PDA

View Full Version : Slot 1 CPU upgrade question

Tony
07-07-2007, 10:32 AM
I am trying to upgrade an old PC with a PIII 450mhz CPU to a 600mhz CPU. I bought the "new" one on Trademe. It is a Slot 1 config.

The current installation has the cpu with an attached fan. The replacement has the cpu with an attached heatsink, which it turns out makes it too tall to fit on my mobo under the PSU.

So my question is, am I able to put the old fan on the new cpu? The fan looks like it attaches with plastic pillar pegs, but the heatsink has a metal slider clip arrangement that looks like it ought to detach, but I'm not game to try until I have more info.

See photos here: Side_1.JPG (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Side_1.JPG) (103 KB)and here: Side_2.JPG (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Side_2.JPG) (103 KB)

pctek
07-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Hmm.

They look about the same size to me. Are you sure it won't fit? Is this a desktop case????

Tony
07-07-2007, 04:50 PM
The heatsink module is a lot taller than the fan module. The fan module only just fits as it is. I can't provide exact measurements as I have re-installed the original cpu for the moment, so it is not easily accessible.

I found a website that purports to tell you how to remove the fan and replace it with a heatsink, but as far as I could tell that involved destroying the fan mounting in the process, which of course would be no good for me.

pctek
07-07-2007, 07:02 PM
So this fan part that you say is shorter, won't fit on the CPU itself?

I never did any dismantling of Slot 1 CPUs but I would have thought they're all the same. I mean if its slot 1 then the cooler would be designed to fit, whatever slot 1 cooler it is.

Tony
08-07-2007, 10:25 AM
I am sure the module would fit in the slot. The problem is that the distance between the motherboard and the bottom of the psu is too small for the new module. The heatsink bit is taller than the cpu bit by 25mm, whereas the fan bit is the same height as the cpu. If you look at the side1 picture, you can see that the heatsink (with FOXCONN printed on it) is much taller than the fan, so what I want to do is to put the fan from the old cpu onto the new cpu.

It is a mini-tower case, btw.

pctek
08-07-2007, 01:04 PM
It is a mini-tower case, btw.

Could get another case........Well just try it, worst you could do is overheat the CPU - it should warn you pretty quick if so.

Tony
08-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Could get another case........Well just try it, worst you could do is overheat the CPU - it should warn you pretty quick if so.I thought about another case - but I'd need to see it first to make sure the problem wasn't going to recur, so Trademe is probably out. I've been having a go at removing the heatsink, but the metal clip on the back is obviously designed as a one-way fitting, so I'm going to have to be fairly brutal. The fan seems to be designed not be removed also. With my luck I'll end up with them both removed, find they are not interchangeable, and then find I've broken something so I can't get the original config back together. :groan: :badpc:

Tony
08-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Well, fortune favours the brave!

The clip on the heatsink on the new unit slid sideways once I decided to be firm with it.

The fan on the old unit itself came off with a bit of levering, and there was a small heatsink beneath that that actually contacted the processor. I followed the instructions on the Overclockers website and removed that by using a case screw upside down on the desktop, resting a locating peg on it and then pressing down hard. There was the most terrifying cracking noise and the pin dislodged. Then did the same for the other three pins, and it all came apart. They were a ribbed friction fit, and the noise was the ribs passing through the hole. After that it was just a matter of cleaning off many years of dust from the fan and heatsink, a little squidge of thermal grease, and re-assembling.

I had to change a couple of jumpers on the mobo, and then it all booted up fine, showing 600Mhz, and fired up Windows Home Server RC1 with no trouble.

So in a couple of days it has gone from being 450Mhz/384mb RAM to 600mhz/1Gb RAM. I almost feel like putting some go-faster stripes on the case!

The new processor cost me $15 + postage. What did a 600mhz PIII cost when it was new?