PDA

View Full Version : I got a $200 ticket for a current WOF - beware!

Rutherford
13-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Here's the story: I went to a VTNZ testing station, my car passed and got a new WOF sticker. I checked that the circle was punched out for January, 6 months from now. A few days later I drove to Rotorua for a conference, put money in a parking meter only to return to find a pink ticket with a $200 parking fine. "What a jerk of a meter reader" I thought, there's still 15 minutes left on the meter. Looking closer the ticket stated an out of date WOF. WT*F.???!! :mad: The WOF sticker did have January punched out but it was 2007, not 2008. Cr*p! Neither I nor the VTNZ testing guy noticed the wrong year. Its funny how it happens but when there is a glaringly obvious error - the wrong year on a sticker - the mind cannot see it.

So I went to the Rotorua VTNZ, they confirmed it was the mistake of my local VTNZ station, and issued a correct 2008 sticker.

Went to Rotorua police to explain the situation; they told me to go to Rotorua district council where they said it happens a lot (wrong WOF stickers resulting in tickets). So I had to fill out a detailed explanation for the RDC to consider. Back home I went to the local VTNZ and they said at this time of the year there are two books, 2007 and 2008 and the error does happen. I didn't pop my cork at the VTNZ staff for two reasons, the women were attractive and friendly :lol: and the guy who issued the wrong sticker is a friend of mine. But I did insist that they fax Rotorua District Council to verify my explanation.

So the next time you get a WOF sticker be sure to check for the correct month and year.

johcar
13-07-2007, 06:25 PM
BTW, you can still get a ticket for WOF offenses (tread depth etc) even though you have a current WOF. The WOF really only says that, on the day it was issued, everything was up to standard. If you do a few burnouts following that, balding one or more of your tyres, you will get a ticket. Happened to a mate of mine many years ago - had an accident, tyres checked OK the week before by VTNZ, but insurance (State) said tyres not up to scratch. Not covered.... Bugger.

Rutherford
14-07-2007, 10:31 AM
I knew a guy with an EVO who had a special set of tyres he used for burn outs done at a track meet place. Smart.

Burn outs with decent tyres = Stupid. But I guess being stupid is in line with the boy racer image.