PDA

View Full Version : Dell and Vista

joholdaway
08-07-2007, 01:02 PM
Hi there all

Just got a new computer from Dell running Windows Home Basic Vista- Dimension C521. I have encountered two problems - can anyone help?

Two problems:

1. When I shut down my computer from the start menu, it doesn't actually turn off (most times). It displays "Shutting Down" and it actually never shuts down. I have to manually turn it off by holding the button on the front of the tower. This has happened over 5 times.

2. I finding my computer very slow performing regular tasks - open and closing simple text files for example. It seems to spend a lot of loading and making loading sounds, but not actually doing anythinig. Is this a valid complaint?

Cato
08-07-2007, 01:09 PM
2. I finding my computer very slow performing regular tasks - open and closing simple text files for example. It seems to spend a lot of loading and making loading sounds, but not actually doing anythinig. Is this a valid complaint?

How much RAM do you have on your machine?
I dont know about vista but all those loud sounds sound like your hard drive, I guess vista is using alot of virtual memory.

Shortcircuit
08-07-2007, 02:41 PM
Your comp may not be set up to 'shut down' when you hit the button... it could be set to go into 'power saving mode. There are quite a few options for shut down in Vista. You can go into the control panel then click on power options icon to see the choices (I prefer a straight shut down/power off when I press a button).

I bought a laptop with Home premium and 512mb of ram... it went fine even with aero effects running, so the amount of ram you have is probably not too much of an issue unless you are trying to run lots of programs at once.

The other option is a program that is not loading properly on start-up... and not unloading on shut-down, making the computer 'hang'.

If you don't know much about comps and have only just purchased it, I'd be inclined to get Dell to check it out- something's not right.

bk T
08-07-2007, 03:05 PM

I bought a laptop with Home premium and 512mb of ram... so the amount of ram you have is probably not too much of an issue

Running Vista with only 512 MB RAM ... ?!??? I don't quite agree with your above statements ... but I maybe wrong.

Big John
08-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Running Vista with only 512 MB RAM ... ?!??? I don't quite agree with your above statements ... but I maybe wrong.

Vista works fine with 512MB of ram. Mine is only using 500MB most of the time anyway. However with the price of ram the way it is why would anyone have a machine with oly 512MB.

feersumendjinn
08-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Could also be infected, try scanning your computer with your antivirus and antispyware progs.

chiefnz
08-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Running Vista with less than 1GB of RAM is alway going to create issues. Whilst it is possible to run Vista with less memory, I would think to get a decent amount of performance from the system one would install 1GB of memory at the very least to make things run a little smoother.

pctek
08-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Vista works fine with 512MB of ram.

Like XP runs with 256mb.:yuck:

CYaBro
08-07-2007, 05:43 PM
Being a Dell it most likely has Norton Internet Security or Norton 360. :yuck:
Remove that and install Avast or AVG.

george12
08-07-2007, 06:24 PM
Like XP runs with 256mb.:yuck:

Or 64MB. I've seen it done, works fine.

The only reason Dell would sell a PC with 512MB of RAM is so that they can charge to upgrade to 1GB. 1GB of their type of RAM costs about $20 more than 512MB.

Shortcircuit
08-07-2007, 09:54 PM
Running Vista with less than 1GB of RAM is alway going to create issues. Whilst it is possible to run Vista with less memory, I would think to get a decent amount of performance from the system one would install 1GB of memory at the very least to make things run a little smoother.

Actually it ran perfectly fine with 512mb... I was surprised myself, I thought it would keel over when I switched the infamous aero effects on. In fact I turned on ALL the bling I could find and no problems. Had F/fox, t/bird, OO and P/shop all going at the same time. If anything I would say the speed of the HD had more to do with things.

I dropped another 1gig in and saw very little difference.

In case you're wondering my 'experience' score was a very modest 2.0. I assume that if you had the mythical 8.0 it would open the wine for you and pour it as well :thumbs:

If you naysayers don't believe me- go out and buy your own cheap lappy and see for yourselves. :D

drcspy
09-07-2007, 03:33 AM
xp ?

Or 64MB. I've seen it done, works fine.

yeh right...........like a three legged dog with a very large dose of valium !

linw
09-07-2007, 01:09 PM
I'm with Cyabro re Nortons. Heave it and replace with less hungry ones.

Proprietary systems also come loaded with heaps of crap that want to load up at startup and, usually, want to dial home as well. This can nobble any system but with 512MB of RAM you especially don't need them. Usually I can disable 10-12 startups in any system I work on - makes a difference! The trick is knowing which ones to heave, of course! If in doubt, google the program name to see what it is.

msconfig is good for checking what is running and allows you to uncheck stuff. This way you can probably find what is stopping the shutdown.

Good luck.

SolMiester
09-07-2007, 03:59 PM
Vista works fine with 512MB of ram. Mine is only using 500MB most of the time anyway. However with the price of ram the way it is why would anyone have a machine with oly 512MB.

Well, you all must have the patience of GOD, because I have had to suffer Vista Basic on a C2D with just 512Mb ram and just about threw the damn thing out the window.

Enter an extra 1Gb and it is a different machine all together. Checking the task manager for memory showed 43% on the total 1.5Gb used, therefore when only 512Mb of ram, the pc was swapping to the hard drive and is therefore deemed underspec'd.

SolMiester
09-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Actually it ran perfectly fine with 512mb... I was surprised myself, I thought it would keel over when I switched the infamous aero effects on. In fact I turned on ALL the bling I could find and no problems. Had F/fox, t/bird, OO and P/shop all going at the same time. If anything I would say the speed of the HD had more to do with things.

I dropped another 1gig in and saw very little difference.

In case you're wondering my 'experience' score was a very modest 2.0. I assume that if you had the mythical 8.0 it would open the wine for you and pour it as well :thumbs:

If you naysayers don't believe me- go out and buy your own cheap lappy and see for yourselves. :D

I'm calling you out - Read above post..

Bantu
09-07-2007, 04:17 PM
If it is not shutting down try giving more time or check what processes are running before shut down, it is possible that it is still trying to shut stuff down before turning off.

It being slow is the lack of RAM. Minimum requirement for vista is 512kb and Dell being Dell will put in minimum of anything. Microsoft minimum is rarely enough unless your just going to run notepad and play their card games. Go back to them and add some more. 1Gb minimum or in this day and age probably more depending on what else your trying to run.

FoxyMX
09-07-2007, 04:23 PM
If it is not shutting down try giving more time or check what processes are running before shut down, it is possible that it is still trying to shut stuff down before turning off.

I agree with that. How long are you actually waiting for before assuming it has not shut down? Sometimes my PC takes a while to close down depending on what has been running as it needs time to finish saving things to the hard drive and closing the apps down properly.

And like the others say, more RAM would make a bit of a difference.

Shortcircuit
09-07-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm calling you out - Read above post..

You can call me anything you like, I don't give a stuff.

I actually bought the extra gig of ram same time as the comp... fired it up and thought to myself- 'what a waste of money' on a stick of ram. This was only a few weeks ago and alzheimers hasn't quite kicked in yet.

Yours ran like a dog, mine ran fine- end of story :badpc:

winmacguy
09-07-2007, 05:39 PM
512 MB RAM here allocated to XP Pro when it is running otherwise I have 1GB RAM for OS X 10.4 and it runs fine but 2GB would be nice when I have 4 or 5 apps up and running

SolMiester
09-07-2007, 05:54 PM
You can call me anything you like, I don't give a stuff.

I actually bought the extra gig of ram same time as the comp... fired it up and thought to myself- 'what a waste of money' on a stick of ram. This was only a few weeks ago and alzheimers hasn't quite kicked in yet.

Yours ran like a dog, mine ran fine- end of story :badpc:

Okay then, take out the 1gb stick, check the memory % used, replace the 1gb stick, $50 says when you check the memory % used, it will now include part of the new 1gb stick. Therefore the system was short memory and underspec'd.

So, you are talking out of a hole in your a**

Greven
09-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Vista won't let you enable all the fancy stuff with only 512mb RAM.

SolMiester
09-07-2007, 06:29 PM
Well Greven, I'm a bit naughty saying SC is talking out of a hole in his a**, however I'm getting pi**ed off with stupid comments from people popping sh*t out of their mouth when they know nough!

Vista DOES NOT run on 512Mb without swapping to the hard-drive period!

Shortcircuit
09-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Well Greven, I'm a bit naughty saying SC is talking out of a hole in his a**, however I'm getting pi**ed off with stupid comments from people popping sh*t out of their mouth when they know nough!

Vista DOES NOT run on 512Mb without swapping to the hard-drive period!

Yeah and I'm getting sick of so called 'techs' saying they know better than someone who actually had a computer doing it in front of them.

Have a look at some forums where people have actually run Vista on that amount of ram- note the difference between ones who have actually done it and ones who 'supposedly know someone who has tried it'.

By the way- when did I ever say that it wasn't swapping to the HD? :mad:

I was actually trying to help someone in this thread, dunno what you were doing.

Big John
09-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Well, you all must have the patience of GOD, because I have had to suffer Vista Basic on a C2D with just 512Mb ram and just about threw the damn thing out the window.

Enter an extra 1Gb and it is a different machine all together. Checking the task manager for memory showed 43% on the total 1.5Gb used, therefore when only 512Mb of ram, the pc was swapping to the hard drive and is therefore deemed underspec'd.

No I don't have the patience of a GOD. I also havea C2D but I also have an extremely fast RAID0 setup with one partition for just a swap file that makes mince meat of any swaps.
I am not saying it is perfect just that it works fine. Maybe it don't work on your machine but it certainly does on mine.

SolMiester
09-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Yeah and I'm getting sick of so called 'techs' saying they know better than someone who actually had a computer doing it in front of them.

Have a look at some forums where people have actually run Vista on that amount of ram- note the difference between ones who have actually done it and ones who 'supposedly know someone who has tried it'.

By the way- when did I ever say that it wasn't swapping to the HD? :mad:

I was actually trying to help someone in this thread, dunno what you were doing.

if you want to help someone, I suggest you keep your opinion on performance to yourself bud. A PC that swaps to the HDD IS NOT ok.
Comments like (512Mb is fine with Vista) do not help people.

The laptop in question was a DSE asus with Vista basic, i have over 16 yrs in the IT industry, so dont start with the so called tech business ok!:mad:

SolMiester
09-07-2007, 07:53 PM
No I don't have the patience of a GOD. I also havea C2D but I also have an extremely fast RAID0 setup with one partition for just a swap file that makes mince meat of any swaps.
I am not saying it is perfect just that it works fine. Maybe it don't work on your machine but it certainly does on mine.

BJ - For the love of GOD, will someone listen?.......A pc that swaps at idle is underspec'd period......While you may think thats fine and dandy, you are actually using more power (battery anyone), wear & tear etc etc.....With prices for RAM nowadays, anyone who runs their laptop without enough RAM is a fool.

Shortcircuit
09-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Comments like (512Mb is fine with Vista) do not help people.

Try getting your version of things right Solmeister-

I never said it is fine for other people to run Vista on 512mb ram.

I said: my laptop ran fine on 512mb, before I stuck another 1gig in. I had no intention of running it permanently on 512mb.

It is a fact, it is not opinion. If your Asus ran like a dog that's not my problem and there could be all sorts of reasons- HD speed/type, what sort of CPU, what services/programs you had running... I'm beginning to wonder if you even know about those things.

Give it another 16 years and you'll be an expert :thumbs:

PS- you get further if you try to help people, rather than dissing everything.

deathracer
09-07-2007, 09:03 PM
so i shouldnt have vista running on 512mb ram? cause thats what i have right now and i dont want to mess up my pc but then again i have it on my 2nd hdd so i dont really use it but i also installed home basic on my friends pc and he also only has 512mb should i remove it as soon as possible? everything seems to work fine but you never know right, sorry if im talking off topic.

linw
09-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Simply looking at the amount of RAM used in the additional stick added is not necessarily proof that the machine NEEDED that extra RAM. A modern op system should use all the RAM it is given. Why not? It is seen as just another cache which should be filled up as quickly as possible. See here for info on Vista's strategy:-
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000688.html

SolMiester
09-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Try getting your version of things right Solmeister-

I never said it is fine for other people to run Vista on 512mb ram.

I said: my laptop ran fine on 512mb, before I stuck another 1gig in. I had no intention of running it permanently on 512mb.

It is a fact, it is not opinion. If your Asus ran like a dog that's not my problem and there could be all sorts of reasons- HD speed/type, what sort of CPU, what services/programs you had running... I'm beginning to wonder if you even know about those things.

Give it another 16 years and you'll be an expert :thumbs:

PS- you get further if you try to help people, rather than dissing everything.

Give it a rest SC, you said it was fine on 512mb, i'm calling shens...you also said the extra 1gb made no difference. As I said, your talking out of your ass!

SolMiester
09-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Simply looking at the amount of RAM used in the additional stick added is not necessarily proof that the machine NEEDED that extra RAM. A modern op system should use all the RAM it is given. Why not? It is seen as just another cache which should be filled up as quickly as possible. See here for info on Vista's strategy:-
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000688.html

Its a pretty good measure in in fact!

Big John
10-07-2007, 11:32 AM
BJ - For the love of GOD, will someone listen?.......A pc that swaps at idle is underspec'd period......While you may think thats fine and dandy, you are actually using more power (battery anyone), wear & tear etc etc.....With prices for RAM nowadays, anyone who runs their laptop without enough RAM is a fool.

SolMiester for the love of anyone lsten to the me and the others and stop bleating about what YOU think is right. Mab it is for you but WHO cares.
When you cant see the difference between 512MB and 1GB then hats the issue. Who cares about wear and tear because before they wear out your PC will be lat decades technology.

You are tryin to impose YOUR commets on everyone else and not listen to anyone else. Try being open minded.

I am. I have 2GB in my machine but I KNOW that 512MB worked fine in mine (as the other guy said it worked in his) and 1 GB also worked the same.

I have said all I am going to now because he asked for help with an issue (not about how much memory he needed). I was just trying to correct your asumption but obviously you wont listen.