:35 PM
...or, maybe it's time to clean the rollers in your mouse.

06-03-2001, 03:52 PM
Hi, clean your rollers and try pulling the curtains next time it starts playing up. If it fixes the problem then it's light getting in between the buttons on the mouse and messing with the trackers in it.
(This is for real, not a joke)

06-03-2001, 04:34 PM
Wow...you guys are quick, thanks for your input, but, I have cleaned the mouse ball/rollers, the problem still occurs at night, and I've recently installed an extra 32Mb of RAM and the problem occurs straight after I've logged in with (I'm hoping anyway, minimal programs running in the background). Also why doesn't it play up in my wife and son's logins?

07-03-2001, 11:07 AM
Do you run a recient virus scanner? Perhaps you have a trogen installed on you PC. (due to it only happening under your logon when on the net).

09-03-2001, 05:01 PM
Biggest clue is that it does not do it in the other profiles. You need to check what programs are starting automatically in you profile that do not in the others

31-03-2001, 07:59 PM
Thanks for your input Keith. Sorry about the tardy reply. FYI I tried logging in after having deselected everything in the start up section of the System Configuration utility that comes with Windows and the problem is still there. I did a control-alt-delete at that time and the only thing running is/was Explorer. Another thing I noticed was that the problem manifests itself immediately after typing in and entering my password at Log in. Any more ideas?