PDA

View Full Version : My Sky you pay $600 for erased content

Hitech
16-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Dear oh dear sky have made another mistake i imagine My sky subscribers will be severly pissed off paying $600 and then having everything they saved erased by sky.

:illogical :lol: :lol: :D

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10451786

kenj
16-07-2007, 01:03 PM
I agree with your smilies.... you wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Ken :waughh: :)

robbyp
16-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Can you actually make backups on DVD or computer from the recordings you have made on mysky. If not, then it up to sky to to offer compensation, or have a backup system.

Sky is a total rip off, and monopoly here in NZ. Maybe there need to be some regulation to bring in competitors, like they did with telecom.

Hitech
16-07-2007, 01:47 PM
The only competitor sky have is telstraclear but they have all sky channels as well plus some other ones that sky don't have but nothing to write home about. I suppose we just have to sit and wait like we have for the next few years until a big shake up happens who knows when that will be.

robbyp
16-07-2007, 01:53 PM
The only competitor sky have is telstraclear but they have all sky channels as well plus some other ones that sky don't have but nothing to write home about. I suppose we just have to sit and wait like we have for the next few years until a big shake up happens who knows when that will be.

There was supposed to be an asian provider coming into the nz market, who had their own satellite beaming over NZ. Movies over broadband is currently becoming a big thing in the US.

pctek
16-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Dear oh dear sky have made another mistake i imagine My sky subscribers will be severly pissed off paying $600 and then having everything they saved erased by sky.

:illogical :lol: :lol: :D

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10451786

Thats old news.
And only applies to people who got the thing. I still have my um, 7? yr old decoder.

maccrazy
16-07-2007, 03:43 PM
The only competitor sky have is telstraclear but they have all sky channels as well plus some other ones that sky don't have but nothing to write home about. I suppose we just have to sit and wait like we have for the next few years until a big shake up happens who knows when that will be.In terms of PVRs, TiVo is apparently launching (http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/pressroom/pressreleases/2007/pr2007-05-29.html) here mid-2008 and I'm sure you will see an increasing number of other PVRs for digital FTA, especially when terrestrial becomes available next year.

Chilling_Silence
16-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Still thats 200 people who're going to be severely pissed off... the article author is right, the users didnt accidentally delete or mis-lay their own tapes.

I approached TelstraClear approx 2 years back now with the idea of Movies via Broadband. They wrote me a letter back laughing in my face.
Now Im laughing at them, retards, if only they had listened to me... they could be making some serious $$

The Xbox 360 apparently will be doing more HD movies by Christmas...

Someday I hope to be getting FreeView, but not sky... this latest move has little to do with it, other than setting me in my free (read: cheap-ass) ways!

Hitech
16-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Of course telstraclear are going to laugh at you they aren't going to tell you what they have planned and why should they so the best way to shut you up was for them to laugh at you, Right now i think all the people on telstraclears tv service will be laughing at sky because that mistake didn't happen to them and neither it should considering you pay $600 for something you don't own and is prone to technical glitches now and then what a rip off being a my sky customer, Its cheaper to buy a dvd recorder with harddrive and do the same thing only thing is you cant record two channels at once but that doesnt bother most people.

PaulD
16-07-2007, 04:43 PM
I approached TelstraClear approx 2 years back now with the idea of Movies via Broadband. They wrote me a letter back laughing in my face.

You're assuming that Telstra would have had the rights to distribute in that way. They're rebroadcasting Sky probably because Sky has access to content that they don't.

paulw
16-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Another thing I have found out about tonite is that Sky over the past few weeks has disabled component output on their STB and Mysky units. Sky won't say why to people who have been pissed off by this. I only discovered it tonite when a Sony installer rang me about getting a new Sony set installed on wednesday and asked what the SCART to RGB cable was for. He asked me to check the set up to see if component was still there. It wasn't, so he is going to change the cable to a SCART to Svideo.

He's one of the pissed off ones..

Roll on TiVo ..

Hitech
16-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Well im gonna say thats absolute rubbish i have just finished with skys own set top boxes last week cause i moved to telstraclear, and both sky decoders still as of last week were working on component out puts through skys own decoders. I think the sony guy might have been pulling your leg cause a lot of the installers still set up your set top box to work on component out, A sky installer showed me himself a month ago that that is the best picture you will get.

paulw
17-07-2007, 09:12 AM
Well im gonna say thats absolute rubbish i have just finished with skys own set top boxes last week cause i moved to telstraclear, and both sky decoders still as of last week were working on component out puts through skys own decoders. I think the sony guy might have been pulling your leg cause a lot of the installers still set up your set top box to work on component out, A sky installer showed me himself a month ago that that is the best picture you will get.

Umm. The Sony guy has a MySky who output suddenly stopped about two weeks ago and he found when he went intro the menu system that the component was no longer avialable. Sky are refusing to tell him why..

I have one of the new silver STBs that was installed last year to replace one of the old black ones which died and the component setting is no longer there when you drill down only composite and Svideo

Agent_24
17-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Sky can get stuffed...

uTorrent + Mininova + search for whatever damn TV series you want

wratterus
17-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Sky can get stuffed...

uTorrent + Mininova + search for whatever damn TV series you want

:thumbs:

Hitech
17-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Sky have no right to not give an answer for this action i would ring david russell form comsumer and see what you can do as a sky customer.

Hitech
17-07-2007, 02:49 PM
I sent your question to sky in my own words to find out why they are doing this.

paulw
18-07-2007, 09:15 AM
I sent your question to sky in my own words to find out why they are doing this.

I did yesterday

This is their reply.

"Thank you for your email,

Unfortunately component (High Definition) is not due to be released early next year.

Unfortunately we have not been advised of details as to when this will be released nor cost.

Please feel free to contact SKY Television Customer Services on 0800 759759 for further information, alternatively please respond via return email and we will endeavour to reply within 48hours.

With kind regards,

At this point I give up.. Will stick with Svideo until Freeview launches DVD-T next year and maybe their STB mite have RGB out.. and then sky may go..

Mackin_NZ
18-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Another thing I have found out about tonite is that Sky over the past few weeks has disabled component output on their STB and Mysky units. Sky won't say why to people who have been pissed off by this. I only discovered it tonite when a Sony installer rang me about getting a new Sony set installed on wednesday and asked what the SCART to RGB cable was for. He asked me to check the set up to see if component was still there. It wasn't, so he is going to change the cable to a SCART to Svideo.

That's odd, I've been using MySky connected via a SCART to Component cable since I got it and it's still working fine today. The "component" option is still selected in the settings.

I didn't have any content erased as per the subject of this thread either.

The only glitch I've found is occasionally program's I've "booked" to record in the future sometimes drop off the list. A soft reset usually fixes it. I'm sure that Sky will iron out the bugs eventually, no software is ever perfect.

PaulD
18-07-2007, 10:17 AM
What has Component got to do with HD content?

From other Sky c*ckup news events it seems that they can restrict firmware updates to groups of decoders so they could be trialling updates.

Hitech
18-07-2007, 07:36 PM
Heres Skys reply.

I have checked a MYSKY decoder this morning and i can confirm that it's definately appearing in the system menu, under video output option.

This is something that SKY cannot remove as the software is preloaded onto the MYSKY decoders, if anything we are always looking
to increase the capabilities of the decoders, Look out for Sky's HD MYSKY decoder coming - Mid 2008

Please feel free to contact SKY Television Customer Services on 0800 759 759 for further information, alternatively please respond via return email and we will endeavour to reply within 48 hours.

paulw
19-07-2007, 01:46 PM
Thanx Hitech. good as usual.. :-)

PaulD
19-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Seems like a non answer to me. It doesn't matter what is originally preloaded if updates can be done via satellite.