13-07-2007, 01:53 PM
"Sony BMG Music Entertainment is suing the company that developed
anti-piracy software for its CDs, claiming the technology was defective and
cost the record company millions of dollars to settle consumer complaints
and government investigations. The software in question is the MediaMax CD
protection system, widely derided as a rootkit. Sony BMG is seeking to
recover some $12 million in damages from the Phoenix-based technology
company, according to court papers filed July 3."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/business/news/e3i214c26acb62c59b679bbbc3594def806

Graham L
13-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Sony persumably employed the other company to "protect" their CDs. What are they complaining about? The result will probably be

Lawyers: $25M, Sony: $0.

winmacguy
13-07-2007, 06:14 PM
It doesn't bother me. ;)

Greven
13-07-2007, 07:05 PM
The big question is: Did sony know the details of how their CDs were being protected before they started shipping them?

winmacguy
13-07-2007, 07:12 PM
The big question is: Did sony know the details of how their CDs were being protected before they started shipping them?

Of course they did (you just have to be able to prove it ;))

plod
13-07-2007, 07:22 PM

Sony never thought there would be such a fuss over it. would you ask for software to be made for you without going into details on what it did.
Sony asked for anti piracy, and thats what they got

winmacguy
13-07-2007, 09:23 PM
The problem Sony had was that they thought that the general public were a bunch of idiots who would never find out, kinda like Theresa Gattung, but they were WRONG! Doh!

Agent_24
15-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Sony sucks, of course they knew exactly what they were putting on their CDs..

winmacguy
15-07-2007, 06:02 PM
The rootkit only affects Windows.
I have no sympathy for any person or company who tries to limit what a person does with a music CD after they have purchased it considering how much they insist on charging for CDs by introducing a subversive method which backfires on their ass!!!

plod
15-07-2007, 10:49 PM
The rootkit only affects Windows.
I have no sympathy for any person or company who tries to limit what a person does with a music CD after they have purchased it considering how much they insist on charging for CDs by introducing a subversive method which backfires on their ass!!!

a ha, as soon as a music cd has software on it, it ceases to be a music cd instead becoming a cdrom containing music. I have returned many a cd for this reason(after copying it).

winmacguy
15-07-2007, 10:56 PM
a ha, as soon as a music cd has software on it, it ceases to be a music cd instead becoming a cdrom containing music. I have returned many a cd for this reason(after copying it).

That would be the exact reason why The Warehouse has a non return policy for purchased CD music.

plod
15-07-2007, 11:05 PM
That would be the exact reason why The Warehouse has a non return policy for purchased CD music.

not at all, they have sold you a product that is misleading, they have represented it as a music cd when it actually isn't. Not good for intended purposes.They didn't know i copied it. Just told them it wouldn't work in my computer which is my primary cd player. They quite happily refunded. and before you say that a cdrom should play in a computer, it was quite a well known fact that these cd's didn't play nicely with mac's

winmacguy
15-07-2007, 11:17 PM
semantics, although I have to admit that I have "borrowed" the original CDs to about half the music on my HD. I do however, pay for CDs from NZ artists.
I just think NZs laws regarding both copying and making backup copies are both outdated and completely irrelevant in the digital age. Drop the price of a music track to around $1 ($1.79 (17.99 album) isn't too bad compared to $29.95 for an album) so that music tracks become so cheap that pirating is nearly unnecessary - or at least not such a big deal.

As for Sony and it's root kit debacle, they deserve what ever expenses they get.

Metla
15-07-2007, 11:44 PM
And on that note.

Back to the Burning Wreck

rocks.

Buy it or die111

Agent_24
17-07-2007, 11:38 AM
not at all, they have sold you a product that is misleading, they have represented it as a music cd when it actually isn't. Not good for intended purposes.They didn't know i copied it. Just told them it wouldn't work in my computer which is my primary cd player. They quite happily refunded. and before you say that a cdrom should play in a computer, it was quite a well known fact that these cd's didn't play nicely with mac's

That's why the official "Compact Disc - Digital Audio" logo that is normally on the 2 little rectangles in the cd insert in the case, is not there anymore, as the CD does not adhere to official red book standards, they also say that in the tray insert

and yes, I recall a certain mac computer (wasn't it mac mini?) had major problems with not being able to read a certain type of protected audio CD, and refusing to eject it, and had to be taken back to the shop to get the CD removed.

So to the record companies; they make CDs that:

1) Don't work in half the players, especially car cd players
2) screw up some mac computers
3) install ****ty software to windows pcs, sometimes without asking
4) even have errors put into the CD on purpose, thus making it harder to rip

And then they still want us to pay $30 for that piece of crap and not be pissed off when it either doesn't work or screws up our computers, or sounds like **** from the inserted errors

Funny enough though, if you DO manage to copy it and burn to CD-R, your resulting CD will be perfectly fine and play just great in practically everything.

Congratulations on forcing us to copy your CDs. I hope you feel proud.

plod
17-07-2007, 11:46 AM
That's why the official "Compact Disc - Digital Audio" logo that is normally on the 2 little rectangles in the cd insert in the case, is not there anymore, as the CD does not adhere to official red book standards, they also say that in the tray insert

and yes, I recall a certain mac computer (wasn't it mac mini?) had major problems with not being able to read a certain type of protected audio CD, and refusing to eject it, and had to be taken back to the shop to get the CD removed.

So to the record companies; they make CDs that:

1) Don't work in half the players, especially car cd players
2) screw up some mac computers
3) install ****ty software to windows pcs, sometimes without asking
4) even have errors put into the CD on purpose, thus making it harder to rip

And then they still want us to pay $30 for that piece of crap and not be pissed off when it either doesn't work or screws up our computers, or sounds like **** from the inserted errors

Funny enough though, if you DO manage to copy it and burn to CD-R, your resulting CD will be perfectly fine and play just great in practically everything.

Congratulations on forcing us to copy your CDs. I hope you feel proud.

original imac i think OS9. Never happened to me but used that as excuse

winmacguy
17-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Funky little beast designed around the concept of a Sunflower that Jonny Ive saw in Steve Jobs wife's garden - or so the story goes.

plod
17-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Funky little beast designed around the concept of a Sunflower that Jonny Ive saw in Steve Jobs wife's garden - or so the story goes.

winmacguy
17-07-2007, 03:56 PM
I see Microsoft's copy protection (DRM) has been cracked again, I don't know why they bother trying.